Dumb question, but I have to ask.....

Do players and coaches ever confer during the season and actually sit down and design plays together?...or do the coaches and co-ordinators do it by themselves behind closed doors and just insert the plays into practice and the playbook with no consultation with the QB and receivers or running backs ?.....

Reason I ask is that some of the running plays we do with Cobb clearly aren't playing to his strengths and do in fact seem very vanilla as some others have said. If he isn't brought into the play designing stage at this point, maybe he should ??

just curious is all.....

My guess (and that's all it is) is that much depends on how confident the coaching staff is in their own abilities (ie I doubt an egomaniac like Kelly in Winnipeg asks for or considers input from his players), and how much respect they have for the individual player, and how much experience that player has.

So, I doubt that a raw rookie like Cobb who was 4th on the depth chart at the start of the season has much input.

Using Cobb as an example, he is the running back today but may not be tomorrow. He is one of 4 RB's that could be used anytime. The coach writes the plan and the players make it work.

Execution of the play is where the players skill and style may or may not help run a successful play.
Taking the play book to the field and making it work with the players you have is the trick and is where true coaching comes into play.

When we see Kenton Kieth or Terry Caully the O will appear different yet the play book will read the same.

Just my take on that

Thanks for the responses so far.......it's helpful to know because I seriously didn't have a clue how that works....your responses make sense.

Common sense tells me that there is no standard practice
as to whether coaches allow players have input on not.

Player input is likely very minimal if it happens at all,
the offensive system is put together in the off season

A slightly different package would likely be put together
from that playbook if a different starting back is used.

No matter how well a running play is designed
if it is executed successfully it will be a success.

Simple running play are the best if they are executed successfully.

Cobb often hesitates too long waiting to see a hole
before he begins to accelertae towards the line.

Caulley doesn't, he looks for the first crevice and smashes into it.

Cobb's strength are his speed and agility once he gets through the line;
his ability to break tackles and follow his blockers in the open field,

that's why they throw him wide side swing passes and passes
straight downfield like the long one he caught on Sunday.

Cobb often hesitates too long waiting to see a hole before he begins to accelertae towards the line.
Yes, I agree with that.....he does get "stuffed" regularly on the line it seems which may be a rare weakness in his talents he brings to the table........so, that's why I thought it might be possible in the future to get his input into how plays work......and to maybe avoid those scenarios in favour of plays which spring him loose in a more timely fashion.

Like Porter, Cobb needs to learn to read defences quicker. He needs to find the hole quick, and hit it hard. If he can’t find a hole, he was try to and make his own or burst to the outside.