Definition of TOL

Last game a young boy pointed to the scoreboard and asked me what TOL stood for. I hadn't noticed it before and could not answer.

TOL was listed for both teams and I believe remained at "0" for the whole game.

I thought I knew a lot about the game but I was not familiar with the term TOL.

Definition... please and thank you :slight_smile:

I believe it stands for; "Time Outs Left".

Strange that it remained at "0" for the whole game though.

Im 99.9% sure its Turnovers Lost but not 100% sure

so yeah im 99.9% wrong according to poster above me lol

They havnt got that figured out yet on new SB hehe

Correct, Time Outs Left. Or Times Out Left if you want to be pedantic. (Not ever really sure that I used the word pedantic correctly.)

I noticed at one of the earlier games it was set to 3 for both teams. Probably because the scoreboard is made in the States (I assume) and the default value is 3.

On that note, could someone refresh me on how timeouts currently work in the CFL?

It used to be strictly 1 per team per half. My understanding now is that since 2012 or 2013 it is 2 per team per half but only 1 can be used under 3 minutes?

Am I under the right impression?

2013 CFL RULE CHANGES

1. Rule 1, Section 7 Article 5 – Team Time Out (Page 17)
    Restriction previously placed on team time outs limiting their use to one per half has been removed.
    Sentences added:
    Each team shall be granted two time outs per game and will be permitted to use them at any point during regulation time, subject to the following:
    (a) the time out may be requested by any player on the field, or the Head Coach, and may be directed to any official on the field,
    (b) the time out shall be 30 seconds in duration,
    (c) the game time will resume on the snap.
    b a team shall not be permitted to request or use a second time out in
    the same dead ball period in which they have used a time out,
    (e) a team may use only one time out in the last three minutes of the
    fourth quarter.[/b]

And how it relates to challenges ...

Article 6 – Instant Replay Review
An Instant Replay Review request, challenging the ruling on the field, may only be initiated by the Head Coach, who will throw a challenge flag onto the field, prior to the legal snap of the ball.
Each team will have the ability to execute two (2) challenges per game, if a team is successful on both, they will gain the opportunity to execute a third challenge.
The first challenge will have no impact on team time outs, regardless of the outcome of the challenge.
A second challenge, if unsuccessful, will result in the loss of a team time out.
In order to execute a second challenge, a team must have a team time out remaining.
In order to execute a third challenge, a team must have been successful on both their first two (2) challenges and must have a team time out remaining.
A third challenge, if unsuccessful, will result in the loss of a team time out.
If both team time outs have been used prior to any challenges, a team will continue to have the opportunity for one challenge.

And the new Pass Interference Review ...

Pass Interference Video Review

Coaches are now allowed to challenge both called and potential defensive pass interference fouls under certain conditions.

The new rule now provides a team with the ability to use any and all of its Coaches' Challenges to challenge a called or potential pass interference foul up to the final three minutes of a game. In the final three minutes of a game, and overtime, a team can only challenge such a call or non-call one time, and only if it still has an unused challenge and a timeout remaining.

A coach must challenge to trigger a video review of a pass interference call or a potential pass interference call. They will not be subject to automatic review by the Command Centre.

An unsuccessful challenge of a potential pass interference foul in the final three minutes will result in the loss of a timeout. An unsuccessful challenge of an actual pass interference call in the final minutes will not result in the loss of a timeout.

The CFL is the first football league to subject pass interference to video review.

The role of the Command Centre has also been expanded to automatically review specific turnovers of fumbles lost and interceptions, and can now detect illegal participation fouls during a play (when a player returns to the field after voluntarily leaving it).

Thanks for the reference FengerGuy..

Most appreciated.