Doug Flutie a coach?

That's the word that Flutie is looking at becoming a coach. Now, no word if it's a head coach or an assistant but that would be nice

Get him in Argoland.

He may very well help save that franchise. What a homecoming he would receive. :rockin:

grease is also the word.

from Chris Cuthbert's Blog

http://www.goldengoalsportsblog.com/
Speaking of Doug Flutie there are whispers that the CFL's all time top ranked player is considering a return to the CFL in a coaching capacity. I was more than surprised to hear the Flutie name circulating, but his family is getting older, he's no longer with ESPN, and Flutie is one of the most competitive people you will ever meet. I think its a longshot but a Flutie return to the CFL would be headline news and great for the League!

I was as big a fan as there is during Fluties career, right from boston college, but I dont see him as a successfull coach. When you are that good, it is hard to handle those that cant be as good. How many of the superstars at any sport become successful head coaches. Lancaster had to age a lot and wasnt actually the high level competitor and athlete that Flutie was.

Do you have a link? i only found one from the summer saying he wasnt going to coach in florida.

I bet he could still play decently if he's kept himself in shape. Ok, I'm just kidding .... I think. :o :wink:

Personally though, I don't think he'd make a great coach because he has too much talent and would expect guys to just improvise like he was able to do, and better than anyone I've ever seen. Can't teach that, a combo of athletic talent and mindset/brains.

Bird is the word everybody knows that.

More power to him providing he is prepared to pay his dues and come in as an assistant. If he's thinking of jumping ahead of the cue a la Matt Dunnigan and eyeballing a 400k HC job. I wouldn't hire him.

I think Lancaster is the exception to the rule. He was one of the great CFL QB's. Might be under rated today because younger fans never saw him play, but he was one of the best QB's the league has seen. I agree with the idea that talented players don't make great coaches. I don't know why but most great players turned coaches (at least in football and hockey) were not the star players. Couldn't hurt the Argos to give him a shot at offensive coordinator.

Dave Dickinson looks like a good coach and he was an excellent QB. I don't think it matters. It is like any craft, you have to work at it and learn it, there is no shortcuts. Doug is a great communicator, understands the QB position very,very well and he might be a great fit in a staff with O'Shea.

Absolutely he has more imagination and OC/QB capabilities then anyone I can think of.

You have to admit the ratio of great players turned coach to average/career minor leaguer turned coach is weighted heavily toward to average guys. I don’t know why, could be the stars have the money and don’t feel the need. Who knows. There are exceptions like Lancaster but they are few and far between. Pinball did well while he did it but couldn’t handle it long term and O’Shea and Dickenson are assistants. Many have had a hard time making the adjustment to being the head coach. Flutie definitely has the skill set to get a shot with someone if he wants to try.

Wally Buono was a fantastic player IMO. Kent Austin, Pinball Clemons...

He is hired! I would give him the special teams coordinator job for the Alouettes! It would be impossible for him not to improve this sorry squad...

I don't think it is, because the number of average guys vs stars is so slanted in itself. If 1:20 stars became a coach and 1:100 average guys became a coach, we'd still think the average guys are doing better because there's just so many more of them and most of them are entirely forgotten.

It also depends on what you mean by "average". A guy like Marcus Crandell wasn't really a superstar, but if you look at normal football careers he was also well above "average".

Good player but not a star even at his position. I don't think he ever won any awards or even an all star selection. He was good but not what I would consider in O'Shea's league as a player. More a student of the game who had the ability to translate his knowledge into coaching.

Don't know if that came out right so I will say I'm not belittling his playing career or accomplishments.

I keep forgetting that wally even played.

I get you... He's even said that. Still I remember a stretch of 3 games during the good years where he was injured and the Als didn't win a game. I think the reason we don't see many star players take up coaching is because financially they are so well off that they don't have the motivation to put in the time and work in becoming a coach. They tend to jump to the head of the cue like Gretzky, Dunnigan ... and fail because of lack of experience and knowledge.

like lancaster, I think Dunigan can still come back after a few more yrs of seasoning and do quite well.