Dinwiddie close to joining Riders

I think you're right. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the positive thoughts of Winnipeg fans regarding Dinwiddie. Given his expected role, he may be okay doing that.

i think a lot of bomber fans expect immediate results.. where as realistically a qb needs more than 3-4 starts to reach his potential, despite being thrown into the fire he still has a 58% complention percentage... 6 tds v 9 ints.. ive seen a lot worse stats put up from players that were thrown into similar situations... given the chance who knows... he may have been a decent starter... unfortunately that is out the question for him now... but there is nothing to make me believe that he couldnt be a solid backup...

RD has had like 6 or 7 starts with 1 victory. i mean yes he has beautiful blue eyes but i mean c'mon man. realistically here the guy just didnt take advantage of the opportunities that were given to him. He had his chance after that calgary victory like 2 years ago to take the starting job from glenn but then proceeded to come out and crap the bed the next few games and bombers went back to glenn.

Been out of football for a year.. i dunno. like i said i wish RD the best of luck in sask because i beleive he is a solid backup but if he has to start more than 2 games for the riders this year, the riders are gonna be in trouble.

I liked Dinwiddie and he had a great attitude but a very weak arm, but he may not have made backup if he had proper competition and Kelly Ruined that. If i was comparing Dinwiddie to Jyles (as much as i liked Dinwiddie) i would have to say that Jyles is 27 YRS OLD and Dinwiddie is 30 years old, Jyles has a stronger arm and better scrambling ability.

Another point to think about is Jyles was learning behind Durant, Miller and LaPo and Dinwiddie learned behind Glenn, Berry, Kelly and 2 -3 different co-ordinators. LaPo is great with QB’S and has proven it in the past and Jyles had that benefit when Dinwiddie did not.

I don't understand the love-in with Dinwiddie. Yes, he was thrown into a really, really tough situation with the Grey Cup but he didn't really do much to warrant being kept around after that IMO.

450 yards passing against the Stamps was impressive.

And LeFors threw for 412 yards against Saskatchewan in 2007. Dinwiddie played well in one game and the rest of the time he didn’t show much reason to keep him around IMO.

You are correct Blue Blood, Dinwiddie has had only one game, he is 30 years old with a weak arm. He got thrown into the situation in the Grey Cup and threw a record 3 INT'S in a GC game, credit him for attitude and effort but not ability. Actually Jyles is the better QB, his stats are not great but better than Dinwiddies and Jyles is 3 years younger and as mentioned had Very good coaches and Durant in Sask and same goes for him in Winnipeg, maybe not starting material but more than capable of coming in and doing the job.

If it was 2-3 years ago i would say that Dinwiddie may have been able to develop into a solid backup, but now out of football for a year and being 30 years old he is beyond developing. Don't get me wrong i like Ryan as a person and his heart, but as a player he is not that good at all. Jyles has barely played in Saskatchewan and when he was in Edmonton he was on a team that was a complete mess at coaching and management levels, Jyles will learn more behind Buck and with LaPo than he could ever learn from Durant (as it was only Durants 1ST full season as starter), just hope for Rider fans sake that last season was not a lucky fluke season for Durant or the Riders will be in huge trouble.

Also that game when Dinwiddie threw for over 400 yards (which was against CGY) most of his yardage was YAC and amazing catches by all reciever's, if the reciever's did not turn and come back to the ball as much as they did he would not have had a great game then either, it was all the reciever's against CGY not Dinwiddie, sad but true!!

Dinwiddie deserves to be back in the league. He was being groomed for 3 years and then got completely screwed by Kelly. His arm strengh appears very similar to Ricky Ray and he has sure got it done. For you that all say he has a weak arm how was he effective in throwing vertical? He has a nice touch and good air time. He actually is quite mobile too. Do all of you know that he holds college footballs best efficiency. I hope the Riders sign him but it would be better if he returned to the Bombers. Remember in the Grey cup that the int that Sask returned for a TD actually was trapped. Don't know why it wasn't reviewed. He had the team moving really well with only a few minutes remaining. He is a very good leaderand definately deserves another shot in the league.

So YOU’RE the head kool-aid drinker. And here I’ve been hounding poor 123james321 and, to some degree, killer. And all this time it’s you.

Hey, it’s your forum, so believe what you will but let’s get a couple things cleared up, if only to correct the Permanent Record.

1. Dinwiddie is 29. He turns 30 in November. Jyles turns 28 in September, so there is less than 2 years difference betwenn them. Not three.

2. 3 int’s is NOT a Grey Cup record. In case you’re wondering, it’s 4.

And, if Dinwiddie signed with the Bombers tomorrow, you’d fall in love with him all over.

I am not saying that he does not deserve to AT LEAST attend a training camp, you talk about school records here is a news flash that was when he was 25, he is now 30 and has not had a fair opportunity to develop in Winnipeg, but saying that I still believe Dinwiddie is not that good of a QB, he had a great game numbers wise against CGY and like i said was all the reciever's, Dinwiddie was over/under throwing alot that game and if the reciever's didn't come back for the ball Dinwiddie would not have had a great game.

He had a few more opportunities that season and did absolutely nothing, zippo, in fact i recall him being benched on 2 occasions one for throwing into double coverage and another when he under threw an open reciever by about 10 yards and that would've been a sure TD if the ball was not under thrown, that is when we saw Glenn come back in for the rest of the year.

Right. And Jyles cost DJ Flick a career by underthrowing him on a bomb.

And kid, Dinwiddie's 29. If you're gonna spout goofy opinions, fine. At least get the facts straight.

Here we go again, like i care what you think anyway’s but just to humour you i got the age difference wrong, big deal like i look at the months of there Birthdays.

Second 3 INTS IS a Grey Cup Record, look it up or prove that your 4 INTS is correct cause the INT GC RECORD in 2007 was mentioned a dozen or more times.

And like i said i like Ryan as a person, but not a QB and i would not fall in love with him all over because i would not want a below average QB on the Bombers when we are grooming 2 QB’S that are 25 and 26 years old, plus we have Buck, Jyles will be a solid back up under a REAL system and Santos and/or DiMichele will be very good QB’S learning behind Buck. Don’t get all offended because The Former and Current Rider management traded or released every QB except Durant.

Also you are going to love the way Taman scouts and brings in quality QB’S ---- NOT ---- Taman does not have an eye for real QB talent just ask Dinwiddie, Randall, Banks, Michna, Tee Martin, Mike Quinn and i am sure there are more crap QB’S he has brought in that have flat out sucked!!!

Wow what the hell is your problem, your the one who is trolling, so i messed up Dinwiddie’s age BIG DEAL he is turning 30 this year so i was close enough. And please explain how i spouted goofy opinions without the facts straight? This is a Bomber forum and i can throw my opinion out there as much as i want because honestly your opinions and so called facts don’t matter to me. Also never ever start out by calling me a kid, that is one of the most arrogant thing people can say, i have been going to Bomber games for 30+ years now and many years with my father as a child before that, i have forgot more about the game than you will ever know, KID!!

Actually the record is 4 interceptions in a game held by Sam Etcheverry (MTL-1956) and Bruce Lemmerman (EDM-1977).
[url]http://greycup.cfl.ca/page/grey-cup-records[/url]

I can assure you though, Artie, that if the Bombers were to sign Dinwiddie tomorrow that I wouldn't love it.

i dont see the hate for dinwiddie... the guy didnt do great, i think we all agree hes not starter material... but this is getting a little away from the point... the fact is even tho he only won one game, his performances werent horrible... and he has several years of experience... as a back up for the riders... why not... he has far more experience than any of their backups..

he isnt that good, but he wasnt horrible... if the riders sign him, i say good move... it cant hurt signing him..worst thing that happens is he gets cut after tc or preseason... best case he shows some stuff, makes the squad and sits on the bench...

I don't hate Dinwiddie but I certainly don't feel the love for him that some do. I don't think having him on the roster last year would have changed anything. I don't want him back on the Bombers roster because I like the QBs we have now. Even though neither have thrown a pass in the league I'd rather have Santos and DiMichele on the roster. If the Riders want to sign Dinwiddie, fine by me.

Towellie, I'm not sure I would agree with your statement that Dinwiddie has several years of experience though. He was only in the league for 3 years and had only started a few games. If LeFors was considered an unproven, inexperienced QB by fans last season then you would have to put Dinwiddie in that same category because their numbers (years in league, starts, attempts/completions, etc.) were very similar.

Just for the record, Dinwiddie did come off the bench in the EF after Glenn broke his arm and preserved the win with a big drive late in that game.

So he couldn't beat out Glenn for the starters job in 2008 when he had the chance, neither could Porter in 2009 in Hamilton, maybe the Cats should dump him too ?

As a back up, I think he will be fine.

.....Dinwiddie WAS NOT the answer in the Peg....Like it was stated before ...he had his chances and came up short....I don't blame him for the loss in the Cup game....that was a tough test for a seasoned qb. HOWEVER....i watched his play closely before all of that and the most glaring problem he had was his 'weak arm'....He could scramble a bit...but once under pressure and having to get the ball away quickly with authority , his arm let him down...I think he'll be a great back-up in sask. but if they're thinking future starter....AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...Durant looks like a solid starter for the green guys and Ryan should/could back him up quite nicely

anywhoooooooo....Hey arte....how about a deal.....we'll send you Jyles back and you return our first round draft pick we were shafted out of... plus the rights to Stevie Baggs (another bloody mistake by the former braintrust of our club)...what da ya say :wink:

You know I love ya, Papa, so I won't screw ya twice on the same pick. We have no rights to Stevie Baggs. The dude is a free agent. If he shakes loose from the desert, he's coming back up here to play for the highest bidder, would be my guess.

As for Jyles, I would happily take him back, but probably not for a #2 overall. I think Dinwiddie (or whoever) has to get us through a season or a season and a half, until one of these other kids we have get coached up. ET, if nothing else, put some good QB prospects on our neg list. In addition to Bell and Harrell who are no longer with us, we still have Chase Daniel and this Reesing kid that folks seem high on. You gotta hope that one of this flock steps up by the end of their 2nd pro camp.

And, seriously, I thought that blue&gold guy was a kid. I've just never seen someone be so in love with every move that gets made, and every piece of TC fodder that gets signed. I come from a fan-base that, until this offseason, criticized every move made by the team since the Dobber was signed in the '50's.

So, sorry if any offence was taken.