Don't forget your food donations for Labour Day

In honour of Peter Dyakowski's very moving video, I felt obligated to start a reminder thread about the food drive. Bring food or money.

For those who haven't watched the video, it's nice to see the serious side of Dyakowski.... lmao! "with a fatty like Cleo Lemon" that guy kills me.

Here are the details regarding the Purolator Tackle Hunger program's stop at Ivor Wynne Stadium for the Labour Day Classic:

Purolator, in association with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Tiger-Cats Alumni Association, is proud to host the eighth annual Purolator Tackle Hunger food drive in support of Hamilton Food Share at the Tiger-Cats vs. Argonauts game on September 6 at Ivor Wynne Stadium. All proceeds from the food drive will support Hamilton Food Share.

Purolator is encouraging Hamilton football fans to help tackle hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item or cash donation to the Purolator volunteers and Tiger-Cats Alumni stationed at the stadium gates.
In return, fans will have the opportunity to receive a souvenir photo with the Grey Cup and enter a draw to win two tickets to the 2010 Grey Cup in Edmonton. In addition to the food drive, every time a CFL quarterback gets sacked throughout the regular season, Purolator will donate the equivalent of the quarterback's weight in food to the CFL hometown food bank.

Since 2003, Hamilton football fans have helped raise 131,880 pounds of food for Hamilton Food Share through the Purolator Tackle Hunger program.

All proceeds from the food drive will support Hamilton Food Share, which distributes food to local food banks who serve more than 18,600 Hamiltonians every month, and which approximately 44 per cent of whom are children. Most needed non-perishable food donations include canned meat and fish, pasta sauce and dry pasta, cold cereal, peanut butter, canned vegetables, baby food and formula, fruit cups and powdered milk.

New this year, fans can text TACKLE to 30333 to make a one-time donation of $5, which will be added to people's mobile phone bill. One hundred per cent of the proceeds support Food Banks Canada. As well, fans can log onto cfl.ca/purolator to find information about Purolator Tackle Hunger, Game Day Food Drives, donate to Food Banks Canada online as well as access Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on Purolator Tackle Hunger.

Tell Mayor Big Fred to bring his usual can of SPAM :lol:

Although you can't do this at the game, those who have large veggie gardens can always share the harvest with your local food bank.

One year I planted 48 beefsteak tomato plants and we had a growing season like this year..........I boxed up probably about 500 tomatoes as they became ripe and took them to the food bank on the mountain for distribution to people in need........they were very appreciative to have fresh veggies.

So if you have an abundance of tomatoes and cucumbers etc, now you know what to do with them :thup: