Do u think this is selfish?

do u think it is selfish when a player pulls out a magazine like stokes did when you can win a game to get a stupid penalty like that?

It is selfish if he pulls out a magazine. But if he pulls out a lobster, then its shellfish.

Nah seriously, I think it is selfish because he knows this will earn the team a penalty, but he does it anyways. So he’s willing to give his teammates bad field position just so he gets more exposure. Not a team move, definately.

Zing!

It’s more stupid than anything. It’s become a problem in the CFL, because as far as I know there is no penalty for excessive celebrations. If there is, it is not being enforced. Let the boys enjoy a TD, just keep it with in reason. I swear the Bombers and Als must spend more time on dance routines in practice than running plays.

The funniest thing I saw was a couple years ago a Calgary DB intercepted a pass intended for Milt Stegall. He then signed the football ala T.O. and threw in the stands. The refs then got together and ruled that both Stegall actually had possession of the ball in the end-zone and it was ruled a touchdown.

So, essentially, the Calgary DB signed Stegall’s touchdown ball and gave it away to a fan.

The funniest thing I saw was a couple years ago a Calgary DB intercepted a pass intended for Milt Stegall. He then signed the football ala T.O. and threw in the stands. The refs then got together and ruled that both Stegall actually had possession of the ball in the end-zone and it was ruled a touchdown.

So, essentially, the Calgary DB signed Stegall’s touchdown ball and gave it away to a fan.

I Personally Am A Big Fan Of The TD, As Long As It’s Tasteful eg. No Randy Moss Stuff. I Think The Refs Should Decide On Something As Being Too Much And Throw Penilty Flags Accordingly.

What if he has crabs?

Personal fouls are all selfish penalties.

Including taunting and excessive celebrations. What are those classified as, anyways? Objectionable conduct?

Unsportmanlike conduct.

For what pulling a lobster out of your pants? I would have thought that was cruelty to animals or a weekend in Hamilton. :twisted:

there is nothing wrong with a short celebratory dance. props on the other hand are just lame. and when that stamp signed stegalls td ball… that was seriously funny.

It depends on the situation…if a team is running away with a game to me it show zero class to do a pre planned celebration to rub it in. As far as using props goes, well to me its just a show of ego, and if it results in a penalty then yes it’s selfish. There are times when I find myself thinking why don’t these guys act like they have scored before instead of acting like it’s the first touchdown they have ever scored.

That said, I see nothing wrong with spontaneous celebration. Especially in a close game or playoff game it adds to the excitement and usually will not result in a penalty as long as it’s clearly spontaneous. When you plant props like magazines or sharpies or whatever all that says is “look at me, look how great I think I am”

its not classy if u try to do something good everyitme as a dance. but it can still be clasy if u dont do it as much. as how good it is matters. i liked hines ward TO impression after TO did a Ray Lewis impression, and i like how TO runs to the star in Dallas, thats the only one i like, even though im acowboys fan.

dont outlaw it all toether though. its part of the game, just keep it to a minimum, like LT does, he’s classy, and he still does a dance evey so often.

I like what supertoe said. If it is spontaneous, say: Some dude returns a punt for 98 yards for at TD, and does something competely outragous out of shear joy, that’s fun to see because it makes you feel good to see his excitement.
But when it’s a walk from 2 yards out, and 8 guys line up and do the “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” that drives my bonkers.
Your goal for getting in the endzone should be to help your team win, no so you can premiere your new 2 dance routine.

When Owens pulls a stunt like the pen or cell phone, he’s only showing how self-absorbed he is. It’s really no surprise that a guy who would do something so stupid would want to renegotiate one year into a 7-year contract. Seven-million a season isn’t good enough? What a jerk!

The league has to put a stop to guys like Stokes doing similar things. It is extremely egotistical for these guys to think that they and their self-promotion is more important than the team. Clamp down on this before it gets out of hand.

Dancing in the end zone is fine if it is an impromptu celebration; but choreographed dance routines are idiotic. Save them for musical theatre. I don’t understand why teams that engage in them don’t get a delay of game penalty, 10 yards applied on the kickoff.

Teams that are getting creamed should never celebrate in the end zone, and visiting teams and teams that are winning big should keep their celebrations to a minimum.

ahh…celebrating is part of the game, they just need to control how out of hand it gets. like c’mon, maybe not the stupid ones where ur way ahead, celebrating tells alot about a player, and he wants to say “im an asshole”, let him, but dont ruin for the guys who really deserve to celebrate

I’m pretty sure the Stampeder you’re talking about is Kelly Malveaux. I was at that game and ya, it was pretty funny, even though I’m a Stamps fan! It was just after terrel owens (who I have little to no respect for) pulled his stupid stunt - great timing. It seemed to me to mock owens more than anything. All in all, it was pretty good :slight_smile:

While we’re on the subject here guys, and don’t shoot me for talking about the NFL but…I agree that Terrell Owens is a huge egomaniac. He displays everything that you expect in a selfish, self absorbed out-of-control multimillionaire football player. He also surprised the hell out of me in last year’s superbowl.

He was one of very few Eagles that showed up that day. He was coming off of a broken ankle only weeks before and showed heart, determination and courage for the way he played that game. I think I could have cut him a little slack for a outrageous celebration that day. As for the rest of the season, I think he acts like he feels he is bigger than the game itself.