Dump replay

I think the worst innovation in both the NFL and CFL has been instant replay. It slows the game down immensely and has turned the definition of a fumble, catch, drop, open handed QB drop, in bounds, etc. etc into a legaleeze debated rocket science. It’s nonsense. As John Madden said…“before all this we KNEW what a fumble was”. I agree.

the only time I’m remotely in favor s if the guy is in bounds in the end zone. Remotely.

it may even make officiating worse in that there is a supposed fallback. and it sure destroys my excitement component in both leagues waiting for a game try to achieve video game perfection.

i mean…common sense is necessary here. If you’ve ever played you KNOW the spirit of the play. You KNOW if it was completed. Its not a courtroom.

on a positive note: what a great move by the CFL to have this Moncton game.

You do know that the instant replay has been around since it was first used by the CBC on Hockey Night In Canada in 50s, yes? It been a part of sports television coverage for that long. It's seem odd to complain about it now.

What slows a game down is too many penalties (or times out in the NFL), not instant replay. And no I'm not blaming the refs for calling too many penalties :lol:

NFW as this genie is out of the bottle and for the better despite the horrible mistakes lately. How soon we forget all the calls righted well with the use of it eh?

The problem is not the technology it is the people behind it right now. They need to be washed out and dumped altogether into the middle of one of Lake Erie, the St. Lawrence River, or the Hudson Bay :stuck_out_tongue: and replaced with a new crew to use the excellent existing technology. :thup:

Note as well that EVEN with replay technology there are still a few 50-50 calls that could go either way though usually are not overturned as by rules of evidence, but it ought not be those that anger us as expressed on here as much as the obvious ones NOT overturned or upheld accordingly.

And lately as we have shared in the ref and game threads there have been a few too many not even close ones overturned or upheld when with such technology only one of those is too many!

I should have been more clear I guess.
There is a big difference between instant replay and deciding plays because of it.

NHL had instant replay to enhance viewer enjoyment…nt to overturn plays.
Surely you knew what I was a getting at…no? I want to get rid of challenges.

I don't have a huge problem with video review, I just wish they could get it right. How Jake can blow a replay call baggles the mind. Now they seem to change the rules as they go, as seen in the Toronto/Edmonton game.

They’re damned if they do and they’re damned if they don’t.

There is just no pleasing everyone when it comes to the refs.

The CFL (don't watch NFL so I don't know what it's like down south) has over complicated the issue and it has made video replay detract from the game rather than make it better by assisting the officials get the call right.

First, the officiating situation in the league is a mess. Officials on the field blowing calls, command centre blowing video replay calls and on field officials out right misintepreting and incorrectly applying rules. How can we even think about video replay when we can't even get the initial call correct?

Second, why are they so many situations that can be challenged? In the NHL there is only one thing that can be reviewed, goal/no goal. Why does football have to go beyond the obvious? For every situation you can come up with for football that is reviewed I can give you an eqivilent in hockey that is not. "Did they score or not" should be the only reviewable play. And only on that portion of the play that is directly responsible for the score. Did the ball break the plane? Did the player have possesion and control of the ball when it broke the plane? Did the ball go through the uprights? Did he step out of bounds at the 30 on his way to the end zone would not fit this criteria.

Third, why is the referee staring up into the stands during video replay? He was on the field, he is suppose to know the rules and how to apply them, should he not be looking at the play with the command centre so he can communicate his interpretation of what happened? I believe in the NFL the referee on the field goes under the hood to make the call why do we take our official out of the call making process?

Last, impose a time limit. Two minutes, three minutes the actual length is less important than having a limit the fans and players can see. Knowing there is a limit and seeing it countdown will actually give the impression that the process is faster than there was no limit.

Personally I say get rid of video review until we can find officials capable of calling the game at a level equal to that of the play of the players. If they must keep it limit its use to situations of score/no score.

I agree , was thinking of making a post likewise :thup:
Before replay the refs could "fix" bad calls by making a bad call the other way. like in hockey or mlb. time to get rid of replays nitpicking cenemeters. :thup:

So we're going to let incorrect calls stand? There's already a system that is supposed to make challenges limited and punish incorrect challenges.

Second, why are they so many situations that can be challenged? In the NHL there is only one thing that can be reviewed, goal/no goal. Why does football have to go beyond the obvious? For every situation you can come up with for football that is reviewed I can give you an equivalent in hockey that is not.
Football is an episodic sport and it is more complicated than hockey with many diverse events that impact the outcome of a game... You need to review close called fumbles, down-by-contact, pass completions and ball spots which make up the vast majority of replays and are absolutely crucial to the outcome of the game.
Third, why is the referee staring up into the stands during video replay? He was on the field, he is suppose to know the rules and how to apply them, should he not be looking at the play with the command centre so he can communicate his interpretation of what happened? I believe in the NFL the referee on the field goes under the hood to make the call why do we take our official out of the call making process?
Isn't that what they do in hockey which you beleive has it right?

CFL used to have the on-field replay in a booth like the NFL but the command centre is better equipped with multiple monitors and full control of all available replays, so they gave the decision to Toronto. This command centre is staffed by CFL officials as versed in the rules as the on-field officials. The centre has sped replay times up compared with the booth system. NCAA has a similar system where they 'go upstairs' instead of putting the ref in a phone booth.

Last, impose a time limit. Two minutes, three minutes the actual length is less important than having a limit the fans and players can see. Knowing there is a limit and seeing it countdown will actually give the impression that the process is faster than there was no limit.
Also something the CFL initially had and did away with. I'd guess they did this for two reasons. First, to get the call right. Secondly, most replays are resolved in under the 90 second they used to allot.
Personally I say get rid of video review until we can find officials capable of calling the game at a level equal to that of the play of the players. If they must keep it limit its use to situations of score/no score.
Respectfully disagree... in football there are too many situations outside of the given scoring play that can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game. The system is not perfect, but its evolving and much improved over when it was introduced. There are rules that limit challenges, rules that punish incorrect challenges and there are only a handful of things that can be challenged. As was shown today, if a play is challenged on challengeable grounds and something else is noticed, it too can be corrected...

Y'know what the problem is? Change! That's right, things were better when it was yesterday and nothing was ever controversial! But now we're in today and, GAWD, there's replay, there's talking in helmets and there's padding and safety for players. everything just sucks in comparison. Why, back in my day, there were only three quarters in football and when the clock said 14:59 you knew you'd be on your way home in fifteen minutes.

:roll:

Hardly.
Change would be to dump it.
Video replay has been in for a generation of fans.

Thanks for the history lesson gramps. Video replay has been around long enough that to get rid of it would consistute change. So would bringing in changes to the system. The people that are afraid of change are those that are willing to live with something that is broken using the moronic and illogical excuse that "things were better in my day".

:roll: right back at you :roll:

We can agree to disagree on that one. I will agree that "there are too many situations outside of the given scoring play that can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game" but that can be said of the play in any sport, yet only football (as far as I know) uses video replay to overturn calls on the playing surface not related to the scoring of points. Hockey does not review offsides yet a goal can be scored after a missed offside (Flyers fans still hold a grudge for a missed offside in the '80 final) and MLB does not review base running yet a missed call at first can lead to extra out to a team with that extra runner or the runner who should have been out scoring a run. Just 2 examples, there are many more. Other sports survive just fine, I don't see what makes football so special, especially when the state of the on field officiating is in more need of attention than whether or not the reciever had control of the ball before or after his toenail appears to be out of bounds at the 45 yard line on a 1st and 10.

Agree totally about the Moncton game. That was great.

But on the other part... do you expect the players to be honest about it? Look at the FIFA World Cup to see what happens if you don't have replay. Guys flopping all over the field due to the phantom sniper. Goals not being counted that could change the outcome of games. The officiating in that tournament was a complete disaster, and lack of replay hurt them tremendously.

Replay helps the officials get the call right, which is what matters. What the league should do is force TSN to put some of their endless parade of commercials during the time of a review, so we get less stoppages in play at other times for yet another commercial.

No kidding, or at least after showing the play 2-3 times shoot over to the cheerleaders so we can watch them instead of an endless parade of coaches with seemingly constipated looks on their faces as we listen to the banter of the commentators including especially that Cuthbert douchebag. Good Lord what gives at TSN get your priorities straight! Less Sara and those other babes mostly with useless commentary and more cheerleaders with great moves! :thup:

And screw OUR MAN CARLO! too on those breaks.

Yeah, then the officials can go upstairs and confirm it with the TSN guys... they are always right! :lol:

LOL, that actor must fear for his life walking into a sports bar.

I feel bad for Carlo. It's not a bad commercial really, but it's going into week 14 in the season now. It's time to put out a new one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Guys who want to dive and embellish to draw a penalty will always be around and video replay won't change that. Not even a reviewable aspect of any sport.

A lack of video replay hurt some games and may have affected the outcome. Having video replay in the CFL has resulted in incorrect calls still being made (at least twice that Tom Higgins will admit to) that might have affected the outcome of the game.

So how is soccer worse of than football on the lack of video replay? Looks like a draw to me.

if video replay correctly overturns the call on the field only 10% of the time, it is still worth it.

What I dont like is when the guys in the booth spend time over analyzing everyplay. You got that much time between plays, go to commercial so you dont have to hold up the play later for the commercials.