Do you think the Bombers would be better off privately owned

Do you think the Bombers would be better off privately owned?

...reasons are quite obvious....and what a way to get a fresh start and get this team back some respectabilitiy....

there is something very canadian about being community owned. it doesn't buy into the capitalistic everything is business mindset. on the otherhand that can be a problem occasionally. overall i am happy the way it is.

Lotto 6/49 jackpot tonight is 40 millions $.

A CFL team can be bought at around 8 millions $.

There you go, happy bunch of daydreamers!

...I would have agreed with you about keeping the community owned status awhile ago....blackdale....but unfortunately times have changed...and you really have to go with the change....Aspers would be great owners....Winnipegers...born and bred....

I don't know, but the current ownership in the Peg clearly isn't getting it done. I'm all for Winnipeg becoming a private ownership team but if the club gets into trouble, it should be bought back by the people of Winnipeg and become a community team again. It's like a circle.

Being a Menshevik, I'd rather have the Bombers owned by the Community, by something needs to be done to make the Bombers better.

the problem with community ownership is that the board of governers are not worried about losing their own money. they get comfortable in the position on the board and don't feel the need to suceed. just the need to maintain their income. for this reason the business plan should include rotation on the board according to the success of the team. if the team is deemed successful they keep their seat. if they are not successful then changes need to be made. not sure exactly how this would work logistaicaly though.

as for the aspers. i respect his passion but do not beleive the sons are as trustworthy or intelligent as their father was.

if it becomes private it will never be public again. that would be political suicide.

...there just isn't the cash flow we ahould have to keep pace for talent... the way things are now Kanga...sure we have the big rainy-day fund ...but after that's spent....and that will probably be next year....what happens then....Aspers are billionaires.....and sound business managers....I would feel very good about the Bombers being in their hands...they just love the team and the city....and I'm sure they would turn this team into a winner... :arrow:

Business men (sucessful) will do much better ownig a franchise then a community owned team. To make money money needs to be spent. A private owner would put this investment in place and eventually it will pay off. The Aspers would be excellent!

Hey there RedandWhite.

Good question. It would work if Winnipeg wasn't a communitee of animals that eat their own young. Heck, just try being a volunteer director and see what it gets you around here.
On the plus side of private ownership we'd know what effigy to burn. On the downside, we could have a situation like the Jets - where the owner had no clue about the game and hired idiots he liked as management.
I like public ownership. Less bloodshed.

Didn't the Asper family try recently to purchase the team?

Ottawa tried and look where they are at .

Privatization is the best way for everything. Hell if we had someone rich enough here in Sask I’d demand they buy the Riders off of us fans.

Not quite UR, the Brisbane Bears were the Frost private club in the AFL/VFL and they almost folded cuz they were bankrupt after a few seasons because of mismanagement.

if every team was community owned, maybe the league would have an easier time putting a HARD CAP in place????...

what do u guys think ?

Kanga....WHY the ***k would you PM me to say 'MAYBE' to this question???......if your just gonna say 'maybe' dont respond at all.....and Don't PM for that!!!!!

WELL EEEXXXCCCUUUSSSEEE ME!!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ANY INSIGHT TO ADD TO THAT SO INSIDE OF "WASTING SPACE" I PMED YOU!!! BUT I HOPE THAT THE OTHERS WILL GIVE YOU YOUR ANSWER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!!!

GOOD GOD DGOD AND THIS IS ALSO FOR EVERYONE ELSE THAT HATES ME, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO "FREE SPEECH"!!! JC!!!

No it wouldn't you need the players on board and we did see what happened with the NHL. There is something in the works!

Quote from gostampsgo.com Ted Hellard president of the Calgary Stampeders and one of the ownership group.

Ruff Rider I am a staunch proponent of the salary cap...however I feel it will take more than a simple cap to create a more level playing field for all teams...I would like to see larger rosters, equalization draft, a weighted canadian draft, protected practise rosters,closer player owner relationships with respect to joint input on the direction of the league.....more structured in season tryouts, to be honest and a lot more ...the league is presently working with a committee to try to bring forward a more progressive salary management system which would incorporate many of the above concepts, as a member of this group I will do my best to level the field although you might be surprised that the present spending by teams is closer than you think.....

good stuff....thanks for that nice little tidbit