Depth Chart and Position Battles

Based on what I can see from the depth chart

Here are battles for roster :

Keep in mind that all rookie battles could be won or lost based on the Montreal game . Players on the bubble cannot afford to have a bad game . A player that was looking to be beat out of a spot can overtake the competion with a big game , big hits , interception , etc .

DB’s

Mccullogh and Webb start at halfs
Stephen and Parks start at corner
Patrick at SAFETY

Hinds and Beswick likely kept for non import DB’s and specialty teams and Daly , King and Bucknor on the bubble

Brown , Hobbs most likely to be kept as import db’s and specialty teams

Breaux, Rolle, Davis on the bubble ( best could end up on reserve list ) - I think Davis make it reserve list

Linebackers

Knowlton, Johnson, Colclough likely to start with Bowman on Injury reserve
Lawrence as import backup and one of Murray or Erick Harris kept as non import and specialty teams (loser could end up on reserve list )

Imports Rosamonda , Bussey on the bubble ( bussey might be on reserve list )

Non imorts Beaullieau Richard and Dubussion likely kept for special teams

DLINE

Davis and Moore and Bulcke make team with Hazime around for depth / special teams
MARSHALL on the bubble unless he movies to DE ( could be put on reserve list )

PEACH , Boudreau, Shomari Williams make team as ENDS

Singletary , Scott, Obiora, Robinson battle for 1 extra spot and maybe 1 reserve list spot ( Exhibition games will decide )

OLINE

Simmons , Wojt, Hage, Dyakowski all look to be starters

Dile could be pushed by Gonzalez and Figueroa and Ingersol – I think they put one of these 3 on the reserve list and start the other )
( I predictic they keep Gonzalez and Figueroa over Dile )

I think BAILLARGEON , Husband and Medeiros make the team …with O’neill let go to give Medeiros a chance at backup center

QB

LeFEVOUR has a big opportunity as does Brohm …I think they will be in tough …I think LeFEVOUR makes it with BROHM and Masoli in tough battle for other job

Could keep the loser on reserve list

RB

Gable and Lamar to battle it out for backup RB . Where is Harden ?

RECEIVERS

Ellingson lineup as SB could hurt him with Fantuz and Giguere around
I still like Ellingson as the best new receiver followed by McCREE , Hilton , Leong , Volcy in that order . Volcy gets extra consideration because he returns kicks .
A lot will be told by this first exhibition game . 3 of them likely stick around .

Campeau and LeMarquand in battle for 4th non import receiver ..where is Distan ?

Based on what I can see from the depth chart

Here are battles for roster :

Keep in mind that all rookie battles could be won or lost based on the Montreal game . Players on the bubble cannot afford to have a bad game . A player that was looking to be beat out of a spot can overtake the competion with a big game , big hits , interception , etc .

DB’s

Mccullogh and Webb start at halfs
Stephen and Parks start at corner
Patrick at SAFETY (Agree 100%)

Hinds and Beswick likely kept for non import DB’s and specialty teams and Daly , King and Bucknor on the bubble (Hinds, Beswick & Bucknor make the roster as backups & ST’s. Doubt King & Daly make even the PR)

Brown , Hobbs most likely to be kept as import db’s and specialty teams b[/b]

Breaux, Rolle, Davis on the bubble ( best could end up on reserve list ) - I think Davis make it reserve list (Breaux over Davis)

Linebackers

Knowlton, Johnson, Colclough likely to start with Bowman on Injury reserve b[/b]
Lawrence as import backup and one of Murray or Erick Harris kept as non import and specialty teams (loser could end up on reserve list ) b[/b]

Imports Rosamonda , Bussey on the bubble ( bussey might be on reserve list ) (That’s a toss up for sure)

Non imorts Beaullieau Richard and Dubussion likely kept for special teams (neither will stick, Fortin will be kept for specials before either of them)

DLINE

Davis and Moore and Bulcke make team with Hazime around for depth / special teams b[/b]
MARSHALL on the bubble unless he movies to DE ( could be put on reserve list ) (Don't think they'll keep another DT)

PEACH , Boudreau, Shomari Williams make team as ENDS b[/b]

Singletary , Scott, Obiora, Robinson battle for 1 extra spot and maybe 1 reserve list spot ( Exhibition games will decide ) (Scott wins this spot)

OLINE

Simmons , Wojt, Hage, Dyakowski all look to be starters b[/b]

Dile could be pushed by Gonzalez and Figueroa and Ingersol – I think they put one of these 3 on the reserve list and start the other )
( I predictic they keep Gonzalez and Figueroa over Dile ) (Yes. Think Figueroa gets RT spot over Dile. Don’t think they’ll burn a PR spot for an Import Olineman though, maybe IR)

I think BAILLARGEON , Husband and Medeiros make the team …with O’neill let go to give Medeiros a chance at backup center (NO! O’Neill is invaluable as an experienced backup at all three interior spots, Husband or Baillargeon toss up, Medeiros to PR.)

QB

LeFEVOUR has a big opportunity as does Brohm …I think they will be in tough …I think LeFEVOUR makes it with BROHM and Masoli in tough battle for other job
Could keep the loser on reserve list

(LeFevour, Brohm as 2nd & 3rd. Won’t burn a PR spot for a 4th QB. If things get dire, just call Masoli or Amrhein at home since that’s where they’ll be)

RB

Gable and Lamar to battle it out for backup RB . Where is Harden ? (It’s Gable’s job. He’ll be starting before Labour Day. Lamar may be kept as a KR on the PR but when Walker is demoted, that’ll be his spot)

RECEIVERS

Ellingson lineup as SB could hurt him with Fantuz and Giguere around
I still like Ellingson as the best new receiver followed by McCREE , Hilton , Leong , Volcy in that order . Volcy gets extra consideration because he returns kicks .
A lot will be told by this first exhibition game . 3 of them likely stick around . (I think Condell has the rookies learning all the SB & WR spots except for Fantuz’s. The guys they’ll keep are the ones that can step up & in when called upon. I rank ‘em Hilton, Ellingson & Volcy ... others cut)

Campeau and LeMarquand in battle for 4th non import receiver ..where is Distan ? (Campeau-Charbonneau sticks and so does Ditson if healthy)

Two amazing posts!

Thanks for taking the tiem to comment on all my thoughts FenderGuy !!

Thanks for the compliemt TiCats0G2 :

Well King sure proved you wrong eh . He might take a spot form Bucknor or Beswick .

I like Brown because he is big and tall to batte with Ricahrdson etc ...I think Davis outplayed Breauxc

Too bad they could not keep both Rosamonda and Bussey

Do you still think Scott will win a spot after seeing Singletary and Obiora ? I am thinking they might be better than Peach , Boudrea. Shomari ...I like Marhsall and i think he was a DE in School

I too think Figueroa makes this team..i noticed he took off of the line on the WALKER td to block downfield ...he's a beast ...Dile may be in tough

I still think O'neill might go ..same logic as Stala ..and Medieros is ready to backup and be mentored by HAGE .

I am not as high on Brohm and as down on MASOLI as you and others . Watch Masoli..he just flicks his wrist for passes not pre meditaing liek BROHM ..BROHM OVER threw Volcy TWICE and another guy once and he is not very mobile .
Masoli can run very well

I still like Hilton but not as much as Ellingson ....McCree didn't get many touches but did well when called upon.
I think we give them all another game ..I think Leong has not shown much and could be gone ...

I too like Gable..very versatlie ..things come easy to him ..he's our only big back and he can block, run inside and out and has good senses amnd can catch the ball ..reminds me a bit of Fred Reid but bigger ...jury still out on WALKER

I didn't like the kick return game but Lamar made soem big plays ..he is very hit and miss ..big play or nothing ..like Walker , Thigpen in the past.

Campeau-Charbonneau made the team ..good catches and specialty team play ..as LeMarquand had a nightmare game ...

Some of the things that stand out to me as far as who they cut & who they keep ... Again in no particular order ...

Masoli and LeFevour have similiar skill sets. They run the zone-read-run option very well and are much better at it than Brohm. So what kind of QB do you want backing up Burris. Henry doesn't pull the ball on the read-run option enough to make it/him a legitimate threat, nor am I saying he should. I see Burris & Brohm being more similar with Henry being a little more athletic, but both being the more prototypical pocket passer with some escape ability. Masoli & LeFevour are very similiar. So what kind of backup do you want and who do you want to develop. I can see Austin favouring Brohm in a way since his style is much more similiar to his own back in his playing days.

I liked Brown a lot. It's too bad that Clowney got hurt and it looked scary and I hope he's fine, but did you notice who it was who was up in the face of the former Jet? Yep ... #42.

As good as Webb was with nearly 2 interceptions, I noticed upon review that he was the one that got beat on AC's 50 yarder to JRich.

Shomari Williams was invisible. No way he gets cut since he's one of Austin's big offseason acquisitions & is a non import, but he was not impressive. Wonder if he's having trouble finding his comfort zone both size & positionally?

Still think O'Neill is the #1 backup Olineman. In actual fact it was him leading the way on Walker's screen pass TD. O'Neill is a vet and can call the blocking assignments and captain the OLine should Hage get hurt. I wouldn't want to rely upon Medieros in that role. He's good. But PR for now.

Yes. Marshall was a DE at USF. Not sure any of the new guys are better than Peach and Boudreaux. Especially Boudreaux. I think Brandon is their best Dlinemen and is going to have a solid year. Remember, Steinhauer employs lots of stunts and blitzes and different pressure schemes. Athletic DE's are necessary. And that CFL experience, even if it's just a year is invaluable. That one yard is a big difference. The OLine tactics are very different up here than down there. It'll take rookies some time. That's why I favour the guys that have a little canadian experience under their belt.