Did Bene actually say that?

After the game coach Bene said something like: "We can dial up the pressure whenever we want to."

That got me wondering whether our relatively low sack totals for the last few years are due more to a philosophy of containing the QB, rather than the all out rush, and doesn't at all reflect the pass rush ability of our linemen and linebackers. Instead of our ends rushing beyond the quarterback to try to get to him they're staying even with him, to retain better angles if the quarterback decides to run out laterally. If the QB tries to sneak up field through one of the four inside gaps, you've got five defenders positioned to make a play on him.

Think about it: what is the one thing you really can't game plan against, unless you decide to spy someone? It's the running quarterback, the guy like Damon Allen, Darian Durant, Hank Burris, Doug Flutie, you know, guys who just kill you by extending plays on second and long with their feet, spoiling your secondary doing a great job of coverage. Of course any team can send a blitzing player from anywhere, anytime, but most of the time we're blitzing we're rushing any combination of Solly, Biggy and Johnson and playing man-to-man in the secondary plus whichever linebacker drops in coverage. Personally I'd rather see more of a pressure defence with four or five rushers, six or seven here and there, with plenty of guys to react to the ball if we can't get to the QB.

I think coaches are really cagey guys who try to save their best stuff for the huge games late in the year. I'm sure Chappy was that way with predictable "here it is, try to stop it" offence for 18 games and then, BANG, all of a sudden we're doing things in the post-season we wish they'd been doing all year. Smart coaches try to do what BC did with their running backs this year, getting multiple guys involved, spreading the work around, to hopefully have your best guys available for the big games in November. Of course that requires a buy-in from the all the players; tough to get it if you have a selfish feature back who wants all the touches like Nick Grigsby. It didn't work out that way for us this year, because you just can't predict when someone is going to get his leg rolled up on in a pile up. Remember all those years where you'd see a guy like Wes Cates, Chad Kackert or Mike Strickland be so banged up by the fist of October they either weren't available or were innefective in the post-season. Cornish had to take a maintenance week last week for just that reason. I'm pretty sure he's more banged up than they're letting on.

I've also been wondering about a few players who've been parked on the one-game injured list for most of this month: Logan, Marsh and Yell. Don't be surprised to see those guys moved back to the active roster before its all over this year.

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

"Cornish had to take a maintenance week last week for just that reason. I'm pretty sure he's more banged up than they're letting on.

I've also been wondering about a few players who've been parked on the one-game injured list for most of this month: Logan, Marsh and Yell. Don't be surprised to see those guys moved back to the active roster before its all over this year."… by dooger

Cornish is an incredible RB but I would not mind if he's a little banged up just to slow him down a little and level the playing field a little.

It would be great to see Yell, Marsh and Logan. Logan will take some of the pressure off Antolin. it will be good to see Marsh back although the Lions D remains strong.

I am super impressed with Jackson's play and Iannuzi played a great game last week too. I have to keep reminding myself though…. Ottawa and Winnipeg are struggling teams. The litmus test will be when the Lions meet the Esks next week in Edmonton. That to me is going to define how things may go for the Lions.

Can you just see it? The Lions go into the playoffs with all of their starters- even Travis Lulay! :rockin:

Very nice write up there dooger. You took a lot of time to write that post. Much appreciated. :thup:

BC defense has fewer quarterback sacks because it is designed to cover receivers with less emphasis on pressuring quarterbacks. This is the best pass defense in CFL based on yards and points allowed. For western teams, remaining games are mostly meaningless. They need not play their best. Eastern route still appears easier in playoffs.

Edmonton is number one in both.

In the East appears easier? Maybe three months ago we could off said that. The Lions lost the last two trips in Montreal. They were inconsistant in Hamilton and lost. They barely beat Ottawa in a snoozer, and Toronto handed us a platter back home. Doesn't matter if we play in the crossover and we have the best pass defense. It will be meaningless if the defense play most of the game and tire out because the offense doesn't give you a chance to take a breath and being inconsistant or the team keep shooting themselfs in the foot by taking stupid penalties. If the players haven't learn from their punishment from the coaching staff from the Winnipeg game then you can bet it will be a very short post season.