Depth Chart - Nov. 15 vs. July 2

With the Depth Chart for tomorrow's season opener in Winnipeg now posted, and GUESSING that the 3 going to the Reserve List will be Mann, DeWit and Mariuz, is the line-up better? Here are the changes from the the playoff game last year:

1. Rottier at RT where Goodspeed was

2. Ramsay as OL back-up where Rottier was

3. Thigpen as back-up RB where Ebell was

4. Brown at FB where Williams was

5. Schmidt as bacK-up FB where Sadeghian was

6. Bolden on the DL where Adams was

7. Dennis at DB where Thompson was

8) Beveridge starting ahead of Barker at Safety
  1. Tisdale moves out to the corner where Smith was

2. Shivers at DB where Tisdale was

3. Heyward as back-up DB where Lamont Reid was

4. DeAngelis & Palardy instead of Setta

5. Wladichuk on STs and DB back-up (ST roster spot where Pavlovic or Grant were)

6. Thigpen the main return man which McDaniel was

I'd say "Better MAY be Better" at 5 and 9, and "Better is PROBABLY Better" at 3, 4, 11, 13 and 14. I don't think I'd yet say "DEFINITELY Better" anywhere. Most might suggest the kicking game but, for me, the jury will be out for a few games until I'm convinced our expected improvement with DeAngelis more than makes up for my expected deficiency in punting when comparing both to Setta.

One thing I noticed about tomorrow's depth chart is that we seem to be starting 10 Canadians! That's the way to put "Canadian" back into the CFL! :rockin:

5 is definitely an upgrade, Schmidt can block.
8 is a downgrade IMO.

Just a small correction.. Bolden isn't where Adams was. McIntyre is. Bolden is where Bolden was last year. Remember Marshall uses a 4-3 D mostly so most of the time there are 2 DT in there.

So a more experienced guy whom the coaches feel is better is a downgrade? Okay…

I just feel that Barker is better than Beveridge. Beveridge is slow and gets beat deep a lot.
Just my opinion that’s all.

Bolden never dressed after Thanksgiving. He was on Reserve for the following 3 games, then moved to the Injured List for the game in WPG and the playoff.

Well Barker is right there practicing with Beveridge and trying to become the starter also. Yet the coaches choose Sandy.

Both are NI so it makes no difference to the roster at all with who starts. Yet they still choose Beveridge.

Coach Marshall’s D has been in the top 3 in the CFL for years. He knows who is better and he chooses Beveridge.

Do any of these very obvious facts maybe make you think you’re wrong?

I agree Barker is better than Beveridge but at least our kick coverage gets a major boost with Barker on special teams, he’s one of the best in the league at covering kicks.

Well Greg Marshall would disagree with you.

Barker is faster yes but if you actually watch the games you will see Barker plays chase more. Beveridge knows where to be from 7 years of experience and that makes up for his lack of speed.

Barker will be starting before the year is over and will be getting plenty of pt on second downs in their cover 2 packages.

With all the NI they are starting I can almost assure you they will use an import as a nickel DB. At least with the current situation.

Barkers raw physical ability is obviously trumped by Beveridge's experience. Marshall even said in a video this year that Sandy's coverage calls were a big part of the D's success in 09. Sandy plays chase less because he knows where to be better. His lack of speed is then unimportant.

I’m not saying that i’m right, obviously he feels that its better to start beveridge at the moment. I trust Greg Marshall as he worked wonders with our Defence last season. I just remember watching games last season where the opposing team would throw deep and Beveridge would be 5 yards behind the intended reciever. Then Barker comes in at the end of the season and gets interceptions, big hits, and didn’t let the reciever behind him nearly as much as Beveridge did. However I think the comptetition is still going on for these two, they will likely be coming in and out of the game for each other throughout the 60 minutes, and someone has to go and take that starting job.

So a more experienced guy whom the coaches feel is better is a downgrade? Okay..
[/quote]
I just feel that Barker is better than Beveridge. Beveridge is slow and gets beat deep a lot.
Just my opinion that's all.
[/quote]
Well Barker is right there practicing with Beveridge and trying to become the starter also. Yet the coaches choose Sandy.

Both are NI so it makes no difference to the roster at all with who starts. Yet they still choose Beveridge.

Coach Marshall's D has been in the top 3 in the CFL for years. He knows who is better and he chooses Beveridge.

Do any of these very obvious facts maybe make you think you're wrong?
[/quote]
Wow. Zen thinks he knows it all.

Much more than "who one coach on the team THINKS is better" goes into player selection. How about how much each is making is sallary; or who is "the head coaches guy;" or perhaps it's a case of "Sandy earns X$, let's give him one more chance to prove he's a starter and worth the $ he gets each year.

Did you ever consider any of those posibilities? Just so you know, not everything you have claimed as a "fact" in your post is actually a fact. Most are just guesses.

With QB solidified better is better at the KEY position from the start of last year.

BillyDee87:

First off you really need to get a grasp on how to quote people. You make it look as if you said all that.

How do you figure I know it all when I am basing my logic on what the professional coaches think? I would say the people who think Barker should start think they know it all. It's not just Marshall that backs Beveridge. Marcel and Obie are huge fans of his also and the head coach has to agree on every single starter for them to get the green light.

I personally feel Barker is more talented but a big big part of playing FS is calling coverage based on offensive formations each and every play. The coaches have indicated on more thn one occasion that is a huge strong point of Beveridge.

Barker has only played 1 full season to this point vs. Beveridge's 7. Who do you think can read formations and call coverage better?

I am basing everything I am saying on facts and not bias at all. As I said I think Barker has more physical ability but Beveridge has a much stronger football mind and that is obviously why they start him.

I'm just happy to have TWO top-notch Cdn. safeties who can spot one another whenever the coaches call for it. I think we will see both in the game depending on the situation.
Go Cats :rockin:

Also forgot to comment on your salary influencing starting role comment, BillyDee87.

Are you serious? Printers didn't start for most of the 2nd half of 08 when Marcel took over.

Also, Barker is a first overall pick and Beveridge has been a backup and ST guy most of his career. I would say their contracts are likely not that far apart in amount.

I'll just say that while I do like Beveridge he's been here 7 years and started like 20 games so he's obviously not brought overwhelming confidence to his coaches. Barker will start at least as many games this year IMO.

Re the Barker vs. Beveridge debate.

I think Barker will get better, he really needs to work on making plays. In the pre season he had 3 or 4 chances at interceptions and just dropped balls. While he was around the play in his position he just seemed to lack a little bit of swagger and confidence in going out and "making a play". Sandy just made a little more of his opportunities and just played a little more confident that was the only difference I saw. I actually thought Wladlichuk in his limited playing time made some nice plays and some nice hits. Either way we will have two great special teamers in Ray and Dylan while we sort out who will start at safety.