Decade awards: Tiger-Cats in the 2010s

As the decade winds down, here’s some thoughts on highlights and a few low points. Debate welcome on any and all points, especially where I’ve drawn a blank. (Thanks in advance for the inevitable sarcastic contributions.)

Individual Performances

Offensive Player of the Decade: Brandon Banks

Defensive Player of the Decade: Simoni Lawrence

Best debut: Marcus Thigpen, July 2010: KO return TD and MFG return TD in first-ever CFL game.

Best single-game performance, regular season: ?

Best single-game performance, playoffs: Speedy B, 2014 East Final vs MTL

Best comeback story: ?

Worst comeback story: “ComebackSZN 2018? (Can we still buy the “Lost in the Sauce? hoodies?).

Best feel-good story: Delvin Breaux

Best TD celebrations: Dave Stala

Team Performances

Best victory: 2013 Eastern Final in Toronto

Worst loss: 60-1 vs CAL, 2017

Best single drive: The Drive, 2013 East semi-final in Guelph

Most heartbreaking moment:
(1) Illegal block penalty, 2014 Grey Cup
(2) Burris to Ellingson, 93 yards, 2015 Eastern Final in OTT
(3) Collaros knee injury, Sept 2015

Worst venue: McMahon Stadium (0 for the decade)

Best team, full season: 2019

Best team, moment in time: Early September 2015 (Sorry, but I say that team at full strength beats our 2019 team)

Roster Decisions

Best draft pick (high): Revenberg, round 1 (2016)

Best draft pick (low): Mike Daly, round 6 (2013); STE, round 8 (2017)

Worst draft pick: Mark Chapman (2018)

Best trade: Simoni, Masoli and Wojt to HAM; Kanya and Rockhill to EDM (2013)

Worst trade: Bomben to MTL to move up one position in the draft. CJ Gable to EDM for nothing, really.

Best free agent signing: Fantuz; Van Zeyl

Worst free agent signing: ?

The One We Should Have Kept: Greg Ellingson, Ed Gainey

Organization

Best coaching hire: Orlondo Steinauer given his first coordinator role, 2013

Worst coaching hire: Casey Creehan, DC 2012

Biggest coaching bust: George Cortez, 2012

Biggest single moment: Tim Hortons Field opens, 2014

Most nostalgic moment: Last game at Ivor Wynne, 2012

All-Star Team

Often hard to think of guys who played here more than two seasons. Some guys straddled the previous decade – trying to keep selections to contributions in the 2010s.

Offence

QB: Masoli. Ticat for seven seasons, started games in six. One MOP nomination. Our only all-star QB?

• Contenders: Glenn and Burris only played two seasons with us in the 2010s. Collaros played parts of four.

RB: CJ Gable

• Contenders: No one else started for more than two seasons. (Cobb, Colborne)

WRs: Tasker, Fantuz and Banks are the only locks. Others: probably Bakari, Stala.

• Contenders: Chris Williams, maybe Toliver

O-line: Filer or Hage at C. Dyakowski and Revenberg at G. Tackles: Probably R.Matthews and … our first-ever award winner at the position, CVZ (with only one season as a Cat)?

Defence

D-line: Laurent is the only lock. So much turnover otherwise.

• Contenders: Hickman, Norwood, Tracy … I feel like I’m forgetting someone.

LB: Simoni is the only lock.

• Contenders: Markeith Knowlton, Erik Harris, Larry Dean, Jamall Johnson

DB: Breaux is a lock – and arguably Emanuel Davis.

• Contenders: Leonard, Brooks, C.Stephen, R.Murray … ?

Special Teams

Kicker: Medlock

Punter: Perhaps also Medlock?

Returner: Speedy B

Coverage: Mark Beswick

Other Categories

All ideas welcome!

• Best quote of the decade
  • Best haircut
  • Best abs / teeth / tattoo / cinematography
  • Best trash-talker (as if!)
  • Best/worst use of social media
  • Team Spirit Award? Community service?
  • Guy you’d want on your side in a bar fight

Thanks for playing.

How about in 2016 against the Eskimos? Masoli engineering the largest historical comeback in Ti-Cat’s history from being down 31-6. He also managed to set a new pass completion record of 23 in that game.

Tiquan Underwood’s high-top fade. Still can’t figure out how he packed that into his helmet. ;D

As much as I can’t stand him, Burris threw for 10,000 yards and 70 TDs in two seasons, led us to the Grey Cup.

Probably has to be him given the limited long term success at the position.

3(a) All other season ending ACL injuries too numerous to mention. (Masoli, Frey, Saunders, etc.) :frowning:

Sandro DeAngelis

Arland Bruce 16 catches - 272 yds --2TD

Does Art Briles qualify?

Or is that better suited to a Worst PR Move award?

Damn - I had that one in mind when I was thinking about this post, but then I forgot about it when I was actually writing it up.

I would also include in this category these 9 other players to round out my Top 10 Worst free agent signings list of the decade… So here they are folks , in no particular order . Feel free to agree/disagree or to add/delete as you see fit .

Spencer Watt
Abdul Kanneh
Demond Washington
Johnny Sears
Dominique Ellis
Marcellus Bowman
Cary Koch
Greg Peach
Shomari Williams

Hows about Worst draft pick / biggest bust that actually played in a game for us category ?

and the winner by a landslide has to be…Evan Gill .

We drafted Gill 9th overall in the 1rst round of the 2014 draft . He spent more time in the tub then on the field suiting up for a grand total of 5 whole games for us in 3 seasons here .

Gill spent the entire 2015 season on the IL , dressed for 4 games in 2016 and only once in 2017 before the team finally had enough of him and let him go .

Runner-up in this category as an honourable mention would go to Linden Gaydosh .
Gaydosh was the number one pick in the 2013 draft but chose to sign in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers that season . He eventually signed on here halfway thru the 2014 season where he suited up and played 9 games for us plus the EF and Grey Cup that year . The following year in 2015 he tore his Achilles tendon and missed the entire season . He wound up playing only one more game for us in the 2016 season before we traded him to Saskatchewan who released him before he eventually was picked up by Toronto .

Don’t forget Moe Petrus Centre U Conn . our first pick in the 2011 CFL draft . Like Chapman , he never played a down with Cats and like Chapman, he never played a down in pro football in the regular season .

Pat Lynch (the old person)

Ranking the Decades teams year by year from best to worst . This is just my own personal rankings of all 10 teams and seasons in this decade . I’m sure that some in here might agree with me and others maybe not so much .

#1…2019…15 - 3 - 30 - 1rst …lost Grey Cup to Winnipeg
#2…2015…10 - 8 - 20 - 2nd…lost East Final vs Ottawa
#3…2014…9 - 9 - 18 - 1rst…lost Grey Cup vs Calgary
#4…2013…10 - 8 - 20 - 2nd…lost Grey Cup vs Saskatchewan
#5…2011…8 - 10 - 16 - 3rd…lost East Final vs Winnipeg
#6…2018…8 - 10 - 16 - 2nd…lost East Final vs Ottawa
#7…2010…9 - 9 - 18 - 2nd…lost East Semi vs Toronto
#8…2016…7 - 11 - 14 - 2nd…lost East Semi vs Edmonton
#9…2017…6 - 12 - 12 - 4th…missed play-offs
#10…2012…6 - 12 - 12 - 4th…missed play-offs

I’ll wait another year for the actual end of the decade.

You’re not going to enjoy any of the news and entertainment shows over the next week or so.