Don Wittman 1936-2008

From TSN
Don Wittmen lost his battle with Cancer

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20080119/wittman_48377.jpg

WINNIPEG - Don Wittman, whose smooth baritone voice called some of Canada's most signifiant sports, has died of cancer. He was 71.

http://www.tsn.ca/headlines/news_story/?ID=227698

From the CBC

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/feature-don-wittman.html]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/featur ... ttman.html[/url]

For 10 years after Don stopped doing CFL broadcasts, people still thought of him as the voice of the game. That says everything about the impact he made on football fans. His call of the thrilling final few minutes of Saskatchewan's 1989 Grey Cup win in Toronto stands out as a brilliant piece of work. The Riders were going to win the Cup for the first time in 23 years and Don knew just how to bring it home, neither understated nor over the top. He had a decade in the broadcast booth with Ron Lancaster and they were the best duo in the business.

But, when he wasn't working with "Caster," as Don called him, it seemed he was always breaking in a new analyst. Don must hold the record for working with rookie analysts in any number of sports. "If he's just starting, put him with Witt because he makes it easy," seemed to be the judgment of our producers.

Our production meetings the day before the telecast always concluded with Don running something called the numbers game. I wouldn't say we were ever unfocused but it certainly felt, at times, like no one was paying attention until we got to the numbers game. It cost the loser $10. Sometimes, we'd play as many as 10 rounds and Don would purchase $100 worth of lottery tickets and we never won a red cent.

When you think about it, two sports are more prominent than others in western Canada. Every little hamlet seems to have an arena and a curling rink in the shadow of its grain elevator and Don's voice was just as prominent in curling as it was in hockey.

Don Duguid, a former world champion, was his first partner in the broadcast booth and he would tell you — as would Duguid's successors Joan McCusker and Mike Harris — that Witt had a deep-seeded knowledge of the game but he never felt compelled to clutter the broadcast with it. He preferred, instead, to lead his analysts, never forgetting what his job was. It's one of the reasons his calls at the Brier, Tournament of Hearts and Olympics could be used as a teaching tool for young broadcasters everywhere.

Don had actually planned, after a few months of aggressive treatment for cancer, to return to work on Dec. 15th and call the Grand Slam of Curling on CBC but, alas, his condition took a turn for the worse the week before.

Don Wittman was more than a great broadcaster. He was a fighter and his full-on brawl with cancer was something to marvel at. He was diagnosed in the fall but continued to work, telling no one other than his family, of his condition. He called both the Toronto marathon and a hockey game in Ottawa before he had to stop for treatment. He never thought he wouldn't return to work.

When I talked to him a few days before Christmas, he took issue with the invitations to his career tribute party we were planning for him in Winnipeg on Jan. 8. We called it his retirement party.

"I never said I was retiring," he said.

"Point taken," I said. And he agreed he would unretire just as soon as he felt up to it.

Great broadcaster; better family man

Don's performance with family outdid his work in the broadcast booth. He was a loving husband and father. He leaves us too early but he leaves safe in the knowledge he and wife Judy raised three beautiful, successful children. Isn't this all any parent can ask?

Don and Judy showed Karen, Kristan and David the way and the children followed. All three are highly-educated professionals making their mark in the world. Karen's three-year-old daughter Katie was Don's pride and joy. She's still a rugrat, so it would only have been a few more years before Don had her running the numbers game.

Did I make a difference? Did I do my job as a father and a husband? The answers to those questions define a life and the life of our colleague, Don Wittman, was a rousing success.

He will be missed.
one of the greatest Sports voices to call a Grey Cup

First Don Chevrier.....and now Don Wittman.
We have lost two excellent broadcasters. They certainly made their mark with their great work in the world of sports.
Thanks fellas.

The best CFL play by play man ever on any network. imo.

Agreed!

Loved it when he was teamed with Frank Rigney

An excellent announcer with the versatility to call the play-by-play clearly for many different sports. Condolences to Don Wittman's family.

I saw Don at the Purple Heart Lounge at the Brier last year. He was having a "hot stove" session with Mike Harris and Joan McCusker. He had a lot of good stories and I really got an appreciation for what he had accomplished in his life. I'll miss him.

absolutely my fav off all time. his voice is legendary.

Class person and professional.

I heard the news last night during the Habs game. My sincere condolences to his family.

To me, he was the voice of the CFL. No one called a better game, especially a Grey Cup game.

Pat Marsden, Don Chevrier, and Don Wittman: the voices that shaped my CFL experiences as a youth and young adult...although one doesn't have the men at the mic anymore, it's those distinctive voices that will always be imprinted on my television memories of my favourite sport.

My condolences to the Wittman family and his many friends.

Oski Wee Wee,

God bless you Don. Some of my fondest CFL memories include your voice calling the games.

Again, cancer has taken a great person from us.

Everyone, please live healthy, learn how to prevent cancer in you and your family and get checked regularly.

Lastly, give generously to the cancer charity you choose.

Together we can help alot of people and remember those who fought this disease valiantly.

Cancer my take their earthly bodies from us, but it can't take the memories we have and the impact they had on us. It is those things that will keep our lost friends with us forever.

Sincerely,
Jarrett Harris
Founder of CFL Fans Fight Cancer

A great announcer, he will be truly missed.