Death Knell for Jim Balsillie ???

If a second team goes to Toronto there won't be a Hamilton NHL team. Guess they need two teams to get mad at when they're the disgrace of the NHL.

God...I can't believe you folks balking at tax dollars going towards a Copps reno.

Do you really think you'll see an significanty increase in what you're paying anyways?

I'm taxed to death at the moment, but if that money is going to be spent somewhere, I'd rather see it put towards something that I can benefit from, either directly, or indirectly.

Having an NHL team might actually help turn around that septic tank we call a downtown.

Numerous plans have been put in place (or discussed) by our inept municipal politicians, and where are we now? The downtown core is a dump.

Downtown is a place I used to go as a wee lad, to catch a movie at the Tivoli or the Odeon, or to shop at businesses in the King & James area. Now, it's a shadow of it's former self, and is an area that I hope my kids stay away from, when they get older.

The downtown need a huge boost like this. Where would you rather see your $$$ going....towards building the downtown area, or sqaundered away by politicians on things such as their wages, pensions, the firearms registry, bilingualism....and the list goes on and on....

Give me a Copps reno anyday, and no, I don't want to hear the bleeding hearts start on about social programs and inadequate funding.

I'd rather see at least some of my taxes come back to Hamilton instead of most of it going to Toronto for another monument to itself.

Hamilton always seems to get the shaft one way or the other. (see recent Federal grants to colleges and universities. McMaster had a few million thrown it's way but not so much relative to most other institutions and Mohawk College got zilch, while some got $20-30mil each). Search out he list, it's sickening.)).

I just read a little more on this new group bidding for an expansion team, and I believe that RIM Jim can rest easy.... :wink:

Total 100% scam.

What a joke.

This announcement for a expansion team in Toronto is definately a pipe dream. The very fact they came out with it at this time shows that something isn't right. There would be a higher chance (ok there isn't much chance)..that Toronto would rather have a team in Hamilton than another in Toronto.I really don't see expansion on the horizon for the NHL with 5 or 6 teams maybe in trouble. There is only a few other cities that the NHL can move to and some of them (american)..could find themselves in the same situation as Phoneix in a few years. It wouldn't surprise me that a few teams won't exist simply because they won't be able to find a place to move and it's time for contraction

Oh yeah.

Here’s a scenario that wouldn’t surprise me if the NHL wins the Phoenix court battle.

Contract by dissolving Phoenix and expand to Hamilton for huge money that all owners get a piece of.

League stays at 30 teams, and Moyes is screwed.

..i can agree with part of that..except the part about Hamilton :smiley: