Different driving rules?

wondering what a double yellow line means in your neck of the woods?

The layout of the road is questionable for passing hence on why you see double yellow lines before curves and hills

1 Like

hmmm ...i thought it meant to go in reverse as fast as possible

how about on straight busy city streets?

Something to do with a lion, a tinman and a scarecrow I think....

...legally means you cannot cross over into the oncoming lane... but in my neck of the woods it appears to be more of a suggestion than a rule...

I assume you mean a double solid yellow line and not a broken yellow line...There is a difference in meaning
And I dont think we have double solid yellow lines in Quebec....double are redundant if you know their meaning

Question 2
What is the difference between a yellow line and a white line

A solid yellow line doesn't indicate a prohibition of passing on the highway. It is to advise that it can be dangerous to pass over to the other side of the roadway. On the other hand a solid white line is the indicater used to define that it is illegal to pass over it in that zone. A white line along the right side of the roadway indicates no passing on the right. (usually the shoulder of the road.

In short white makes it illegal to cross and yellow is a warning of danger. You can be charged with an offense such as careless driving though, if you cross a yellow line and an incident occurs.

Similarly, the yellow speed limit road signs you see on ramps entering or exiting roadways are only recommended speeds. You cannot get a speeding ticket for exceeding the speed shown on them. Again though, you can also get a ticket such as careless driving if there is an incident caused by excessive speed or recklessness on the ramp.

nope Try again

nope try again!

Nope try again

Should I post the answer or should I wait for others to play along?

A double line is used to give a different directive to each side of the road, often on hilly roadways. Upbound gets a solid to restrict passing and downbound may be a broken line, indicating you can pass when safe.

Two way busy city streets have white lines dividing the roadway and white line prohibiting lane change.

Yup! curved roads more than hills but still right

Here in QC I dont think you see many double yellow lines......If both sides are too dangerous to pass,,,they only out a single solid yellow line.....I think.(Been in Quarantine too long)

And the difference between white and yellow?

nope 10 characters

The difference between white an yellow lines is that if you cross a yellow line, the traffic is moving in opposite direction...if its a white line they are moving in the same direction
Solid lines you cannot cross and broken lines you may cross over

1 Like

out here, double solid yellow line means not to cross, either to pass, or to turn left, or u turn.

very few people seem to know that tho.

Same here...but they don't seem to use double line...you can't cross a single solid line so don't need a double I guess

It would depend WHERE you saw those double yellow lines
Can mean a whole heck of a lot of different things

Illegal to pass, unsafe curves, slow down, road is ending, rumble strips etc)
Even as minor as paint testing (in other words ignore them) there is a huge section on 401 east of Toronto they marked up all over the place

Title of this thread seems surprised different provinces have different laws despite the fact each province issues their own individual licenses

In ON for sure you can (legally) drive across a double yellow in certain circumstances anyhow

1 Like

You guys should mention "where" out here is
Otherwise this thread gets super confusing

(eg in ON you can legally cross a double yellow line to pass a vehicle so long as it is a "safe" pass)

In ON White is Mandatory
Yellow is Suggestion

So a white line (usually in a major city) will net you a ticket while crossing a double yellow may not (still needs to be a safe pass)

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/pavement-markings#:~:text=Yellow%20lines%20separate%20traffic%20travelling,travelling%20in%20the%20same%20direction.&text=A%20solid%20line%20at%20the,A

Yellow lines separate traffic travelling in opposite directions. White lines separate traffic travelling in the same direction.

A solid line at the left of your lane means it is unsafe to pass. ('A' should not pass.)

A broken line at the left of your lane means you may pass if the way is clear. ('A' may pass if there are enough broken lines ahead to complete the pass safely.)