Did Tom Wright Screw Up the New TV Deal With TSN?

Read in the Globe and Mail that many within the CFL are unhappy that the Grey Cup will be shown on the cable channel TSN, and not on CTV. Like the Super Bowl was.

David Braley said Wright made the deal and then gave the details to him after the deal was signed. Thing is TSN only reaches 8 million homes, while CTV reaches 12 million. CTV pumped the NFL like there was no tomorrow, while the Grey Cup gets shown on a minor channel.

And while TSN is showing every CFL game, there are some dates that TSN will have to shunt the CFL to another channel. Meaning many people won't be able to watch football.

And TSN is even thinking of having the CFL playoff games on a Saturday? Why? Is it because TSN is owned by CTV, which also broadcasts the NFL. Does CTV want to eliminate the CFL competition by sticking the playoffs on Saturdays?

To me this contract with TSN could be a disaster for the league. It looks like CTV is using TSN to knocke the CFL out of the spotlight in favor of the NFL.
Why Tom Wright was so quick to sign with tSN without taking competing offers is beyond me.

I dont mind the playoffs being on a Saturday minus the GC. More football to be watched!

Quit worrying so much.... :roll:

TSN does not decide when the games are played. Unless the contract that Wright signed gives them some secret power.

As for TSN getting all the rights to the games......I said it last year to all the people who didnt like the CBC....

This is not a good thing.

if u believe this, then u are truly neieve.
the CFL makes thier schedule with TSNs preferences in mind.

i said this was a bad deal from the start, but for the BOGs to blame tom wright, that is scapegoating in its purest form.

I think the money involved made it too difficult to resist.

I like it on TSN, better coverage and no going quickly after the game to some general news cast or sitcom show or whatever, or Heidi for you old guys out there. I personally think it's great it's on TSN, but that's just me.

Let's take berezin99's point seriously, folks.

4,000,000 fans will not be able to watch
the Grey Cup in their homes from now on.

This is serious.

Those of us who care about these fans,
and those fans themselves,

should contact CTVglobemedia Inc.

and let them know that we
strongly disagree with this

CTVglobemedia Inc.

9 Channel Nine Court
Scarborough, Ontario M1S 4B5

tel:416.332.5000 www.ctvglobemedia.com

Corporate Communications tel: 416.332.5000

e-mail:

ctvglobemediacommunications@ctvglobemedia.com

And this watchdog group

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting

Would be appropriate, too.

[quote="ronfromtigertown"]Let's take berezin99's point seriously, folks.

4,000,000 fans will not be able to watch
the Grey Cup in their homes from now on.

This is serious.

Those of us who care about these fans,
and those fans themselves,

should contact CTVglobemedia Inc.

and let them know that we
strongly disagree with this

CTVglobemedia Inc.

9 Channel Nine Court
Scarborough, Ontario M1S 4B5

tel:416.332.5000 www.ctvglobemedia.com

Corporate Communications tel: 416.332.5000

e-mail:

ctvglobemediacommunications@ctvglobemedia.com

And this watchdog group

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting

Now that's a way to handle it Ron!

Is there a way that fans here on CFL.ca can petition directly to the BOG also?

A petition would be very effective

but to get our feelings known right away

all of us can act immediately by
sending an email to CTV Global Media

This is the simple request I sent.

Everyone is welcome to copy it,

I understand you plan to broadcast the Grey Cup game on TSN.

The Grey Cup game is an important part of the Canadian culture,
and as such it should be available to as many Canadians as possible.

TSN reaches 8 million homes and CTV reaches 12 million.

I implore you to make every effort possible see that
4 million people are not left without T.V. coverage.

I won't be signing any such petition but to each his own.

Here is my email to

FRIENDS of Canadian Broadcasting

Box 200/238 131
Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON
M5S 1R8

friends(at)friends.ca

You may already be making efforts to improve this situation,
but just in case you are not, I am sending you this email

I understand CTV Global Media plans
to broadcast the Grey Cup game on TSN.

TSN only reaches 8 million homes and CTV reaches 12 million.

I am sure you agree, it should be available
to as many Canadians as possible.

4 million people should not be left without T.V. coverage.

Let me put it this way.
The league may have TSN's preferences in mind but if the league says the playoffs are on Sunday, then the playoffs are on Sunday.
The may work together so that both parties are happy but the league has the last word.

Unless of course the network says if you play it at 3:00 am and we'll give you a few more millions, then guess what, that's exactly when the game will be played. In the end, I think the networks have the last word really, in a range of when the games can be played to get the most audience.

Thats right.
Play the CFL playoffs on a Saturday.
The same day as the CIS playoffs.
What a dumb idea.
Tom Wright looks like the hick who went to the big city and got conned by the city slickers.

Maybe,
But the decision is still the league's

I dont see 1 network getting all the games in the next TV deal. I do think the games will be on sports channels though, but, they will spread it around again. The CBC is starting a all sports channel and I would bet that Global will follow with its own as well. I talked to Asper about this in a couple of emails although he never said anything it would be a logical step for him. I also think the nfl will go to some new way of broadcasting their games through their existing networks where the network will be charging viewers for games within 10 years. The stuff I read about it said they dont really want sports on the regular channels.

How many true sports fans dont have TSN.

I suggest that the overwhelming majority of those who do not, will not be watching the games anyhow.

For those that do not have TSN but want to watch, they will find away. Go to a buddys house, etc.

I suggest that overall numbers will not be all that much lower, unless all this bills in TO crap lowers Ontario numbers.

Agreed. Add to the add the far greater amount of money that the teams are aking in and I think the league did the right thing.

Absolutely. And the Bills in To thingy won’t affect it much, the people in southern Ontario who like Canadian football still want to see who wins the national championship of Canada regardless if the Bills play a game or two in Toronto or not.

I agree that most sports fans have TSN and that the vast, vast majority of people who want to watch the Grey Cup will be able to. (Of course, I'm sure we'll see a headline in the Toronto Sun or Globe and Mail about some diehard fan from Igluligaarjuk, Nunavut who can't watch the big show!)

I will miss the CBC's coverage but since they lost all of the good announcers, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm looking forward to Chris Cuthbert calling the game again and Brian Williams to do the pre-game.

The League's better off for the TSN deal. Who cares if the NFL gets on CTV? Big whoop. I bet the Grey Cup will get so much attention and hype on TSN (and CTV for that matter) that nobody will even notice the NFL come November 23rd.

~BTF.