DeAngelis is Leaving Calgary

:lol: Yeah, and you are obviously a guy who knows very little about football as well as a failed comedian!

DeAngelis has one downside.. I don't think I have ever seen him punt. I'm pretty sure Obie wants one guy to do both.

Maybe he is keeping Ito around to punt and backup at kicker. Who knows..

If that’s the plan, then we end up with probably a better FG kicker, probably a lesser punter, and we give up one non-import spot on the roster, compared to what we had with Setta. And, would that combination be saving any $$$ ? If so, not much.

Sometimes your memory has to push the little things out in order to make room for the big important stuff lol.

Yes kickers are important, but we were not kicker away from being a championship team in any of those years

Wasn’t that Marcel “Dime a Dozen” Desjardins who did that??? I’m sure if DeAngelis is interested in coming east that wouldn’t stop him from considering Hamilton.

Pretty sure it was coaches Marshall and Erdman (sp?).

I would think a guy like DeAngelis would have a value of at least 120,000 then Ito would have to make at least the league minimum of 41,000. Unless they paid Setta more than 160,000 then I guess they are saving but not much I would think.

I really think the main reason Setta got the boot was not because they needed to save money but rather that he wasn’t productive enough last year to warrant being paid that much again. If they end up saving money it’s a bonus but I don’t think that is the main goal.

The only person in all of Ticat football operations that is still the same from when he first tried to come to Hamilton is Bob Young. The owner doesn’t sign or reject players…

It would be completely idiotic for DeAngelis or anyone else to think he holds a grudge.

Good news if it does happen, but I think he's going to try to get into the NFL first, and if it doesn't work out, start knocking on our door or Calgary's door again.

Yup, it was Jerome Erdman in 2005 that told DeAngelis he wasn’t needed.
Next year, Marshall , after another year of Boreham struggling, had open tryouts for kicking and punting and tried Fleming etc. right up until he was fired.

I would be shocked if the Ticats didn't already have DeAngelis locked up, under the table.

I also think that the Cats will try to move up in the draft to get punter Maver, so he can combine with DeAgelis to give us a stronger kicking game.

I think we may be sending Rodriguez in a trade for a top pick in the draft to do that. Why? I think the Cats will also sign Watkins, who will start with Bruce, Stala and McDaniel.

I agree with the first 2 points… i dont know about Watkins though.

Rob Maver, who is likely to be chosen in the first round of the 2010 CFL Draft, is both a placekicker and a punter. As noted, the Ticats would have to trade up to have a chance at Maver as their earliest pick is in the second round (13th overall).

If the Ticats do sign Sandro DeAngelis as their new placekicker or go with import Jeremy Ito in that role and if they decide not to trade up to get Maver in the draft, then their existing second round draft pick could be used to select a punter named Chris Bodnar, who had a 44.0 yard average with the Saskatoon Hilltops in the Canadian Junior Football League in 2009. He also had a 90% field goal accuracy rate (9 of 10) last year but is primarily a punter at this stage of his development.

To have the 1st pick overall we would have to offer Toronto one of our current guys.

Any idea who Toronto would want on our current roster? First overall pick is nice but it’s not worth a franchise player.

Why would the Ticats need the top pick overall to draft a kicker ? With all the NCAA big bodies, there is no way Maver will be drafted in the first round.

It is quite possible that it’s all but official that DeAngelis will be on our roster soon. We may find out for sure about 26 hours after I post this.

I have to wonder what DeAngelis will be paid if he signs here. There would also be the question of who will punt if we get him. DeAngelis punted once last year; it was a 34 yard punt that was returned 11 yards, according to his profile: CFL.ca - Official site of the Canadian Football League

We could draft Maver, but it is true that we’d need to move up in the draft to do so.

When Ito was at Rutgers, he averaged 35.6 yards on 51 punts, according to his profile here: http://www.ticats.ca/roster/show/id/2873

I think that’s sub-par for an import punter. And remember that the reason we brought him in was that our import punter was not at 100%. I have wondered if there are NI punters who could do better.

Interesting. That seems to answer that question.

Forde said that Bodnar was primarily a punter in this article, but improved FG accuracy, in this article: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=303921

And interesting note about Bodnar: He was listed as a QB/punter here:
http://www.hilltops.ca/WebPages/Quarterbacks%20&%20K%20(2008).html

And Maver’s averaged 41.3 yards per punt, according to this: Shaw Communications

There is also an interesting article on Maver here: http://coachzauner.blogspot.com/2009/07 … maver.html

As I mentioned in the “Free Agent Frenzy” (coughs) thread, there is a Dan Toth article from 2005 that goes into the Erdman snub of DeAngelis. It can be read at http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/To … 3-sun.html .

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

I first said on this post back in early January when Sandro said he was going into free agency that the Ti-Cats need to pick up Sandro DeAngles as our new kicker, NO doubt he is the best, a local guy from Niagara Falls should be our new Canadian Kicker in Hamilton, that would be awesome!!

EAT EM RAW TI-CATS, 2010 Is the year of the Cat and our year to win the Grey Cup!!!!

Yes! :rockin:

Obie, on the eve of Free Agency, suggested on CHTV evening sports that they (the TiCats) think Ito can handle the kicking duties and that their special teams' interest in FA's was for a returner.