Do you watch games that don’t involve your team?

oh ok. i’ve got some sports package deal thing with my cable so they come all as one bundle, along with the sportsnet channels too (omg hockey soon). i don’t really watch much other TV at all tho.

Yeah, I’ve read this by many who have tier packages that just have TSN1 and miss out on a lot of games. I think they could rebroadcast the other games shown on TSN 2-5 to their primary later on in the evening or even if they put them on the odd overnight hours and/or the next early morning slot . They’re greedy enough not to put a game on free CTV, then they might as well take care of all their TSN customers this way.

1 Like

I don’t think they can air on CTV. TSN is a subsidiary, but legally not the same corporate entity. Therefore CTV doesn’t share the same rights to the CFL.

I do agree that TSN should be airing all games in such a way that they are visible on a coast to coast feed, and it isn’t right that people need to buy the full package of channels instead of just the national feed.

1 Like

Had no idea the PVR existed that long. I seem to remember it being referred as DVR first and now PVR. In any case. I watch all the games that way and select NFL as well. Cut all the commercials and save about 45 min-1 hr viewing time depending on the league.
Does take a bit of avoidance to not know the score from others who blurt it out though. Going to ELKS games live and on the train back and forth, people are talking and I try to block them out as much as possible to watch the late game when I get home without knowing the outcome. Usually works out ok.

I can tell you that in Manitoba PVR’s became available in the spring of 2005 and I got my first one in June 2005. Paid $700 then. Same as what I paid for my first DVD player in the 1990’s when they came out.

I believe they were available earlier in the US as TIVO was a word already in use so it could be about two decades since they were available.

I got my latest PVR (my eighth) in June of this year. I’m with Shaw and they won’t give you a PVR with a hard drive as everything is now in the cloud. They also pre program them so that you can’t automatically skip recording commercials like you can with Tivo. You have to fast forward through them.

2 Likes

Jon Jetson lol

omg i loved the Jetsons. but i think you meant George Jetson

No I was quoting Jon
Deliberate name mashup

1 Like

ooooh ok my bad :+1:t3: DOH

what’s weird and funny is i’m wearing a jetsons t-shirt :grin:

1 Like

I am with Shaw too, I am still using an old 3400 and 3500 pvr, they want me to upgrade but I keep asking them “why?” I did not know about the ability to skip commercial recording, can that be done with the 34/3500?

I think it can be done with any PVR. The problem in Canada and with Shaw in particular is that they order PVR’s en masse and specify to the manufacturer what features they want and what to disable. So the commercial skipping TIVO like feature is disabled. I don’t think Bell is any different but don’t know if there are any service providers in Canada anywhere that will allow you to use that feature. Maybe someone knows if there are.

i actually think there’s a hack for this. something like powering down and then entering a certain number sequence. saw it years ago on a tech forum

That wouldn’t surprise me but I am no tecchie so couldn’t say for sure.

I’m with Bell. The way I skip commercials is pressing a button that skips forward 30 seconds. There’s also a button that skips backwards 10 seconds. With a combination of these two buttons you can skip forward 10, 20, 30, 40 seconds. All useful when trying to get to the next play. But there’s no automatic “commercial skip”. I just have to skip 30 seconds a number of times.

good thing I watch games that dont involve my team, because I dont own a team :slight_smile:

1 Like

don’t make me edit the title smart ass LOL :rofl:

1 Like

Shaw used to have a similar system but I believe it was a 15 second skip both backwards and forwards. That was more convenient than just FF. The new Shaw box and remote only allow for 15 seconds back. No forward skip other than 5 minutes, which is only useful for halftime skipping.

2 Likes

wait whut? i’m confused, my Smellus pvr lets me FF or RW as much as i want and up to 3x fast, during live or while recording. i go back quarters live mid game to watch a specific play them jump forward again to live without missing anything.

are we talking about the same thing or am i just confused? i’m a bit brain fogged atm

The PVR that AYC and I are talking about does the same thing. In fact up to 5x forward or reverse. We are talking about a skip button, which mine no longer has for forward. It was convenient when I had a 15 second forward skip as two clicks would get you through one commercial quickly.

yea mine does 5x too, that was a typo on my part.

ok i wasn’t sure but now that makes sense. i don’t ever use my skip feature.