Discovering the uncanny truth about Canada

a pass hits a post maybe a couple of times a season

a pass hits a post maybe a couple of times a season
[/quote]
but it sucks if it costs your team the game.

but really, I have better reasons for wanting the goal post moved.

Admittedly, I haven’t yet read the article. But based on what everyone is saying, this is probably the truth.

No, creepy is John Hufnagel’s oral fixation with a Sharpie pen. :smiley:

Guys this guy writes for the freaking Decatur Daily...who exactly cares what some ignorant american has to say about Canada? This is a non-story and I wouldn't even waste my time emailling him. Honestly, pretty marginal newspaper.

No, it’s nonsense. The article is actually not really even about the CFL. “Culture Shock” is in the title, FFS!

It’s actually about how Canada and the US are so similar in so many large things that the small differences can cause an uncanny valley type of reaction in people. The CFL just happens to be a good example to start from because Americans are so familar with the NFL that they’ll get the references.

The only thing going on in this thread is a display of the inferiority complex some Canadians have and a need to complain about stuff they didn’t apparently read more then the first half of.

Wow, holy overraction batman!

I thought the article was a neat perspective - a view of ourselves from an outsider’s perspective. And he even put his bias and ignorance (and I don’t mean that in a pergorative sense) out there for all to see - not trying to hide that he is speaking with little first-hand knowledge of Canada. It was kind of entertaining if you didn’t take yourself too seriously … which is supposed to be a “Canadian trait”.

It had to have been a bit tongue in cheek so we needn’t get too worked up about it. While I could have done without the rest of cflisthebest’s “diplomacy” on behalf of Canada, the offer to come up and see a game first-hand is a good one. He’d have an even better perspective of the game and the country for the next article he writes on us.

That’s only a Canadian trait if it’s coming from other Canadians. If it’s coming from a non-Canadian, especially if that non-Canadian happens to be an American, it’s more serious.

He didn’t mean it in the “pedophile at a playground” or “spiders crawling out of a skull” sort of way. He meant it in the sense of watching something so familiar but different produces an unsettling effect. Obviously the effect is more magnified the more narrow one’s life experience is.

Why don’t you start a new thread with that topic, share your “better” reasons, so we can debate it all over again.

I can’t imagine any reasons other than those the NFL used, which lead to other decisions, which lead to the elimination of several live-ball situations (now dead-ball) that are still retained in the CFL and make our game more interesting.

Try and remember that Our League is still a novelty to many because for years games were largely unavailable to watch in any form. Now that they are on the NFL network (and ESPN3) even those in Decatur are watching. This means that likely millions more are watching in places like New York City, Chicago, L.A., and Dallas.

That's important at least from a recruiting perspective. We should pay attention to what they are saying and try and educate them as to why things are the way they are, rather than ignoring their insights and blowing them off as ignorant and irrelevant.

Most people aren't stupid, they just don't have the knowledge to form educated opinions. That's not an American phenomenon, it's world-wide. So try and be a little more tolerant of different points of view, especially those who are really seeing the CFL for the first time in their life after watching the NFL for so long, and remember that many Canadians don't "get" the point of the fair catch or touchback either.

Four down football, on that tiny field, with a fair catch rule :lol: (sorry, it's football the name alone makes me laugh) is slow, dull and boring. However, Americans are huge baseball fans and that sport, although fun to play, is like watching paint dry. I don't take any "insult" or condescending article by an American too seriously. Whenever it starts to get my blood boiling I just recall Talking To Americans and I remember who I'm dealing with.

PS - The "journalist" is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Only Doug Flutie made it from CFL to the NFL?

I guess Warren Moon's career was a little too short for him to remember him. :lol: :lol:

not too mention joe kapp, joe theisman, mervyn fernandez, terry greer, etc.

I went with the most OBVIOUS and most recent HoF inductee. :roll: What an idiot.

holy over reaction.

I was just adding punctuation to your post. sheesh

I don’t think it was over reaction. I don’t expect Americans to know much, if anything, about the CFL, but Moon made a point of thanking the CFL in his induction speech. I thought of all the CFL/NFL players he was THE most obvious even US fans would know about.

If he wasn’t so condescending (a common American trait) I wouldn’t have been so condescending. Tit for tat.

FYB: I think dcmoses was meaning the writer was an idiot, not you, But he can speak for himself.

As for dcmoses, did you really read it as condescending. I didn't get that from the guy at all. Trying to be witty maybe, but condescending? I guess I give him more benefit of the doubt.

That would explain his response. Yes FYB, I was referring to the writer not you. And I did find it a little condescending. Not to the point of snobbery, but like everything in life there are varying degrees of things and I do think the writers nose had started to pitch up just slightly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding FYB, rereading it, I could have phrased it more clearly.

:thup: