DB signed and Mahoney released

From the Bombers site:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed import defensive back Andre Jones the team announced today.

Jones (5-11, 180, Akron, DOB: May 25, 1985 in Washington, D.C.) is a very versatile player having started out his collegiate career as a defensive back, before switching to receiver. He played in 47 games – starting 41 – working at both defensive back and wide receiver, compiling 183 tackles, four interceptions, 10 pass knockdowns, seven forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one sack. He also recorded 80 receptions for 1,231 yards with 11 touchdowns, in addition to 36 punt returns for 348 yards and 29 kickoff returns for 586 yards and one touchdown. He attended minicamp with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2010.

The Blue Bombers have also announced that they have released non-import receiver Liam Mahoney.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blue-bombers-sign-import-receiver_

That's too bad about Mahoney. From what I heard, he had a good rookie camp and was looking good at the main camp before he injured his hamstring. I found a pre-draft article in the Gazette that says he's got a year of CIS eligibilty left and he talked about going back to school if he wasn't draft or signed as a FA so perhaps he'll do that now and try again next season.

Just saw today's TC report at the Bombers site and it said that Mahoney was going to be out for 3 weeks with the hamstring.

Also gone are:

Chayce Elliott
CJ James
Tim Brown has retired (that's an odd one).

He's probably retired so he can go home to rehab his foot injury. I'm thinking what's been done is like what the Argos did with Boreham last TC. Once Brown's healthy I would expect him to unretire and the Bombers will still retain his rights.