Do we need to change some rules here?

Do you find that the little red rag is being dropped way too much on punt and kick returns? We see a great run back and it's almost always called back for holding! Now I'm not suggesting that some of these calls aren't justified but others I don't know. Players coming down the field whether taught by design or have figured out that if you pull off a spin move or just twist their shoulders the guy covering you is going to get called. The refs seem to let a ton of holding calls go on the line I wonder if the league should look at the return part of the game to see if they could reacess how they award a penalty. By doing so they could make this part of the game more exciting.

Well, there is a fine line there, I think you can basically do a very quick grab and as long as the would=be tackler doesn't change direction or is impeded with this quick grab, they let it go. But something should be called if it's more than a quick grab or if it's a quick grab and the guy has to slow down or is impeded as I say, the flag needs to be thrown IMHO. This isn't wrestling for pete sakes.

Proportionally, I don't think flags are being called more frequently on kickoffs or punt returns. It's just that there are more kickoffs this season due to the new rule of not being able to take the ball on your 35-yard line following a field goal.

I think they should scrap the 15 yard penalty for No Yards. Your average punt return isn't even that much. That should be 5 or 10 yards at most. 15 is ridiculous and is reserved for serious violations.

That would defeat the whole point of the rule. Reducing no-yards to 5 or 10 yards means teams would almost always instruct their coverage teams to take the penalty in order to cut off the possibility of a big return. You have to severely punish them for doing that. We have big plays on kick returns precisely because a 15-yard no-yards penalty is no joke and can often provide the returning team with excellent field position.

Dude, if they changed the no yards penalty to 5 or 10 yards, in about three weeks there would not be a kick returner left in the CFL. They'd all be in the hospital. Or the morgue.

I think holding should be a 5 yard penalty. Its bad enough when a 50 yard pass or TD is negated by a holding prenalty. Pushing back 10 yards is a pure drive killer, especially in 3 down football.

On the contrary, it's a pretty good incentive to NOT hold...

...and people wonder why Woodard no longer wears black & gold... lol

You won't like this, but do away with no yards and bring in fair catch. Thus, the returner can decide whether to run it back or not. Personally, leave the rule the way it is but the league could instruct the refs to be more liberal on the 5 yds.

I don't want to get started on the controversial single point for a missed field goal argument

but I recently read something about another aspect of a missed field goal rule.

I still am not sure if the writer was correct or if I interpreted what he said correctly.

I believe he said...

A point is not awarded if a missed field goal attempt passes over the end line.

whereas a point is awarded if a punt goes over the endline of the end zone.

[b][u]Article 4 – Single Point Or Rouge[/u][/b] If the ball is kicked into the Goal Area by an opponent, a rouge is scored: (1) when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own Goal Area or, (2) when the ball touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal, and touches the ground, a player or some object beyond these lines.
and there's your answer. always go to the source my friend. ;)

The rouge dates back to the origins of the game pre-1870's.

Funily enough, at princeton (before McGill taught them to play properly in 1867), the only way to score was to kick a round ball out of your opponents end (or across the Deadline). Yet the rouge has completely dissapeared from the American game. It was Princeton that then spread the Canadian rules to Harvard and onward. Untill the American colleges agreed upon a unified code of football some 40 years later with the urging of Walter Camp.

but that's enough history for now.

and there's your answer. always go to the source my friend. :wink:

The rouge dates back to the origins of the game pre-1870's.

Funily enough, at princeton (before McGill taught them to play properly in 1867), the only way to score was to kick a round ball out of your opponents end (or across the Deadline). Yet the rouge has completely dissapeared from the American game. It was Princeton that then spread the Canadian rules to Harvard and onward. Untill the American colleges agreed upon a unified code of football some 40 years later with the urging of Walter Camp.

but that's enough history for now.

A point is awarded if you prevent the receiving team from advancing the ball out of teh end zone. If you kick (punt, FG, drop-kick, etc.) a ball and it crosses the dead-ball line in the end zone, then the receiving team cannot advance it out. Ergo, a point is awarded for this.