Did you know ?....... (little known CFL facts)

1) On December 11, 1909 there was a Canadian Football exhibition game played in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, New York where the Hamilton Tigers beat Ottawa Rough Riders, 11-6 before 15,000

2) During the U.S. expansion period, the ownership group from Miami hosted a C.F.L. exhibition game at the 'Orange Bowl' in Miami between Memphis and Baltimore. (The Miami Manatees never in fact began operations after the ownership group abandoned the idea)

3)The first football game in the traditional Hamilton Tiger-Cats/Toronto Argonauts rivalry was played on Oct.18, 1873
(of course, we were called the Tigers back then)

4)On January 19, 1958 the Canadian Football Council was renamed the Canadian Football League

Bonus general football fact:

The franchise fee for the original 12 teams in the N.F.L. was $100 :roll:

Any other neat stuff you guys have found and would like to share?

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/graucho.gif

I found this sorta intresting.

Tiger-Cats vs The Bills

Question–arw the Ti-cats the oldest professional football in North America if not the world because no profession US football started until the early 1900’s–just wondering also Best of luck tomorrow night I am going to spend my nine bucks and watch the broadcast on my computer which by the way sits in my den that overlooks the north end of Edwards field where Ron Lancaster played his college ball at Wittenberg–Hamilton 27–Stamps 23

the argos are the oldest...i think the ticats are 2nd oldest.

Thanks Mike and Fletch for the great football nostalgia.
I love reading about this stuff. I was one of the 12,000 who attended the Cats/Bills game and remember it well.
Prior to that I attended a game in Buffalo at some old relic of a stadium and watched the Argos defeat the Ticats in a game which saw Al Bruno play as an Argo split end. He made a couple of amazing catches in that game and went on to become a CFL star and eventually the coach of the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

That old stadium you are talking about where you saw the game in Buffalo is where they filmed the movie the Natural with Robert Redford in the early 80's then they tore it down I think it was called war memorial stadium in honor of the WW I vets origionally built for baseball but the Bills used it till they built Ralph Wilson stadium

Springfield;

Apparantly Hamilton, Toronto or Canada may not in fact lay claim to that title of the first professional football team after all......I was always led to believe we were the first :expressionless:

Here's a very informative link on the subject:

click here

(also....my research on your question has turned up many sources which seem to verify the claims in this piece).....although I'm still searching furiously to pull the title back here north of the border... :wink:

stay tuned....

According to the cfl.ca website, the Hamilton Football Club was formed in 1869, the Montreal Football Club was formed in 1872, and the Toronto Argonauts Football Club was formed in 1873.

but not paid at that point.....I think the teams from the U.S. in that article can lay cliam to the "professional" status.......for now :wink:

The oldest continuous football club of any kind in North America is the Toronto Argonauts I think ( of course, the argument has always been that the Tiger-Cats are actually two teams that merged into one.......even though I dislike the Argos, I gave up that argument a while ago and let them have that one.... :cry:

I am not buying it, Those "professional" teams in the US were just a hodge podge of teams that would come and go there was the Canton Ohio bulldogs that got players jobs in the steel mills in nearby Youngstown but only lasted a season or two I still say the Hamilton or yes maybe Toronto teams are the oldest non college football teams-heck what is this going to be the 94th Grey cup the NFL did not even get a set league until Red Grange graduated from Illinois in the early 20's and played 60 games in something like 100 days barnstorming to promote the league

lol......here we are trying to pass the title back to each other across the border....who woulda thunk... :lol:

Anyhow, upon further research, I think "TCTD" is correct about Montreal being older (team-wise) than both Hamilton and Toronto

I came across something quite interesting today myself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats

I was shocked to see our new GM. :stuck_out_tongue:

ahem ahem ahem.

McGill played Yale in Montreal, which is where Yale got the so-called pioneering rule changes. This is well documented. Just don't ask anyone related to the NFL. :lol:

Mikey wrote:

Anyhow, upon further research, I think "TCTD" is correct about Montreal being older (team-wise) than both Hamilton and Toronto
My previous post noted that cfl.ca recognizes the [i]Hamilton[/i] Football Club as the oldest one in Canada. Montreal was second and Toronto was third.

I read through this wikipedia reference, and while almost everything is accurate, little discrepancies always seem to creep in. ( or maybe it's my interpretation)

The article designates IWS as home field from 1950-present, and HAAA Grounds as home field from 1872-1949.

I know that from 1940 through 1949 both teams played all their games at IWS, or Civic Stadium, as it was then named.

HAAA was sometimes used as a practice field, even after amalgamation in 1950. I have a clear recollection of having a conversation with Vince Scott on an Aberdeen bus in 1951. He was on his way to HAAA for just such a practice session.
If a practice field can be called a home field, so be it. But, no league games were played there after 1939, if then.

Yeah, there always seems to be little discrepancies (sp?) in a subject like this Wilf...

Speaking of trivia stuff,

here's a funny article I ran across while looking for some of this material....

For those who are new fans of the Tiger-Cats, you will notice at the extreme bottom of the website pages (scroll down to the very bottom), a link to the website design company called MRX....ok?....now, read this article here from Sept. 2003 and you may see a connection to the phrase "MR. X"..... :lol:

click here to see article.