Doping and criminal violence in the cfl

One of my professors interviews CFL players (likely argos due to location, but also possibly visiting teams) for research relating to crime in sport.
No players admit to using steroids, every player ways that they know of players who do (some recommend more than half and up to 86% use steroids). They do all however admit doping. 59/59 players admitted to doping in some way (likely hgh that cant be caught or blood doping).

Aside from the surprising amount of doping I was amazed to learn a large amount of players have been told by coaches to injure opposing stars. One case involved a player breakian opposing qb's finger in a scrum but he couldn't be identified because of the pile of people. I wonder if anyone remembers a qb's finger getting broken in a scrum?

anyways some surprising and disturbing figures I thought I would share.

I'm not surprised.

I'm somewhat confused (as per usual)

So none of the CFL players admit to using steroids, but know of players who do? (odd coincidence)
and all admit to other forms of doping like HGH but not steroids?

is this correct?

I'm surprised, surprised anyone is buying this.

No players admit to using steroids, every player (s)ays that they know of players who do...
WOW! Never saw that coming. :roll:
They do all however admit doping. 59/59 players admitted to doping in some way (likely hgh that cant be caught or blood doping).
Really? I won't admit to steroids but I will admit to hgh? :roll: :roll:
...a large amount of players have been told by coaches to injure opposing stars.
You mention one random case that you can't even back up with at least [i]one[/i] potential situation to match. You call that "a large amount"? :lol: :lol:

On top of this you want people to accept what you post as "scientific fact" (research) yet mention no university or anyone involved with the research.

Call me cynical, but it smells of poor quality trolling to me.

I don't really want to give out details of my life on the internet

but here is his book

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Game-Day-Gangsters-Deviance-Canadian-Football/dp/1927356539]http://www.amazon.com/Game-Day-Gangster ... 1927356539[/url]

I didn't ask for your life story, its not your research. What was so traumatic about supporting your post with the name of the professor doing the research. Can't see a guy selling a book being too upset you posted his name in a forum about the sport he's researching.

Take a step back and re read your original post and surely you can see how someone might be a little skeptical due to the lack of some rather basic information.

Marc has always been a class act. I don’t doubt what he writes. Every year I see some guys returning who have made Massive gains in muscle and we all know the CFL is not going to go hound players in rural Oklahoma or BC during the off season with a surprise test. So I’m sure there are plenty of guys who do one or two cycles during the off season.

Look just a couple years back the Ticats long snapper who got caught with a massive amount of steroids at the border during the off season. Who was he supplying…

We have had pretty much entire CIS programs caught pissing hot.

The league and the union hide their protocols, tolerances and test results from the fans like they do just about everything else… I have no confidence that these guys are clean. I"m sure a lot of them are but there must be a good number who are not. Given the nomadic nature of the CFL there is also the problem of guys entering the league who could have also used PED’s and give them an unfair advantage. Its not easy or cheap.

Frankly I don’t care. Its these guys living. Its just a shame they are prepared to cut 10 years off their lives to put on or off 20 pounds.

It's a popular internet pastime to post some "facts from a good source" and run off giggling. I don't understand what his problem was as he didn't need to give any info on himself and the research he was referring to was already published. If he had of dropped the book and author from the start it would have backed his post and added to it. Two clicks and I got a lot more info on the author and his various research into this and other similar areas he's researching.

prerogatives aside, I find it remarkable that players would spend vast amounts on PED’s considering CFL salaries are relatively small.
Fiscally, this practice makes little sense in Canadian pro ball unless you are a QB or elite receiver, positions which are less likely to need drugs to succeed.
It is understandable why NFL players take these risks however.

and curiously, all players interviewed admit to doping of some kind, (except steroids) yet do not relay the substance(s) to the author.
The OP suggests it may be HGH or blood doping although it could easily be other ergogenic aids such as over the counter androgen precursors, stimulants, (especially amphetamines, caffeine or cocaine) or various supplements like the now popular velvet antler spray.
(most of which are banned substances in pro sports/competitions)

HGH could certainly be used in the CFL for size/strength purposes, however is a very expensive drug which must be stored at specific refrigerated temperatures which makes it difficult to transport, while blood doping is highly unlikely as it is used primarily for extreme endurance sports.

We don't even know how,when,if and what the CFL tests or does not test for...

It makes even less sense at the CIS level but it still happens

Stallone's HGH consumption costs roughly $1300.00 US a day. No CFL player can afford that.

my only issue was that by knowing who my professor is you know which university I attend.
Apologies if I inspired non-confidence I just thought it was an interesting study relating to the cfl and thought I should share.

No issue with me Marc. I appreciate the post. Its one of the ugly hidden aspects of pro sports. Shine your light !

Thanks very much for posting that MarcWagz. Much appreciated. I'm sure far more of this goes on than is publicly disclosed. And I'm sure your prof wouldn't fabricate this sort of stuff. Occasionally info about this athlete or that athlete is disclosed and it makes the headlines. Case in point? The recent disclose about Canadian cyclist Ryder Hesjedal. And of course there was Lance Armstrong and others.

In the world of professional sport, with so much on the line it is understandable why some players resort to such tactics to get the edge over the competition. Condoning is quite a different matter.

It would not surprise me about some coaches condoning violence on the field. It appears more blatant in the NHL with the so called "enforcers" but I'm sure some players who are considered "dirty" players will try to get away with what they can.

You don't need to back up what you have said MarcWagz or provide so called documented proof. In fact you don't have to convince anyone about your integrity. A little common sense would tell a reasonable person that you are only sharing what you have learned. Whether you choose to believe what you've been told is your choice as it is ours. :thup:

I got a lot more out of it when I could read about his book and read about him and his research. Without support it looked possibly sketchy (the internet does have a few that like to boast and run just for fun). I can understand your paranoia with identity and it's certainly well placed, but I was just looking for back up to the story. The messengers name is not important.

The doping thing would not be surprising, but I seriously doubt many players in the CFL ever act with the intent to injure. That just doesn't check out with everything we've seen over the years.

But they may be "asked" to by certain coaches. That's really the claim here.

I'm sure there are plenty of PED's and HGH's circulating through CFL locker rooms. And recreational drugs are no surprise, as I knew a guy who used to party with some Ticat players, quite a long time ago. I had only his word that they were doing those things, and as I was still fairly young and naive, and looked up to these guys, I chose not to believe it. But realistically, I knew.

When you consider the number of coaches, assistant coaches, positional coaches, etc., who have come through this league, it is quite plausible that there have been some who have directed their players to injure an opponent. I like to believe that none of the current crop are like that, though. But maybe I'm just being naive again.

The CFL is a small, tight community where it’s tough to keep secrets. The performance drugs thing I can buy into, but I just can’t accept that there’s ever been a coach in this league (who’s stayed here for any duration) that would have encouraged his players to purposefully injure another. That would have to be an extremely rare individual, and an even rarer circumstance.

I don't think it is "generalized" but I'm sure its happened. Probably less now.