Dear Caretaker I will not support in any way a compromise to the Canadian game

The Global players were additional roster spots. They would more likely take jobs away from US players.

Then again, if the ratio is removed in a merger, I can’t see global spots staying intact either.

I am still sticking to the CFL and it’s Canadian rules.

Some fans are resigned to the fact it’s better to accept a compromise on rules and ratio to have football than none at all.

There will be football in Canada at some point as stadiums need to have games to justify the cost of having them built.

Also the owners need to recover their losses inspite of their ineptness.

1 Like

The CFL and NFL require slightly different athletes. Right now we have the best players in the world for the Canadian field and rules. Take those players, put them on a smaller field with American rules and mix them with XFL players and you get a watered down NFL.
If you don’t think the rules will be American consider two things - most American stadiums will not accommodate a Canadian field and remember the Golden Rule-- whoever has the gold makes the rules.

2 Likes

I agree on some level the athletes will be different which is why I don't think whatever this new league/merger is called will be largely NFL rules.

If the current rules are still kept intact with the only major difference being 4 downs and having the field 10 yards shorter but keep it 65 yards wide, pre motion snap, 1 yard off line of scrimmage etc....those type of players will still be needed. Keep in mind, the XFL guys will need something that sets them apart from the NFL too.

1 Like

Canadian Football to me is the size of field, and the rules at play. The body count and where they are from are irrelevant to me.

3 Likes

That explains a LOT about you, AND those who liked your post.
Maybe those of you ilk can find a tiny corner of the Internet in which to hang out…

3 Likes

I am not sure what you mean by your passive aggressive post, but whateva. It’s just an opinion, relax.

Well I've read all 447 posts, some really good, some really bad so I'll just add:
I can hardly wait for some Canadian content football including Canadian Players!!!
CFL NEEDS to stay CFL Period ,,,,,,,nuff said

10 Likes

Reading comments on other sites. Theres interest in a 3 down league. Start something new instead of another 4 down league. Maybe a 15yrd endzone will help with stadiums. And the wider field being mentioned to bring more of the run back.

Our stadiums in Canada don’t need 15 yard endzones . The BMO endzones are a joke . :upside_down_face:

Pat Lynch (the old person)

2 Likes

20 yards it is.

MLSE had BMO renovated towards a soccer specific stadium thus resulting in those shorter endzones.

Still not sure why they waited till 2015 to buy the Argos unless they were told by the NFL to secure the Argos future.

Larry Tanumbam did say back in 2007 or 2008 during the Bills in Toronto Series that as soon as the NFL gave him word, he will pursue an NFL franchise vigorously.

I don’t believe they are the right people to steer the goodship ARGO.

Maybe he’s waiting for the NFL to give him the go ahead.

I wonder about this issue now.

2 Likes

Fun fact (if my brain cells haven’t been too fried lately) IIRC endzones were reduced to 20 yards from 25 due to BC Place Stadium being 10 yards too short when it opened. I guess size matters on the left coast? In any event how they could not have designed the stadium with an extra 30 feet is beyond me.

5 Likes

End zone dimensions have always been somewhat flexible in Canadian football. The Alouettes still have truncated corners for a running track.

I suspect the original goal areas were anything that fit reasonably inside a running track but I don't know that as a fact.

The old Civic Stadium field had a track that ran around it. (The stadium was built for the inaugural British Empire Games in 1930, after all). The endzones were 25 yards deep, but the corners were somewhat rounded off. :football:

2 Likes

I remember the cut corners at Ivor Wynne right up till the infill turf went in in 2003

Field length was also flexible. Early Canadian football fields were 100 yards long (Gasp!) max. In the mid 1890s they switched to 110 yards long x 65 yards wide.

I wonder why they made that switch?

1 Like

I was wondering that, too. I didn’t even realise this until I did some research on early Canadian football.

Can you tell us something else that would surprise most of us?

Sarnia won the Grey Cup?

1 Like