Defensive signals / communication

On Winnipeg's only major score last game, Bishop hooked up with a wide-open Titus Ryan for a long TD. Ryan looked to be open because of a miscommunication between corner Sanchez and safety Proulx. Sanchez evidently let Ryan release down field under the assumption that safety help would be forthcoming over top. Proulx apparently thought Sanchez would be in man against Ryan. Whichever player was right and whichever player was wrong, the result was the same: one play, one TD against.

I don't want to come across as negative, but busted coverage that results in a huge play or TD against has become all too common with our defense over the past month. Why is that? Why has this hitherto stellar group suddenly forgotten how to communicate with each other and ensure they're on the same page? Everyone around the league is talking about how we're susceptible to the big play. Are they right? Come the playoffs, will other teams push the ball down field on us with impunity? What, if anything, can we do to avoid getting burned on the deep ball?

D line has to put more pressure on the QB. Even in last week big win against the peg, Bishop had lots of time most of the time, he was just in one of his unacurate days. These long plays take time to develop so don't give them the time. That is my 2 cents anyway.

Time or not, there is no excuse for receivers getting wide open behind coverage down field.

With just one game to go, the Als defence has given up 100 points less than the 2002 version which was instrumental in the Grey Cup win.
Sanchez was, after all, out for two games, and Proulx missed time over the course of the season. The overall performance of the defence season indicates they will be fine-tuned for the big games.

I respectfully disagree. Although they didn't register a sack, the Als didn't allow Bishop to get comfortable at all. He was panicking and consequently was rushing his throws (OK...except for that ONE play :roll: ). The most important thing is that the 'D' completely shut him down again after that one lapse.

I agree. I'm not too worried about the D going into the playoffs this year. I'm just hoping the offense shows up in the second half if the Als make it to the big game. :wink:

There is no real secret to not getting beat on the deep route. The QB simply cannot be allowed to let the receiver run his route and have the time to lob one downfield. There must be continual pressure (not necessarily a full blitz) on the QB; the DBs cannot do this alone.

More than other team games, football relies on 12 guys doing their job and doing so in a coordinated manner. The former Russian hockey coach Viktor Tikhanin likened North American footbal to a game of Bears and Rabbits, an interesting analogy. When one player gets beat in football, it's very likely that other players missed their assignments as well. BUT if there is sufficient and constant pressure on the QB, the DBs job will definitely be easier. Also, the defence must vary their looks, vary man/zone, end rushes, MLB/CB rushes, simulating a rush and then dropping back into zone...etc. to keep the QB off balance and guessing.

We must also remember that QBs earned their way to their positions. On any given day, a pro QB will find a way to beat you one way or another. The trick is to keep him off balance just enough to get the W.

Oi. You're not getting my point. I'm not talking about our DBs being beaten down field in press coverage. That will happen, big play or not. I'm talking about busted coverages, where an enemy receiver is completely open because the corner and the safety weren't communicating properly. This has nothing to do with sacks or D-line pressure and everything to do with the secondary.

I hope so. I can buy Sanchez being rusty, but Proulx has actually been back in the lineup for weeks now. Last game was his first back as a starter, but still, if the blown coverage was his fault, it’s unacceptable. The safety is the last line of defense for the team down field. It’s imperative that he is 100% clear on where and when he’s supposed to be providing coverage help over top, particularly when we’re in zone.

I think you're over-reacting. The defense played great on Sunday. Busted coverages happen all the time to all teams. It just so happened that ours happened when Winnipeg had a deep route called. The D proved to me that they'll be there when the time comes...

Oi. You're not getting my point. I'm not talking about our DBs being beaten down field in press coverage. That will happen, big play or not. I'm talking about busted coverages, where an enemy receiver is completely open because the corner and the safety weren't communicating properly. This has nothing to do with sacks or D-line pressure and everything to do with the secondary

Let us not forget that Richardson, Watkins, and other of our fine receivers have been wide open at several times this season. This is due in no small part to the O-line giving AC the time he needs to make his read, for the receiver's skills to get himself open, and yes, a "blown" converage or two, or simply because on that day the receiver was able to get the better of the DB/Safety. Let's not forget that while the Als are blessed with fine receivers, so are other teams. In the final analysis, it's the ability to execute well on a given day that spells the difference between a win or a loss.

The last game in Winnipeg, it was the number of times that their receivers were able to get open. Their were replacements at DB and Safety and no effective pass rush that were responsible for this, at least in my opinion.

Discipline, your understanding of the game is far beyond mine. From that last game against the Bombers, it did not seem to me that Bishop was getting so much pressure, it seem most of the time they were attempting short pass and Bish was not very accurate. But, having 2 very young child, I watch what I can between diapers, Dora and playdoe... :smiley:

DocJ, the pressure was there. It wasn't evident in the sack category, but we rushed Bishop into many inaccurate throws. Now, that being said, my original point had nothing to do with pressure. A blown coverage is a blown coverage regardless of what the D-line is doing, and we've been giving up way too many of those in the past few weeks.

I could be overreacting, as jackp said. Fair enough. But the deep ball has given us fits throughout the season: Edmonton game 2, Sask game 2, Hamilton game 3, Winnipeg game 3. I can deal with being beaten deep when the receiver makes a play in coverage. What I find unacceptable is a receiver doing his end-zone dance because the safety and the corner got their wires crossed about who was supposed to be in coverage.

I just read that Proulx suffered an injury to his left hand but, will play with his good right hand hopefully he will be up to the challenge. Looking back, I thought the BB QB had enough time to connect. The defense cannot be perfect and will screw up occasionally. I believe we have more speed on defense this year and, it will be up to the defense to win. Proulx had his best season this year and , hopefully will be at his best in the weeks to come. Boulay has speed to burn and, lets hope they will take this beyond to the Grey Cup. After all these years of lost Grey Cups we will all have lots of anxiety. Maybe we need to add prayer as a 13 th element this year.

:lol: I hear ya man. Been there.