Death of the Long Field Goal?

Maybe they should take two of the current "plus 4" guys and let them play, so 44+2 instead of 42+4.

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84149]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84149[/url] Thread on increasing roster from 42 to 46....Cat Forum

If they are going to go to 44 to dress then they will still need the four players who will be available to dress. This gives each team the best chance to be able to address 44 healthy players. That is the reasn why 4 players do not dress as we discused before. Some starters could be game day decisions on whether they are healthy enough to play or not. Also gives teams a buffer in case someone does get hurt the day before the game and can’t go or even get injured during pre game warm ups. Adding a 4th QB to the roster for the week with your starter being day to day. If you get to game day and it is determined that he can’t play the team still will have three QBs on the game day roster. This takes much more importance now as a QB in the CFL is used more as part of the regular game plan with the short Yardage unit, a Wild Cat Package to go along with traditional role of a holder.
You want your starter to be in the game so waiting to the last minut does not put a team at a disadvantage by either not having him on the roster and get to game day and he can play but are already commited to another 3rd QB. With the four man buffer the 4th QB that is carried can be scratched and the starter can play.
So if they do up the roster which many beleive should be done if it is 44 it will be 44 plus 4.

I think that also pw/Earl for the old way OT format, however adopt the current OT format in the NFL. I do support the current CFL OT by the way, but on a slim stick. If I’m not mistaken Wally Buono [“Sigh”] was one of the front runners to suggest the CFL OT format change in the first place.

The old overtime format was the best…mini-game…2 five minute halfs. winner determined after 10 minutes of play.

That’s why the CFL changed it in the first place because of the length [already stated in a previous post] being up to 25-30 minutes of extra T.V. time. I think the NFL OT current standard is good as each team gets 1 crack at it to score. Then if equalled in the score of points, then sudden death. However if team A scores FG or Major on first poss., team B gets their crack to score such; if not - game over.

as far as ot goes. each team gets one turn starting from their own goal line. 4 plays. whoever gets the farthest downfield wins. Get sack in the endzone, you lose.

It’s coaching strategy evolving. Field goal range is a carefully calculated coaching decision. It has nothing to do with the record books. The record books record the history, they do not shape or guide the present or the future.

And I’d much rather watch a long bomb pass attempt than a routine field goal. We could change the rule book to outlaw kicking and force teams to gamble on 3rd down no matter the yardage. I’m being facetious and hoping that that statement doesn’t come off condescending, but the example I give, as exaggerated as it is, just demonstrates that the CHOICE of whether to punt or kick a FG is as much a part of football as the punts and FGs themselves. It’s all part of the drama that we tune in to watch every week. As you say, Kavis Reed elected to punt before the half. Was it a boring play that warrants no mention, or did Kavis get outcoached and give us something to talk about?

For sure! :thup: I HATE the current scrimmage ball sham.

Or sure right, if not going back to the prior CFL OT format, 2nd best would be to adopt the NFL’s current format as has been a success.

The problem with OT is mainly TSN. They don't like broadcasts to extend and not know how long it could take. Fans like it but broadcasters hate it. They get no extra money from advertising. Sat costs increase, and their other paid programming takes a hit, its also dangerous for players, they are tired and risk of injury increases with that. That's why I liked the kicking idea. It is short, lots of drama and your sure someone will win in a short time.
I don't mind OTs as long as they happen in the last game of a double-header. When they happen in the first game, we miss all the early action of the second game due to the extension of the first broadcast. I loathe shoot-outs in hockey but I don't mind giving a FG kicker a chance to be the hero in a CFL game.

Could easily be solved by a split-screen showing both games at once.