Deshaun Watson Proceedings

Wow how much more of the dirt on the NFL has been coming out!

So now there's this bombshell report by the New York Times - there is evidence that the Houston Texans were complicit in the alleged sexual misconduct of Deshaun Watson, who is now facing 24 lawsuits from the female plaintiffs:

2 Likes

The heat turns up on Goodell now given all the precedents since Ben Roethlisberger in 2010 even before "Me Too" became a media phrase for an already existing smaller movement than now.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure what will happen and when. I can’t see the NFL going light on this given their history with Rice and others. I am surprised that Cleveland mortgaged the farm to acquire him with no guarantee he will be playing anytime soon. Bad time to be a Browns fan I would say.

3 Likes

Below is the latest on the Watson saga.

It appears that he is looking at having at least a year off, which makes sense if you take into account that baseball suspended Trevor Bauer for 2 years for an incident with one person that he also wasn’t criminally charged for. That is 23 less accusers than Watson has. Woe for Cleveland. Who will play QB in what is looking like a lost season already and no first round picks for the foreseeable future?

A decision is expected before the opening of Cleveland’s training camp July 27th.

The article also says that the league and NFLPA jointly appointed a former district judge as a disciplinary officer. That person is to review the soon to be prepared report. It is unclear as to whether she has been tasked with making the disciplinary decision but that seems to be the implication. If so I think it is smart to have an independent professional decision maker render a decision as opposed to Roger the Dodger, which would surely be followed by appeals.

(Report: NFL seeks 'significant' suspension for Watson Cleveland Browns Deshaun Watson suspension Houston Texans - TSN.ca)

1 Like

An independent disciplinary officer???? For 23 sexual assaults! if you or I did this we be locked up and the key thrown away. this is again a case those with $$$ can do as they please...
Oh yea, waiting for the posts where some start saying he was set up or women who jumped on the band wagon are not telling the truth and just want money

2 Likes

There is much overlap in this report's information with the fine article linked by @Jon above. Yet then there is this nugget.

I don't see the NFL, or any large or thriving business enterprise of any size for that matter, wanting this matter to linger in the news after any punishment is determined.

I'd be very surprised if NFL's "independent" disciplinary officer didn't go on the harsh side so as to cover this looming legal contingency as reported in this article.

At least now the discussion is more of what degree of punishment to include missed games and no longer from any realistic faction a question of "if" Watson will be punished and miss games.

Watson is currently facing 24 lawsuits, but that number could soon be jumping to 26. The lawyer for the plaintiffs, Tony Buzbee, told CBS Sports earlier this week that two more lawsuits would likely be filed in the near future. The fact that more lawsuits could be filed even after Watson is hit with a potential suspension does complicate things. In that case, the NFL could add a stipulation to any potential Watson punishment that would allow the league to impose additional discipline if any more lawsuits get filed after the original discipline is handed out.

1 Like

The latest on Watson. Can’t really see this affecting his coming NFL suspension.

(Attorney says 20 of 24 lawsuits filed against Watson settled restricted-content)

1 Like

The Texans are now being sued for the first time, apparently the first of many suits to come.

(Suit filed against Texans in connection with Watson lawsuits Houston Texans lawsuit Deshaun Watson Cleveland Browns - TSN.ca)

It appears that we will hear next week of the decision after the conclusion of proceedings on 30 June.

This matter has dragged out long enough, and I'm sure the NFL wants this matter out of the public spotlight by the time the NFL preseason starts.

Here's a key point IF the "independent disciplinary officer" of this private and civil matter :roll_eyes: , Sue L. Robinson, IF the decision indeed is to suspend Watson as in my opinion, as stated weeks ago, will be the case.

Although the NFL is pushing for an indefinite suspension of Watson that would last at least one year, Robinson doesn't necessarily have to follow that suggestion. The judge will be free to suspend Watson for whatever length she sees fit.

1 Like

Nifty move. I was about to say something about you posting this in the wrong thread. You’ll have to teach me how you transferred your post.

Aye thank you yeah I jumbled it up. Here's one way to do it easily.

1. Highlight and copy your entire post in the errant thread.
  2. Use paste to post it in the right thread.
  3. Go back to your post in the errant thread.
  4. Delete your own post in the errant thread using the trash can option.
1 Like

Ok thanks. The only problem for me is highlighting on my phone. It works fine on a computer but usually doesn’t on my phone. Unless I am missing something.

Below is the latest development in this ongoing saga. A positive one I believe. Next up is the suspension Watson is sure to receive. That should be soon. I’m betting on one year.

(Texans settle claims in relation to sexual misconduct allegations involving Watson restricted-content)

1 Like

@Jon and everybody, here's a link that is accessible in the US on the matter as you linked via TSN but shows up as "restricted content" here in the US.

It's noteworthy that Watson has settled only 20 of the cases, but the Texans have settled 30 of them:

That there were 30 women who settled claims against the Texans compared with only 24 who sued Watson potentially indicates that more women who file suits against Watson in the future. The six additional women have not been identified and Buzbee declined to share any details about their claims.

Essentially during the projected suspension, Watson's life will be training, meetings and calls with his attorneys, and court for the most part if he wants to have an NFL future.

1 Like

Didn’t know you couldn’t access the link in the US. It shows up as restricted content automatically but you can access it in Canada. I’ll have to see if I can avoid that somehow.

Below is an article on how Deshaun Watson will essentially be paid almost everything he is owed on his fully guaranteed contract no matter the length of his suspension. What were the Browns thinking?

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-suspension-browns-qbs/sxgdjq8o8ouiyxsz6qf5g1qt

The perspective of one writer who also cannot fathom why the Browns did what they did and the scenario under which the Browns could have a dead cap hit of $220 million in one season. Don’t know any Browns fans personally but they have to be gagging on this signing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/browns-deshaun-watson-deal-hearing/ggwjcc8n7u88rrfpcmyx6psc

1 Like

The Cleveland Browns front office is famous for its history of football mismanagement…this is simply the latest episode…

3 Likes

This could go in the general NFL thread too, but I put it here.

As the media rightfully run over Watson for the allegations and settlements associated with him for his alleged acts, notice the disparity in treatment of Daniel Snyder even before the most recent update to the allegations surrounding him over the years.

He's up to 42 women now - that puts him well ahead of Watson already.

“A total of 42 women have now accused Snyder and team executives of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior,” relayed OutKick’s Joe Kinsey.

Snyder’s spokesperson announced on Thursday:

“Washington Commanders co-owner Dan Snyder today voluntarily testified under oath for nearly 11 hours, on top of the previous cooperation provided to the committee. Mr. Snyder fully addressed all questions about workplace misconduct, described the Commanders’ dramatic two-year transformation and expressed hope for the organization’s bright future.”

1 Like

Thanks for the info. As with many of these types of allegations, it is probably too early to take a firm position on what is appropriate and who is worse.

While Snyder has some 16 more allegations against him, my understanding is that most if not all of these allegations are about creating an inappropriate workplace environment. Failing to promote and inappropriate comments are among the allegations I remember.

Watson’s allegations all involve sexual touching I believe and took place outside of work and therefore arguably required extra effort to compile. To be sure, there are probably allegations against him that are questionable. Whoever heard of a Rub and Tug before Deshaun Watson burst onto the scene?

Both men are certainly deserving of censure, but for me it is too early to tell to what degree. I will wait for more info on both before providing an opinion. We should be receiving info on Watson shortly according to most pundits, while the info on Snyder it appears will have to wait until the House Committee decides to release it, if they decide to release it.

1 Like