Does anyone else find 3DownNation as sketchy as i do?

I know its a rare CFL source, but i find them to be almost like the Enquirer with their BS.

1 Like

What's Arash Madani's problem anyways?

I have no issues with 3Down....it free for heaven's sake...if it bothers you enough to start a thread to complain...then for your own sanity maybe avoid it?

2 Likes

I just read the article and I think he’s just being a realist...ya it’s negative but closer to what will actually happen especially if the tweet and 3Down article about testing costs at $1million per team is accurate. It was from Ambrosie.

2 Likes

Arash, quite often, sees CFL happenings differently than other observers because he, having worked for two of its teams, has a better understanding, than many of the others, about how things work in the league, I appreciate, and consider that, when reading, or hearing, his thoughts.

As for 3downnation, I appreciate all the information, and opinions, I've got from the site. Like reading each other's thoughts, in this forum, where we each have certain contributors who we tend to believe and agree with more often, than others, it's the same, for me, with reporters and observers from here, there, and everywhere.

2 Likes

I "conquer" , ottawacat . Recently they dropped the comment section which often times became a bar room brawl . I prefer the new format but I choose not to read any Madani contributions , as I find him to be too anti-CFL .
Speaking of testing , we now have the McMaster Covid saliva test in our building . I wonder how much it costs ? That seems to be a major issue with the CFL .

Pat Lynch ( a big ottawacat fan)

2 Likes

No it doesn't bother me , i read it, but i take the things they say with a grain of salt .

Why criticize 3Dnation? there are not enough news/information sources of CFL football as it is.

1 Like

I did mention that.

Maybe because they lost any semblance of journalistic objectivity once they cut ties with The Spectator? The fact that they STILL "publish" click-bait articles with "Manziel" in the headlines? How about the fact that they quote goofs (and I fully understand the real meaning of the term in Hamilton) like Madani and Pederson and treat them as gospel? Notice how the vast majority of articles are written by "3Down Staff" (IOW, Justin Dunk, but he's probably too embarrassed to sign his name) rather than an actual human? The "Insider Talk" from a bunch of anonymous CFL insiders (read: made up) gossiping like a bunch of old hens?

I agree, it's one of the few places you cas still actually get some semblance of CFL news. Unfortunately, you have to wade through the cess-pit of JD's "publish or perish, click$ = dollar$" or team fan-boi drivel to find it.

2 Likes

I like it and read it daily. It started as Drew Edward's Sratching Post Ticat website ( remember?).
I appreciate it for covering my favorite league. I like their podcast as well.
The constant video playing at all times is something I can live without for sure.

1 Like

That was an excellent blog. 3DN was great while Drew was still actually the Spec's beat reporter, with Milton as the journalist. It went downhill fast during Drew's feud with Austin. Honestly, by that time, 7 years in that job was too long, and The Spec fell on it's face when he wasn't replaced. When 3DN became focused on income rather than accurate reporting...

3 Down is like a car crash that you can’t help but slow down to look at. You may not like it, you may feel guilty for looking at it, but in the end you’ll probably read the articles anyway. Let’s face it, there’s not much coverage of the league outside of CFL.ca. Local news has been decimated, bigger newspapers like the Star and Globe and Mail barely mention it, and it’s even hard to find much coverage on TSN these days.
Some of 3 Down is not bad, I actually enjoy reading John Hodge stuff, he’s probably the best they’ve got. JC Abbott seems to have some decent insight on Canadian and global players.
If nothing else, it gives a bit of counterpoint to CFL.ca which tows the company line. There is a lot of fluff and click bait stuff on there for sure, but considering the league hasn’t played a game in nearly a year and a half, at least they keep us updated on some of the goings on, even if it’s through an anti- league / pro- player slant.

5 Likes

We don't need the big newspapers to get sports.
All the CFL news I need comes from TSN, sportsnet, MSN.ca, the Sun, CFL.ca, 3Dnation. You just have to google CFL and find all kinds of CFL stories.
I could see people complaining about a lack of coverage years ago before the internet and streaming but we do not need these major or local newspapers for sports coverage.
As Dyland said "the times have changed" or was it "the times are changing"?

On this quiet Sunday, with nothing much coming from other sources, the 3down guys provide a couple of interesting reads:

1 Like

I think it was" the times ,they are achangen.'

1 Like

I feel like he is a disgruntled employee
He def seems "in the know" but everything is so negative all the time

2 Likes

Welcome to the media in the 2020's, where being first and having clickbait articles is more important than having accurate and non biased information.

3 Likes

Madani is paid by Sportsnet. He appeared on a podcast hosted by some guy named Derek Taylor, who is apparently affiliated with the Roughriders. 3DN published some of the comments made on that podcast.

If you have a problem with the comments themselves, there are several other parties you should probably blame before 3DN.

If you think that merely publishing comments means an outlet is presenting them as "gospel", you don't really understand how these sites work. Anyway, they also gave very prominent placement to Ambrosie's earlier statements - the ones that Madani was questioning. Were Ambrosie's statements also presented as "gospel"? If so, we've just seen some distinctly contradictory gospel material. (Not unlike the actual Bible, but that's a whole other topic.)

If you expect 3DN to publish only content that supports your personal opinions ... please see first sentence of previous paragraph.

Personally, I don't have infinite time to seek out random podcasts and tweets about the CFL. If someone else is willing to do so, and to republish the bits they deem interesting, I appreciate the efforts and will check that page for updates. If I deem a certain article to be non-newsworthy or to lack credibility, I will move on and likely never think about it again.

5 Likes

For CFL news, I prefer the feed from CFL News Twitter. Has lots of links many sources including 3down.

Not always fluff pieces there but it's good 'hub' for news and much less agenda driven