Deon Beasley & Marcellus Bowman sign extensions

From BB.com:

BLUE INK TWO TO EXTENSIONS

November 04, 2010

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are pleased to announce that they have inked rookie defensive back Deon Beasley and rookie linebacker Marcellus Bowman to two-year contract extensions.

Beasley (5-10, 180, Texas, DOB: September 19, 1987 in Orange, Texas) signed with the Blue Bombers on July 12, 2010 and became a starter on the corner in August. So far this season, Beasley has racked up 22 tackles, one fumble recovery and two interceptions – including the double overtime game winner against the BC Lions which he returned for a touchdown.

Beasley is also the team’s primary kick returner and has returned 24 kickoffs for 511 yards for an impressive 21.3-yard average this season.

Bowman (6-3, 231, Boston College, DOB: October 12, 1986 in Girard, Ohio) has been a dominant force at the linebacker position since winning the job out of training camp. Despite missing four games due to injury early in the year, the 24-year old has made 45 tackles, two sacks, one interception and eight special teams tackles.

“We’re thrilled to lock down defensive players of Marcellus and Deon’s caliber. They have both come in and proven they can compete at a high level in this league and we’re excited for them to continue that for years to come,? said Vice-President and General Manager Joe Mack.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blue-bombers-ink-two-to-extentions

Great news! I’m a big fan of Marcellus Bowman and Deon Beasley has been great since he joined the team. Great start for next season.

Good news. Deon Beasley may go down in history as the last player to catch a pass from Casey Printers! :lol:

…building a strong foundation starts with this…good signings…

as an aside note…I would like to see us lock-up Hefney and Hunt…both have expressed interest in trying the nfl in Hefneys case for a second time…I’d hate to lose either one of these guys…LaBatte is also rumoured to be heading south for a look…I would like to see these guys re-up ,to keep important parts of this team intact…guess we’ll find out how good Mack is at negotiating :roll:

According to a poster at EP, Bob Irving reported that Hunt and Labatte were the only ones the Bombers needed to worry about trying the NFL but both Hunt and Labatte are uneasy about it because of the uncertainty regarding a possible NFL strike/lock-out.

I would not be surprised if there was at least a partial lockout of the next NFL season.. which certainly might be a good thing for us if it makes keeping Hunt and/or LaBatte easier. Would love to see Hefney locked up too.

Would also like to see Clint Kent back next year. Thought he played great!

Kent was a very nice surprise at LB’er this season. Gotta give Kavis credit, he did a really good job considering the number of changes in personnel he had to deal with.

Beasley and Bowman both showed some game, glad we are giving them more opportunity to see what else they can do.

Moving Kent up to LB from the secondary was a very good move indeed.

I really like Marcellus Bowman, very good re-signings :thup:

He should be. I don’t think he’ll get any NFL interest so he’ll be back for next season at least.