Does Tommy Condell Deserve A Shot As A CFL Head Coach?

Does current Argos receiver coach Tommy Condell deserve a shot as a CFL head coach? With the recent success of offensive co-ordinators becoming CFL head coaches (Campbell, Maas, Dickenson etc.) does Condell earn the right to join that club. I believe he does (and I bet Zach Collaros does too) and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Hamilton in the future. What say you??

Condell has no head coaching experience
Left Ticats in a bind stepping away late after all the good coordinators had jobs/screwed Hamilton.
Austin has 2 years remaining on a lucrative deal.
all adds up to NO CHANCE IN HELL he will be joining Hamilton any time soon.

Totally agree...his timing was suspect and hurt us to to end. Not in a million years here! I'm vindictive :rockin:

....and Campbell, Maas, and Dickenson did have head coaching experience??

Man, this is always a tough call isn't it? Most HCs come up 'through the ranks' including a stint as a co-ordinator. But the list of misses is probably longer than the list of hits? Guys like Sutherin, Benevides, LaPolice, Thorpe, Reed, Milanovich, Bellefeuille Taffe, Cortez. And even for the 'good' ones, if they stay around any length of time, their coaching records usually run close to .500, and the 'great' ones not much better, maybe .600? Trouble is, hiring a coach is one of those jobs that you never know how successful he'll be until he actually does it. Even the good ones can go sour when they change teams, and vice versa.

I remember Ronnie Lancaster's first go 'round as HC in Regina - so bad it put him in the broadcast booth for a few years. Like someone's signature line on these forums says, more or less: my ability to coach improves with the skill of my players.

When he was with the cats, he still ran an unbalanced(pass happy) offence. He may have had a better relationship with Zach than Austin does...we'd have to ask Zac that. I think I'd take Milanovich over Condell, if I had the choice. Can't see Austin relinquishing the head coaching reins though.

Do we really know if Condell just quit or was forced to in one way or another by Austin?

8) Condell did not leave on his on volition !! I have been told by reliable sources why he left so abrubtly, but I am not
   at liberty to tell you that story !!  Let's just say it was not a mutual, happy ending, regarding his tenure in Hamilton.

All I can say is that Zach has never been the same QB since Condell left, and Zach loved his offence, and was quite 
   happy  and very comfortable  playing under Condells offence !!

Is Condell ready to become a HC in the CFL...the simple answer to that is ....Definitely  YES !!!

I predict that the average win percentage for the 9 head coaches in 2017 will be .500. Same as last year - and next year.

A more serious answer ...

No one "deserves" anything. Condell could probably get interviews, and then he has to prove himself. He could probably make a good case, though not as good as if he had been the coordinator of a team that won it all.

Barriers he may have to overcome:

• not even a coordinator anymore - now a receivers coach - may need to climb back up the ranks
  • possible perception that he was just running Austin's offence and not his own - at least that's what we all thought when he coached for us
  • and if he truly had a falling out with Austin, the people doing the hiring may not be as certain as the people on this board that the fault lies 100% with Austin - who does, after all, have a decades-long track record in the CFL
  • His current head coach ain't going nowhere anytime soon, so the "promotion" route may be years away

I'm no math scholar, but if every game has a winner and loser, or ends in a tie, the average is guaranteed to be .500 is it not :slight_smile: ?

For what it's worth, I agree, ExPat.

Ever since Condell suddenly and mysteriously disappeared from the Tiger cats, there seems to be a whole lot of blame put on Kent Austin.

First, and foremost, we DON'T know why the former OC left town. Secondly, what reason is there to blame the head coach, especially as nothing's been explained publicly about the matter. Perhaps, Tom has a problem with authority, perhaps he disagreed with Kent over offensive philosophy. And since Austin is his boss, the boss has the final say. Like it or not. Those of us who do the 9 to 5 ritual know that rule well.

Condell has worked with the man and for the man for sometime, so nothing should have been a surprise when they arrived in Hamilton. A lot has been assumed about Kent Austin's work personality. Not much has been offered about Tommy Condell's demeanour.

Let's not automatically put the finger on the person who stays as to why the departed has moved on.

It's surprising that word has never come out, publicly, on why and how the sudden Condell departure came about.
There must be, at least, several, if not many, "CFL insiders" within the league, its teams and covering media who know the story.

It's unfair to throw out such a comment without naming the source. You can say it's "reliable", but everyone has their own standard for such a thing.

Unless we hear from one or both of the two people involved then what you're offering is nothing more than hearsay.

... 8) Condell did not leave on his on volition !! I have been told by reliable sources why he left so abrubtly, but I am not at liberty to tell you that story !! ...
Great example of why these forums are fun but not serious. I would love to hear your version of the story of why Coach Condell left so abruptly. I suspect the version you've heard has little in common with the version I heard. 8)
It's unfair to throw out such a comment without naming the source. You can say it's "reliable", but everyone has their own standard for such a thing. Unless we hear from one or both of the two people involved then what you're offering is nothing more than hearsay.
Absolutely correct. Having an anonymous member of these forums quote another anonymous source is right out of Monty Python. It would be like me telling you that a friend of mine had a friend who assured him that Justin Trudeau was a Martian, and then trying to use that valuable information to convince you to vote against him in the next election. Or perhaps a reason to vote for him? :wink: For the record: I love Coach Condell and think he is a very talented football coach. As to whether or not he'd make a great Head Coach? - I'll leave that to the smarter posters here than me.

So you're saying Justin Trudeau is a Martian? I knew it!

Perhaps and certain control freak had something to do with him leaving. He has 2 puppets as his coordinators now