Diedrick traded to Rival Ticats

No, you don't, sorry. Football is a business and the business of this team is to win, not to cater to every journeyman player on our roster. Diedrick was an ST guy for eight years. I appreciate the work he put in, but he got paid for it, and we don't owe him anything. We're not talking about cutting Ben Cahoon here, we're talking about releasing a career ST player who did very little but make mistakes whenever he was actually in the offense.

We could not dress him for Thursday's game... Ticats have been trying to acquire him for a while so had he been released he would have been picked up by them anyway.
So hide him on the LTIR. No need to ship him to a division rival who has been spanking us in recent years and against who we need every advantage if we're to come out on top.
The biggest question for me is will Messam be able to contribute on a regular basis at some point because he's the guy we chose to keep...
Good question, and your guess is as good as mine.
So hide him on the LTIR. No need to ship him to a division rival who has been spanking us in recent years and against who we need every advantage if we're to come out on top.
You realize a player has to be willing to go along being put on the nine game injured list ? And you still need to pay that guy with real money for half a season.

I know. I would hope that Jim Popp would have given Diedrick that option.

And you still need to pay that guy with real money for half a season.
And? We do it every year, all the time. We once hid Ricky Santos on the LTIR for an entire year.

There is NO way they would use the 9-game to protect a primarily ST veteran and rare backup player on the 9-game. There are far better players than Diedrick that have been released and gone to rivals for nothing. That they got something is a BONUS! Protecting the playbook simply isn't that valuable and you need to have at least some excuse for an injury to put someone on the 9-game with the player's cooperation - not likely for someone that wants to play and knows it isn't going to be in Montreal.

Totally agree. Teams/the Als don't"hide' veteran 34 years old players on 9 game injury list. Diedrick could have been released. The Als/Jim Popp made a good decision.

Richard

Yup once said players hit that age of 30 they are often just straight out released and are often picked up be a team with a need for a plug and play player, In this case Diedrick can be a valuable addition for Hamilton as a Canadian veteran filling a Canadian roster spot who can be a special teams starter while tutoring the younger Delahunt. Delahunt will give the Cats a more moder style player at that position that can also be a receiving threat more than Diedrick but he will have to do all of the other things that still come with the now FB/TE position.
The Als had no room for him anymore and once released hewas going to Hamilton one way or the other that has been fairly well known. Hamilton wanted him now so they needed to make the trade.
Montreal still could have held onto him for a couple more weeks on the one game IR until all of the Cap numbers have to be lined up by the numbers with the league.
Hamilton have just signed a ton of drafted players from 2012 and 2013 that they drafted as well as trading for some others. They can afford a fourth rounder at this point in time

Yup. Excellent business and sport decision to get something for a player who was to be released and therefore free to whatever team is interested.
To suggest otherwise seems foolhardy and shortsighted.
Good luck to him.