Does Montreal have a new owner?

Gary seems very matter of fact.

Like that as owners they are looking for a strong management team to run the team.

Despite his open discussion of being nervous in public speaking, handled all the questions very directly.
2 Things I especially liked. comment about owners, and he flat out guaranteed the french media, that the president will speak french.

So now every team seems to have, except for BC, dedicated strong owner looking to grow the game and support their teams.

Didn’t throw out the idea of investing in a new stadium down the road, if the fans and city back the team. Probably could find someone to supply the steel?

Loved his sincerity and lack of polish, which I hope the media doesn’t jump on. Also looks like they have some bucks according to what came out. ie other groups needing partners and the lack of hesitation to buy the team.

I think Spiegal wasn’t there because he’s an old dude and probably doesn’t travel too well (I know he said he had family issues).

But aside from that speculation, everyone at this site (some more than others) and the media came out looking like horse’s asses on this story. Everyone thought they knew what was going on and knew jackshit and some posted negatively just to provide FUD, Shame!

Hope it turns out well for these guys.

No one looked like an Horse’s ass. This city has been putting up with lack of transparency with this process for a year. Angry prospective investors and a fan base dealing with a POS for the last seven years… (The Son).

Now that MTL has been sold and a price has been set, could the BC Lions be sold soon??
They do come with an expensive practice facility in Surrey already.
My bet is the NHL Canucks will purchase them, lots of synergy in that the Arena is next to BC Place,
combine ticket offices, advertising, sales staff, etc.

Mod Edit:

Let’s keep posts on topic.

If you have a private message for another poster, send him a PM.

I think the local media are really the ones looking silly. So many of them focused on getting the story first as opposed to getting it right.

Understood Herb Z had health issues to work through but he made the most noise and dug in places where the sun didn’t shine.

His twitter feed is relatively quiet today for such a big announcement. Not replying to anyone either unlike his feeds from his ‘sources’.

Too bad Stern and Siegel didn’t come on the scene sooner. This sale could have been done before last season and save the other owners some $$$ along the way.

It would be great news if that came to fruition. I don’t think they can use the Als as a benchmark, Braley is gonna do as he wants, same as he did with the Argos. Only this time I hope the team isn’t buried before a good owner comes along.

He looked like a horse’s ass with his tweets, I looked like a horse’s ass for believing him and thinking he had sources, HfxTFC looked like a horse’s ass for making up BS and posting every made up negative outcome possible. I guess I am glad we were all wrong.

How is replying to posts not on topic? Here we go again.

Congratulations to Montreal and their fans. I’m glad it got settled.

X2.

Just hope these guys are in it for the long haul, not just as a fun investment which turns sour after a couple of seasons and then we find ourselves right back at the start again.

This is always a concern, especially for out of town owners.

We shall wait and see.

Just to clarify Grover, the Surrey practice field may have been state-of-the-art in the mid 80’s but is woefully outdated now. Braley doesn’t own it either, I believe it’s leased from the city of Surrey.

The potential owner(s) gets no concessions or parking from BC Place. My guess is that an Aquilini ownership bid would likely only come with an accepted offer to PavCo for private ownership of the Provincial Crown corporation. Unlikely.

Would prefer an owner that is more passionate about the Leos/CFL.

They (Lions) own the practice facility.

Oh yeah! Solid new owners!

When do we play them Ticats?! :slight_smile:

The potential owner(s) gets no concessions or parking from BC Place.
Yes they get no concessions, but,

The rent at BC Place is a gift, rent free on the first $9M in ticket sales

The BC Lions pay no rent on the first $9 million of net ticket sales to play at BC Place Stadium

and a small % of net ticket sales after the first $9M, so they don’t pay rent until after $9M in ticket sales

After the rent-free $9 million, the Lions are charged 10 per cent on the next million, 12.5 per cent on the next million, 15 per cent on the next million, 17.5 per cent on the next million and 20 per cent on all amounts over $13 million.

I have to say when I first saw Randy I thought it might not be the news I was expecting. And then the announcement was a shock. For good or bad everything seemed to come out, I just hope people give them a chance before putting the knives in, so far it seems to be the case.

Pavco also charges $3 per ticket sold, so in effect the Lions do pay rent below $9 million in sales. They just pay more rent after that threshold is met.

No Kidding, Ambrosie looked mad sitting there prior to the announcement.

Almost for a second thought they were up their about to tell us the team will be suspended until new owners found.

then the sky cleared.

I thought so too. In the last two times I’ve seen Randy he has seemed more nervous than he has been in the past, I hope this relieves some stress for him.

I’m sure this has been a yoke around his neck for the better part of a year now. Wants the league to be bigger and have a global footprint. Not easy to tout when there’s issues with one of the teams back home. League owned teams are never a good look with investors and the media.

One big checkmark done on his list. Getting the Lions sold soon would be nice but not as pressing, if the Halifax stadium/team happens then it’s not a bad stretch under his watch considering the challenges.

Great news .