Draft Discussion

1st choice (7th overall): Dylan Steenbergen; OT; 6’4’’ 283 lbs
2nd choice (14th overall): Martin Bédard; tight end; 6’3’’ 240 lbs
3rd choice (15th overall): Matt Singer; O-lineman; 6’2’’ 327 lbs
4th choice (23rd overall): Nickolas Morin Soucy; D-lineman; 6’2’’ 220 lbs

Steenbergen: Projects as a keeper and at least one media list had him in the top 10 as far as prospects go.

Bedard: Versatile, will likely be converted into a fullback and can long-snap (according to Herb Z.). I like this emphasis on short-yardage specialty.

Singer: Unknown, under the radar, but Popp has been so good at finding gems in the past that I can't really doubt burning a second-round pick here.

Morin Soucy: Seems undersized for a lineman. Hopefully he can bulk up.

5th choice (24th overall): Stan Van Sichem; D-lineman; 6'2'' 235 lbs
6th choice (31st overall): Ivan Brown; D-lineman; 6'2'' 240 lbs

Popp loading up on d-linemen...

Final picks:

7th choice (39th overall): Benoit Boulanger; running back; 6'2'' 240 lbs
8th choice (47th overall): Ryan Mousseau; O-lineman; 6'3'' 238 lbs

The year that Popp was coaching the Als loded up their draft picks on lineman- none of these guys made the team. I believe with Popp coaching the CFL draft was not properly scouted that year. I hope that this years lineman rookies will be an improvement on the earlier draft.

With the drafting of Martin Bedard, I would like to see Desauliers position be replaced by a tight end. Bedard played some university at tight end and might be used in the short passing game and in both blocking and receiving on screens. This position was hardly used in 08. With his strength, I believe he would improve the blocking at that position also.

Hello Hassal ! It has been a while. Desjardins says they drafted Bedard as a long snapper. That dosen't mean that Deslauriers' s job is safe but it dosen't appear that Bedard has been signed with that in mind. Vrantsis retired due to back problems and Huclack and Duval didn't seem to be able to get it together.

I expect Steenbergen to make an impact within a couple of years, as Chiu and Lambert are on the way out. The others, who knows? I have faith in Popp's scouting ability, though.

I think it was pretty smart.

We don't lack dept in too many areas on this team. The Offensive Line is the oldest. I like the way they drafted.

Popp isn't stupid. He knows the core of any team is the line: O and D. Nothing works without a good O-line and D-line. I like his draft choices on paper.

While I was surprised that we drafted 3 offensive linemen, it will take a few years to realize if it was a good draft or not. 2 main surprises were Matt Singer -OL- in the 2nd round and Ryan Moussesau -C- in round 6.

While Mr.Popp has high hopes on Miller, he seems to be alone; Ryan Mousseau may leave football. We presently have 14 OL on the roster,including 12 non-imports.May be some surprises before beginning of season.

We now have 35 non-imports on the roster, meaning that at least 8 and as much as 10 will be let go before beginning of season; a few will return to school.

Compared or based on the 21 non-import players available/active for the 2008 Grey Cup, here are the minimum changes foreseen/projected as far as non-imports:

Departed Luke Fritz and retired Dave Mudge to be replaced by: Dylan Steenbergen and Andrew Woodruff.

Cory Huclack will be replaced by Martin Bédard as Long-snapper.

Jeff Robertshaw will be replaced by Nickolas Morin-Soucy on the defensive line; he will also be a major "player" on special teams.

Departed LB Shawn Gallant will be replaced by Stan Van Sichem, also a major player on special teams. To me, Stan Van Sichem is the "sleeper" of this draft. He played DE in University but will play as LB with the Als. 3rd fastest player -4.68- at CFL Combine; also 3rd in Bench Press. Has been playing football for only 6 years; was a hockey player and reason why he moved to Canada from Amsterdam.

Joel Wright-DB- will be replaced by Dahrrhan Diedrick-RB- who was injured.

These are the minimum changes foreseen with regards to non-imports; if Matt Singer is that good, Paul Lambert or Brian Chiu could be released.

Richard

While I was surprised that we drafted 3 offensive linemen, it will take a few years to realize if it was a good draft or not. 2 main surprises were Matt Singer -OL- in the 2nd round and Ryan Moussesau -C- in round 6.

While Mr.Popp has high hopes on Miller, he seems to be alone; Ryan Mousseau may leave football. We presently have 14 OL on the roster,including 12 non-imports.May be some surprises before beginning of season.

We now have 35 non-imports on the roster, meaning that at least 8 and as much as 10 will be let go before beginning of season; a few will return to school.

Compared or based on the 21 non-import players available/active for the 2008 Grey Cup, here are the minimum changes foreseen/projected as far as non-imports:

Departed Luke Fritz and retired Dave Mudge to be replaced by: Dylan Steenbergen and Andrew Woodruff.

Cory Huclack will be replaced by Martin Bédard as Long-snapper.

Jeff Robertshaw will be replaced by Nickolas Morin-Soucy on the defensive line; he will also be a major "player" on special teams.

Departed LB Shawn Gallant will be replaced by Stan Van Sichem, also a major player on special teams. To me, Stan Van Sichem is the "sleeper" of this draft. He played DE in University but will play as LB with the Als. 3rd fastest player -4.68- at CFL Combine; also 3rd in Bench Press. Has been playing football for only 6 years; was a hockey player and reason why he moved to Canada from Amsterdam.

Joel Wright-DB- will be replaced by Dahrrhan Diedrick-RB- who was injured.

These are the minimum changes foreseen with regards to non-imports; if Matt Singer is that good, Paul Lambert or Brian Chiu could be released.

Richard

Who is Miller?

a sixth round draft pick on Mousseau is not big deal

Surprised the Als passed over Morencie

Obviously they had a very specific list of attibutes they were looking for going in to the draft.

The Calgary and Lethbridge press is already asking Dylan if and when he'll come back to Alberta. Als should offer him a four year deal...with a little better money up front...avoid another Lefsrud situation.

Lots of guys at the FB position as well, must be to improve special teams. 3 rookies plus Diedrick, Carter and TE Bedard, that's 6

While I understand where you come from thinking trades looking at the numbers but the other teams know the Als can't hang on to all of them...

The name is Matt Singer and not Miller; my mistake. I wrote Singer on a few occasions and Miller once. Should read Singer.

Richard

Why?
There is no maximun number of non-imports that you can have.

They can use the nine game injury list as much as they want and probably will.

They won't carry six quarterbacks this year, Popp said four (there is 1 spot)

Already gone Gallant, Stala, Fritz, Mudge and Donovan gone. (another 4 spots)

These spots will be coveted by , Singer, Thind and Steenbergen the other two spots were practice roster could go to a couple Fullbacks

Guys in danger: Hucklack, Wright, Gooding, Lambert, Robertshaw (5 spots)

These spots will be coveted by Bedard, a flullback, Woodruff, Soucy

There is 10 possible roster spots right there for NI

So the Als will give the opportunity for Giffen, Soucy, Van Scichem, Singer, Lapointe, Boulanger to make Special teams
I think these guys take will fight for these spots Wright, Gallant, Gooding, Robertshaw

Special teams will be awesome this year. Larry Taylor will have a year under his belt, cover teams will be bigger and faster, Jumbo formations and short yardage should be insane. I could see Roach being moved to short yardage QB if Macpherson becomes the backup to Calvillo. I can see the short yardage team come out on the field, Can you see six or seven 300 pounder, a pair of 245 pound fullback and a 250 pound QB....Oh my...

Special teams should be awesome? I hope so, but with Scott Squires still in charge, I’m not sanguine.

They are giving Scott tons of resources to develop his special teams. It’s a team thing and I think with the support of Popp getting him the horses and Trestman alloting roster spots with ST in mind things should workout great. Coach like players grow as well. Awesome off season for the Als. Aside from losing some good assistants but that is part of the game, always has for the Als, other teams love to hate them but they have no problem hiring their people. This year was a little different, health and personal reasons.

Tell that to Marcel Bellefeuille. :wink:

I hear what you're saying, but Squires was crap last season, and crap in Edmonton, so until he shows me he's grown as a coach, he's still crap in my book.

Marce...I wonder if we'll ever know who on the Als hired him :roll: Big year for the Marcel this year...