Dear Caretaker I will not support in any way a compromise to the Canadian game

Let me guess

You watch it because of the mediocrity :grinning:

2 Likes

SO typical of these supposed CFL “fan” forums.

Why don’t some of these guys go join an NFL fan-boy forum where they could bring up Canadian football talent and $hite all over how inferior it is ?

1 Like

I’d love nothing more than to see the next great Canadian starting QB or Brandon Banks equivalent. Who doesn’t get more invested in the game when you watch a National player, especially a local kid with talent succeed?

Thing is, more and more of these top guys get snatched up by the NFL and we have to wait 3-4 years to see them if they come back at all. So the next crop of guys, while still very talented, may take an extra couple years of seasoning and patience to grow into starters.

Coaches are under intense pressure to win today, and it will always be easier to opt for an American player who’s usually played longer, with better coaching growing up. Outside of a few exceptions, most teams will only start the bare minimum or maybe one more Canadian than required. It’s not a grand conspiracy, really the way it’s always been whether the starting requirement was 7 or 10 non-imports. Salary considerations play into this as well, as there are huge numbers of Americans graduating every year who can come in and start playing for minimum salaries.

As for US coaches supposedly discriminating against Canadians, ask yourself this - where were Mike O’Shea and Kyle Walters when they could have drafted someone like Michael O’ Connor or Nathan Rourke? How about Cal Murphy - any Canadian qbs he brought in to the league? Marcel Bellefeuille? These guys all played the ratio game just like anyone else.

1 Like

No / agreed- it’s not some sort of “conspiracy”. It’s deeply ingrained , taught, systemic bias, IMO. Is what it is. Like the lengthy NFL period where African American QBs got little shot to try-out or play (Ticats American QB Don MacPherson made the comparison when he saw Canadian QB team-mate Bob Torrance’s situation with the Ticats in the 90s) That’s fine if you agree with that sort of stuff.

I’d like to ask you the same thing? Did you register to pick a fight??? Or did you pick the wrong account by mistake?

If the Canadian Football League wants to be the apex of the Canadian football system and support Canadian talent, then some form of the ratio is still necessary.

The best soccer league in the world arguably is the Barclays Premier League and it features a home grown ratio. The English national team despite mediocre performance at international tournaments, would be worse off if it didn't play its home grown talent with the best players from abroad in its domestic league.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homegrown_Player_Rule_(England)

The thing is that our developmental ranks in Usports (where most Canadian college gridiron players still play) is much smaller and has less financial backing as compared with the NCAA. Though I feel the CFL lacks in sufficient support of grass roots football, having half the roster be of Canadian origin while the other half is from the higher calibre NCAA (perhaps some NFL experience) for the most part, it allows our domestic talent to catch up to an extent before hopefully being awarded one of the mandated national starting positions.

I think we have a lot of people with potential in Canada. Some are good enough to go straight to the NCAA and NFL. The CFL serves a great purpose to bring those who need a bit more development up to their pro level potential.

Im open to all sorts of imaginative changes or iterations to the import ratio... but it would be a shame if that were lost entirely even if the aggregate talent on the rosters were slightly better in the short term.

4 Likes

X2

(I fell afoul of the minimum 10 character rule, hence this unnecessary addendum to my X2 post :woozy_face:).

1 Like

Lol 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 Like

Here we go again. Not a relevant comparison at all.

2 Likes

I always think if you’re going to dis a guy, you should take the time to look up how his name is spelled?

4 Likes

But Palmer , that would suggest some intellectual curiosity . :smile: The loudest mouths seem to lack that gene .

Pat Lynch (the big Palmer fan )

2 Likes

Speaking of Canadian players, RB Chuba Hubbard ran a 4.36 forty at his pro day while LB Amen Ogbongbemiga had 26 reps of 225 on the bench and a 4.66 forty at the same Oklahoma State campus . That's not bad for a 6' 1" 231 linebacker .
They both will probably be mid to late picks in the NFL draft starting April 29 .

Pat Lynch (the old guy )

1 Like

Oh please ! :roll_eyes: Grade 3 boys lineup over here . HfxTc is a solid contributor to this forum .

Pat Lynch (the aged one)

1 Like

Wow! - that is outstanding speed by Hubbard; and I bet it will push him up in NFL draft rankings to first couple of rounds ? (probably be by-passed in the CFL draft like Claypool was last year - little hope these guys ever show up in the CFL)

Other pro day result updates would be appreciated. Read that former Regina Rams RB Kyle Borsa ran a 4.38 forty (former track guy I believe) plus an overall superb set of testing #s (sub 7 second 3 Cone; 10’ plus broad jump, 20+ bench reps) - at his pro day - rare set of #s out of a Canadian college ball RB, and he’s listed at 6-0, 200 so easily pro RB size.

1 Like

The Wokes have landed!

Could be wrong, but I believe Chuba Hubbard's 4.36 is a touch speedier than "Speedy's" best time. i read, somewhere recently, that some, unnamed, CFL scouts don't consider his NFL chances to be that good and that they'd use a CFL pick on him.

1 Like

Almost, but not quite.

You can’t really compare a CIS running back to a NCAA running back. Speed and size may be comparable but that’s it. The Canadian on an NCAA team would face an NCAA defense with bigger, stronger, better coached players that are waiting for the NFL draft. The NCAA players have a much longer season and training 9 months a year.
The CIS running back has only been tackled by Canadians and never really tested.
The CIS running back would likely be trialed on special teams.
It’s been 8 years since a Canadian running back was chosen in the 1st round, that was Coombs.