Drug policy a main issue to begin with for commish

I like what he is saying, even though I am someone who thinks all drug policies are flawed but every league should have one for appearance sakes anyways:

"...Cohon says he wants to get right to work on establishing a drug policy, and I can already hear a couple of the league's old-school owners saying, "Why would I want to spend money on a thing like that?"

And if he performs a minor miracle and gets them to agree, he'll no doubt face some opposition from the players association.

'THE RIGHT MESSAGE'

"From my perspective, not just as a commissioner but as a father, it's really important," Cohon said. "Most of the professional sports in North America have policies. It's important, if we want to engage young Canadians, that we do that. That's the right message." ...

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Friesen/2007/04/24/4125839-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Fr ... 9-sun.html[/url]

Testing, monitoring and enforcing
a drug policy is very expensive.

Has the B of G given him permission
to open this big can of worms?

If not, I see dark clouds looming
over Comissioner Mark Cohon's head.

or is it the shadow of Mike Lysko?

this is the wrong place to start, IMO.

there are more pressing issues than a drug policy...should do that last, after the league can afford one.

to me, this is a new commish talking b4 he finds out the details of why there isnt one already.

Maybe the NFL should assist financially if they want the overall sport of football to look cleaner if the CFL doesn't have the funds for a very basic policy. I don't know.

this is the 5th article i've read about mark cohon now, and they are all exactly the same.

they never say anything new in these articles.

they all break down like this:

-worked at MLB and NBA
-dad is founder of micky d's canada
-wants drug testing
-no crises in the CFL at the moment
-needs to bring in more sponsorship money
-all 8 BOG's approved him and he got 5 year mandate
-wants to engage young people and youtube generation

thats it...i must've read atleast 5 articles on the new commish and haven't learned anything new.

heres some versions of the exact same crap:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/197253 [url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/News/2007/04/18/4056507-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 7-sun.html[/url] [url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=15751]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15751[/url] http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/197005 http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/183532

dg, hey we'd all like him to say that he is talking with the powers to be and a new CFL stadium will be built in two years in halifax with a new team and Ottawa has a billionaire owner ready to field a team in 2008. And Hamilton is getting a new stadium, state of the art etc. And Winnipeg has broken ground on theirs, etc.

But none of this has happened yet so he can't announce much if the news hasn't yet been made. I hear ya, I want some big news too but we have to wait.

im just sick of reading the same garbage over and over.

every week theres a 'NEW' article in some paper about cohon, and they are all the same.

From the looks of him, I bet he is sick of these articles too and wants to get things going quickly and announce some real news.

too true! :thup:

There is not much more for him to do. They just signed a 5-year TV deal starting next season (I must of read this a thousand times!!!). They have a SMS in place. Every team has top-notch owners and are making money (and please no "do you have change for a hundred" jokes!) Attendance and TV viewership are at record levels.

Cohon said that instituting a substance abuse policy was a no-brainer and will be demanded by the younger generation.

It has come out that the vaunted league sponorships which were highly trumpeted by the previous administration have generated little revenue for the teams. This is one area that Cohon will have plenty of work to do.

Kinda ironic that his family poisoned us for the last 30 years with all that McD's crap and now he wants to make a statement enforcing illicit drug use on our youth ?

So true!
As health concerns go, obesity is a far greater issue today than steroid use.
Of course there is some overlap of the two issues, as it is all about maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
But as a society in general, we are quite hypocritical in the messages we send--ooh, steroids and drugs are so bad--pass the mustard.....

Part of society the hypocritical part. But sometimes it comes in handy. Take people who made their money in something that isn't viewed as maybe the most ethical, say operating a race track where some people become hooked gamblers, and then giving millions of that money back to society to hospitals and health care, in our case here in Hamilton this is what has happened.

As long as a business is legal, no one should be judged on this IMHO. But it is nice if they give back some of this money to the community in some way I think. There is nothing unethical about operating McDonald's I don't think.

There is nothing unethical about operating McDonald's I don't think
I think you mean "nothing illegal".... I'm not so sure about the ethics of running a McD.

Come on Arius, what is wrong with McD compared with just about anything else out there? So you would say McD is more unethical to operate than say a GM dealership where they hire guys to sell cars to people where the salesperson trys and sells the most expensive car to a client, but maybe not the best one? You can go on and on about this type of thing. Bottom line, absolutely nothing wrong with McD. It's a business out to make money, like all. As long as they operate under the law of the land.

I don't think my comment was intended to be taken quite as seriously as you seem to have but....
Cars are useful and serve a purpose.
Last time I checked, the fast food industry's main purpose was simply to turn a profit, and to hell with how many people die of heart attacks because of it....
And to get this in under the thread topic, while fast food/McD might operate within the law, if you could pick one of two things to benefit society--eliminate the health risks from the fast food industry, or the health risks from steroids, which one would you choose?
Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it ethical.

And on a completely different note, how come you can say "hell", but not "sucks"?

Bit Issue is this: $$.

I'd say the Top Priority after Expansion to 10 teams is getting a Game out.

Costs 1M per team and the league is getting a 750K boost per team from TSN.

Although it may take 10 teams to get a game out(8M 10 ways is 800K per team, by that time the TV deal should be around 24M total per year)

Drug Policy is just hard to do, Gotta get it by the BoG, CFLPA.

You also need to Define what is right and Wrong.

I mean who cares if a guy has minor Traces of Pot in their System?
It's not Illegal in Canada.

Same thing for any of that "stimilate" Cough medication stuff.

If it's illegal(Human Growth or a major Drug like Heroin) ok, Suspend the guy for atleast 9 games maybe a year with no pay.
But I don't want to see guys suspended from a non-illegal Drug.
Sure it isn't the correct example, but then again neither is Alcohol or smoking so are players going to get banned for that too? no, so why go after one and not the other.

1.Performance enhancing
2.ILLEGAL, CRIMINAL stuff(Heroin, Extacy) Stuff CFL players would be really stupid to do.

Arius wrote

I don't think my comment was intended to be taken quite as seriously as you seem to have but....
Cars are useful and serve a purpose.
Last time I checked, the fast food industry's main purpose was simply to turn a profit, and to hell with how many people die of heart attacks because of it....
And to get this in under the thread topic, while fast food/McD might operate within the law, if you could pick one of two things to benefit society--eliminate the health risks from the fast food industry, or the health risks from steroids, which one would you choose?
Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it ethical.

Well, I don't really agree with your thinking here, we just have different opinions here. Yes, the fast food industry affects many more citizens than does steroids, that's my take on this. But also the fast food industry is adapting to a changing consumer demand for more healthy choices with some like KFC going to a less heart damaging type of oil used for cooking and many fast food restaurants are now serving salads with low calorie dressings. And the consumer has a choice, they don't have to purchase the fattier foods if they don't want to, just like people don't have to go to the liquor store and buy alcohol.

I agree with what you're saying about legality not equalling ethics. But what is unethical to some may not be unethical to others. The law, while still open to intrepretation, does at least provide a sort of benchmark in this society for what is considered acceptable or not, an imperfect benchmark but still one based in principles of justice and some fairness regardless of religion or morality.