Discrepency of how much the Riders were over the 2006 cap

Hi Happy to be green (Eric):

There has been a discrepency pointed out in another rider forum of how far the Riders were actually over the cap. Just wondering if we could hear it right from the horse's mouth about the different figures that have been quoted to the public.

In this article, you say its close to 700K over the cap was your inheritence in 2006, HTBG:

[url=http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=fd69eac3-ab4f-45ae-a689-d03b4a42b3aa]http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/n ... 3b4a42b3aa[/url]
"That, Hillbilly, is the reality of inheriting a team which was almost $700,000 over the cap, with ZERO CONTRACT EXTENSIONS even offered, much less signed!"
In another thread on here not long ago, you said it was 980K over the cap is what you had to deal with. [url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34535&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75#p569619]viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34535&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75#p569619[/url]
"When I arrived this team was headed for its third consecutive 9-9 season. And, from a salary cap perspective, the team finished $980,000 over in 2006...the largest total football expenditure in the league, ACCORDING TO THE CFL OFFICE."
Is the explanation for this 300,000 dollar discrepency you're adding in the 300K in front-loading of players right around the 2006 Grey Cup, HTBG?

Who cares???? Its freakin 2009.

Why in the world would you waste a second of thought on something like this. Are you trying to play gotcha?

No kidding. Some Rider fans seriously need to get a life or go purchase a dog or something. Honestly they way some knitpick and dissect things gets me pretty creeped out.

To Eric, I appreciate your transparency and your honestly with regards to the inner workings of the CFL and the Riders. But its gotten to the point that some 'socalled' fans think its their God given right to tell you how to do your job even though most of the time they dont' even know a fraction of the story. It honestly boggles my mind where these people were during the consecutive 9-9 seasons that Shivers delivered.

I sincerely think that some Rider fans are so used to losing that they are like deer in headlights now that we are not. Austin hit the nail on the head when he said 'thats just how their wired', truer words have never been spoke. Keep up the great work Eric, we aren't all crazy.

The salary cap in 2006 was 3.9 million. It increased to 4.05 in 2007. Then to 4.1 in 2008. Those numbers are to the best of my recollection, but will have to be verified on Monday. In 2006, a year without penalties (but a year that was supposed to be one to prepare for 2007), the Riders final number (excluding the singing bonus money) was 4.8 something...right at $900,000 over or a little higher (like 975). The cap number, as I stated, went up 150 in 2007, and we reduced that 4.8 total to less than 4.15. So, the $700,000 number reflects the cap going up by $150,000, and us still having to reduce from more than 4.9 to 4.05. I should have said $800,000 or so, but I wasn't speaking to the exact dollar. We didn't make it, of course, but we did reduce our salaries (and cap number) very significantly.

In truth, we got our cap number down to right at $50,000 over for the 2007 season, but lost an arbitration case to David Azziz in the winter. We, then, took, another hit off $25,000 or so.

I THINK all of these numbers are right, but I'm doing this in between returned calls I'm expecting...

In closing, like I said, I done my damndest to answer questions and be accessible. Clearly, some want to debate every comma, colon, of minor discrepancy (when much of this is typed in a hurry or late at night). Seriously, I AM THE ONE who needs to be criticized for even trying to do this!!!

If Mo calls it's ok to stop posting.