Dunigan takes a shot at the NFL

As Canadians we often find ourselves measuring our own value by the US measuring stick. Look for example at our music industry: a lot of good bands and performers never really hit it big in Canada until they hit it big in the US. We’re just kind of insecure that way, I guess.

As for Dunigan, I think he does a good job in the booth, except for one thing he does that irritates me, and that’s the “he says”. For example, after a tackle, he’ll say something like, "Mo Lloyd comes up and he says, ‘you’re not doing that on my watch!’ " or after an interception, "Durant throws a pass and Chris Thompson says ‘thank you very much.’ " I guess it’s folksy and I know there are probably a lot of people that like that, but as for me, it grates on my nerves. I’m aware I’m probably in the minority.

But on the whole I like when Dunigan is in the booth, because that usually means Gord Miller is doing the play-by-play. Not a huge fan of Gord Miller, but he’s orders of magnitude better than Rod Black.

I love both leagues for what they are, gridiron football. But IMHO, as stated here, Dunigan is right, Tony Gabriel in his book says the same thing, the CFL rules lend themselves to more dramatics, percentage wise, then the NFL game because of the rules but like any sport or league, you can get stinkers any time.

It doesn't bother me too much. I think the final two minutes in the NFL is all part of the strategy. In the NFL you get three timeouts instead of one, so you have to use them wisely so that your team can get the ball back. Look at last night's game between the Colts and Redskins as an example.

This is a great point Chief. I’d have to side with you now, as more of the game in the NFL is indeed about clock management including those precious timeouts.

All the same otherwise considering the timeouts, I like the idea that there ought be a final play at the end of each quarter except the end of the game. :thup:

No not really, sometime one has to defend what they believe in and or their turf.

what I can't understand and really hate about the NFL is that nobody thinks the NFL has done anything wrong or needs to change anything.. until it hurts them in some way.

you cannot tell any NFL Lovin Canadians anything negative about the NFL cause they just start to talk stupid and say really childish crap.

I agree with Dunigan. I like watching NFL football but always am frustrated when there is no chance of a comeback in the last 2 minutes. I think it is not a knock on the NFL but rather an observation.

I heard the comment and I thought it was both a dig at the NFL and a compliment to the CFL. I also think he's generally right. The NFL has just so...many...stop-ages. It's even worse at a live game. The last two minutes, while not always a huge letdown, are often a forgone conclusion because of the timing. It's what got them booed off the field in England, and it's pretty easy to understand why.

I like the NFL too, sometimes, but other times it really is a snore-fest despite all that high-priced talent. The CFL just seems grittier and more "real" in the sense that you know these most of these guys are playing for a working-man's paycheck, and because the rules keep it moving. I also get frustrated with the postage stamp field in the NFL. Going vertical is great and all, but the narrowness of the field really seems to limit the creativity and athleticism; it becomes more about brute force and less about finesse.

Your are correct sir, 100%.
Like the No Funners cannot do anything wrong?
Which most of us know is pure bs.

Dinnigan also made a comment a couple of weeks back about how Blue the eyes of the ticats head coach were. He then goes on to ask Gord Miller if he didn't agree. Miller didn't know what to say. LOFR.
So I'd take a grain of salt with what ever Matt says.

Yes Riderfan.

As has been said, the NFL gets the benefit, if you will, of having all the best known players, supposedly "best players", and national US television and hype and 60,000 plus stadiums and all the media coverage. But it doesn't mean it means the games are any better overall. Which who cares, a close game is a close game in either league, I'll take a close game in the NFL over a blowout in my favourite league,the CFL, any day for my viewing pleasure.

Grey Cup, last 5 minutes of the game and one team is up 40-0 and I love the CFL over any league out there, I'm switching to the NFL if there is a close game. And any NFL fan that says they love football, would switch to a CFL game likewise.

You either love gridiron or you don't. Presentation is so "Marshall McLulahnish" IMHO. No thanks. :thdn: :thdn:

No offense MM, your were much brighter than I could ever dream to be, but I don't totally agree with your theory in it's entirety.

Kudo’s to Dunigan :thup:
NFL propaganda broadcasters(BS artists PX) have been bashing the CFL for 30 + years, , good to see our broadcaster’s dishing it back :rockin:

Love Dunnigan

I was watching the games over the weekend with some fiends and we were saying " Do we realize how much of a hole he’d leave if he was gone? He would really be missed."

I’m a big NFL fan as well and without a doubt , the TSN panel is the best IMO.

We should be thankful. We live in a good generation.

and I laughed for 2 days about Dunnigans eyes comment. Classic. He’s great. wait til he comments on Dinwoodie’s eyes.

Dunigan and Duane Forde are my favourites though rather different and Dunigan is the funny one at times …Dave Randorff seems pretty cool too in the TSN coverage.

My favourite time for Dunigan, and the best live announcing CFL moment I have heard so far, was that time during a Saturday game for Hamilton in September at IWS on a successful short-yardage quarterback sneak when Dunigan talked about not missing his days for such short yardage plays.

He explained that all the guys on the lines were all “wadded up” and with also the smell of pasta from the night before with garlic seeping out …he ended with “you don’t want to be there.”

Gord Miller’s reply after a puzzled pause was “I’m not sure I want to be here.” :lol:

Dunigan's got a bit of Walby in him, communication wise. Although not too much Walby, just the right amount to add to his presentation. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't watched an NFL game since the Bills 2nd Super Bore and I turned that game off when they spent 5 minutes on a video review of the opening kickoff. :roll:

Their game is slow, dull and plodding at the level of MLB. Give the NFL a wider field, deeper end zones, CFL style overtime, the 20 second clock and fewer timeouts and you would have a much more interesting game.

Bang on brother, couldn’t agree more. :thup:

Agreed:
Widen Field To 60 Yards And Shorter Play Clock But Not Only 20 Seconds For 4 Downs. I bet sometime in my lifetime these happen.

Disagreed:
All else and especially screw the high School Scrimmage OT BS (derived from high school football in the State of Kansas mind you). The NFL overtime the way it will be in the playoffs is great, but right now I am in the small minority who likes it. Some NFL fans will change tune once they see it.

So basically make it the CFL V.2… :roll:

The CFL is my favorite form of football, but I like the NFL for what it is. When I want to be passionately invested in a game and see wide-open action featuring real players making non-millionaire wages and not being coached into the ground, I watch the CFL. When I want to be entertained by a glitzy product and high-quality action along the ground between teams that I care about, I'll watch the NFL.

One thing I'll say about the No Fun League: Michaels and Collinsworth are light years ahead of any broadcast tandem we have in the CFL. Collinsworth is such an upgrade on Madden it's not even funny. He knows the game inside and out, he's always ready with relevant analysis of a play that was just run, and he rarely speaks in cliche. I've learned a helluva lot about football in general just from listening to Michaels and Collinswoth call a game.