Do you think the Lions have a good chance?

With Calvillo out of the game this Friday, do you think the Lions have a good chance of winning? What do you guys think? Do you think Montreal is a little worried- just a leeeetle bit? Or do you figure that it doesn't matter how few points the opposition gets, they'll still come out ahead with or without their starting QB- given the state of our present O line?

My reasoning is this: With Calvillo out, the Lions D may do well at giving Montreal very little. Being the low scoring team B.C. currently is, it's paramount that the Lions D keep Montreal in check to carve out a win. It's not that the Lions O cannot score, the boys are just not prolific scorers.

If Leak starts on Friday for Montreal I hope the Lions have his number and know his weaknesses inside out. I'm looking for B.C. interceptions on Friday- maybe even a run back into the end zone.

It's do or die for Chris Leak to show what he's made of the way I see it now, and I am taking the "under" and picking the Lions for this one even on the road.

Otherwise without a power offence, other than John Bowman after his terrible first game, I am not very impressed by the Montreal defence.

Montreal does remain dangerous on special teams though, and if Leak sucks it up yet the Lions are really going to blow this one it would be I would guess via turnovers and bad special teams defence.

It would be interesting to see if Leak is pulled quickly by the 2nd quarter if he stinks it up and Santos replaces him too or if Trestman sticks with Leak until the end of the 3rd if the Al's are still behind by more than a field goal.

I'd be surprised if either Leak did not shine or fall flat on his face whatever the result, and I am eager to find out for once if Leak can step up to the winning level in the CFL or pretty much kiss his football career good-bye.

I am guessing that Leak does not get a second chance this season if he absolutely stinks up this one and why should he?

I say the game is for the Lions' taking lest they manage to find a way to defeat themselves or if Printers gets hurt early.

If the Lions D can capitalize on mistakes made and shorten the field substantially or even score, maybe.
If not, I don't think so. The Lions still have the worst O-line in the CFL by far and run the most predictable offense in the league.

Having the quarterback roll-out under pressure and throw a jump ball for Geroy Simon or Emmanuel Arcenaux isn't going to fool the Alouettes.

its in the bag. we'll be all over them like a pit bull on a poodle.

It should be close. If Cobourne plays , he may well be the difference. If he doesn’t play , the Lions will win a tight one.

While I too am picking the Lions to win on the road, I don’t see why it’s do or die for Chris Leak. This will be his first time starting a pro football game. Why is his entire future suddenly riding on one game? It took Calvillo years to become the player he is today.

Otherwise without a power offence, other than John Bowman after his terrible first game, I am not very impressed by the Montreal defence.
We've had our ups and downs this season, for sure, but we did hold the Lions to 12 points and won the last meeting despite our offense not scoring a single offensive touchdown. We hung on to beat the Riders despite our offense going completely MIA in the second half of the game and beat Hamilton despite not scoring our first major of the game until the fourth quarter.

Now, all of this is no guarantee that we’ll win tomorrow, but it does mean that our defense is capable of making big plays when we need them.

Montreal does remain dangerous on special teams though, and if Leak sucks it up yet the Lions are really going to blow this one it would be I would guess via turnovers and bad special teams defence.
Actually, special teams have been an issue for us too. Duval has been inconsistent both in placekicking and in directional punting and we've had issues on kick coverage and defending trick plays on third down.
It would be interesting to see if Leak is pulled quickly by the 2nd quarter if he stinks it up and Santos replaces him too or if Trestman sticks with Leak until the end of the 3rd if the Al's are still behind by more than a field goal.

I’d be surprised if either Leak did not shine or fall flat on his face whatever the result, and I am eager to find out for once if Leak can step up to the winning level in the CFL or pretty much kiss his football career good-bye.

I am guessing that Leak does not get a second chance this season if he absolutely stinks up this one and why should he?

I say the game is for the Lions’ taking lest they manage to find a way to defeat themselves or if Printers gets hurt early.

Again, I don’t get the rancor toward Leak. He’s a good young QB prospect who needs time and seasoning just like Zabransky, Lulay, or anyone else. He had a rough start coming in to replace Calvillo against the Bombers but settled down and led the Als on two fourth-quarter TD drives that effectively put the game out of the Bombers’ reach.

I don't think AC's absence will factor into a Lion's win. Leak will likely pick apart our secondary with short passes. We'll probably see a lot of Cahoon, screen passes to Coburn. I doubt we'll see too much long attempts. Our zone pass coverage allows way too much room for the passing game. I wish I had more faith in our offense; I just honestly don't think they are buying into Chapdelaine's 'mundane' system this year. I know Wally wants Casey to succeed; I just don't think he has it in him anymore. So, my guess is that we'll see Montreal win. It won't be a blowout like Calgary's game. We'll probably see Travis come in by the end of the 3rd quarter to try and rally the troops again, albeit too late. I'm sorry, but this team has become too predictable. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I eat my words, and BC smacks them good. Please! Prove me wrong, Lions!

I remember when Edmonton had their starting QB go down, the Lions were first up and ready to chow down on the replacement guy Ricky Ray. Suffice to say we kick started his career.

I have nothing against Leak and am a Florida fan too mind you. I am referencing what looks to me like a real pressure-cooker situation for him up there as far as I can tell given the fundamentals on the ground for this game as described above. That’s just my outside view and you are on the inside of the matter as a devout fan, so of course I have to be missing something too. The open question is will Trestman be able to be patient to develop Leak given what’s on his plate should Leak suck it up? Would the fans and the ownership be more patient up there with Leak than it appears from many of the forum comments the fans are with Lulay in BC already decrying him and rightly so?

Again, I’ll just say that it is Chris Leak’s first pro start. I don’t think Trestman, Milanovich, or anyone else is going to write him off even if he has a poor game. We may be last year’s champions, but we’re just the same as every other team this year. No points awarded in the standings for being last year’s champs. :wink: This year’s offense has had a series of problems on the offensive line beginning with Chiu’s unexpected retirement which forced Lambert to move to center, a position at which he has not been stellar thus far. We’ve tried Brodeur-Jourdain, Seagraves, and Woodruff at left guard with no obvious winner at the moment. And the defense hasn’t been nearly as effective as it was last season when we led the league in most significant statistical categories. To boot, we’re playing a desperate team that has dropped seven straight; statistically, the odds of a team continuing to lose when the losing streak is already this long are not that great. I see tonight’s game as a trap game for us: we ‘should’ win, because we’re at home, where we haven’t lost in nearly two years, and the Lions are struggling this season, but that’s what makes it a trap game.

This BC defense is the same unit that held Calvillo to 0 TDs in the last meeting. They’re not chumps and their front four are very athletic. If Leak struggles, it’s almost to be expected.

Excellent points again, and I was thinking of the threat posed by Maypray when I made the comment as well as how the Al's would win via Lions mistakes even if Leak sucks it up. In that latter case, I wonder if the fans will give Leak too much of a pass?
For sure, I think fans will cut Leak slack if we find a way to win the game. But they should cut him some slack even if we lose. Quarterback development is an art, not a science, and requires time, patience, and the right system.
I have nothing against Leak and am a Florida fan too mind you. I am referencing what looks to me like a real pressure-cooker situation for him up there as far as I can tell given the fundamentals on the ground for this game as described above. That's just my outside view and you are on the inside of the matter as a devout fan, so of course I have to be missing something too. The open question is will Trestman be able to be patient to develop Leak given what's on his plate should Leak suck it up? Would the fans and the ownership be more patient up there with Leak than it appears from many of the forum comments the fans are with Lulay in BC already decrying him and rightly so?
I guess I'm one of the few who feel that Lulay is being given a bad rap. This season is the first in which he's seen any kind of regular playing time, yet fans are crapping on him because Buono can't put together a decent O-line and Chapdelaine is an awful offensive coordinator? Bah. ;) It is already difficult for a young QB to become a starter even on a veteran team in a good system with quality offensive minds. Trestman runs a fairly complex timing offense that isn't mastered overnight. I think he'll be patient with Leak. That being said, McPherson is close to being healthy again, and Marc has already said that when healthy McPherson is the no. 2, so regardless of whether Leak plays well or not, the BC game might be his only game as a starter this season.

everything says that the lions should outscore the als 2.5 to 1

However, my gut doesnt beleive it. I think the lions win next week.

Your gut doesn’t believe it? It’s making rumbling noises again is it? Hmmm…when was the last time you ate?

2.5 to 1 is quite a spread FBYB. Gotta love your optimism. Now, would that be something in the neighborhood of like 10-4 for the Lions or a whopping 45-18 for the Leos? More likely a low scoring game given that the Lions have trouble finding the end zone. Now you have me really looking forward to the game!

Putting on the retro “81” uniform and strapping on my helmet - getting ready to RUMBLE !

Lets hope the Mighty Casey can come through for the Lions. :thup:

I was thinking that since they scored 35 against the leagues best defense, and held AC to 16 in their last meeting, that all things being equal 40-10 should be possible, but I went a little bit more conservative and would say that all things lion being equal, 30-12 would not surprise me. But thats on paper, so to speak. My gut says Leak gets it done and his running slows up BC’s defense, and that the 35 scored against calgary was an anomoly.

our D is up to any challenge - double that if the O can drop the piano and make some friggin hay.

The verdict is in after only three quarters. Chris Leak sucks. It's best the Al's ditch him later this year and give Santos a shot now. Sit down Chris. :frowning:

yup, Santos was a big improvement.

I guess my head knew better than my gut this time around :smiley:

take away the last garbage time td, and I was only 2 pts off for the leos. :slight_smile:

Oy. Paolo, I know you have an enormous wealth of football knowledge, and I know you’re smarter than the post you just made.

Santos came in during garbage time in the fourth quarter and made some plays, definitely, but against an indifferent BC defense who also had no film on him at all.

Leak was actually playing fairly well until the picks, which happened because our coaches called a boring unimaginative game that left Leak in second and long way too often. And our receivers dropped key balls at key times. If Richardson makes the damn datch in the end zone against Phillips, it’s a TD, we’re up 7-3, and more importantly, Leak gets confidence that he can do the job.

Our defense also broke down at critical times, and special teams was awful all night (did I not call our problems with covering the kicker on punts? McCallum ran 10 yards before I even saw an Als jersey enter the picture).

I’m stunned how quick fans are to write off a young QB making his first pro start. As if any starter in the league, barring Ricky Ray, was instantly successful when he first broke into the league.