Dave Ritchie finished in B.C

Return of Chapdelaine will start up Leos' coaching carousel

The Vancouver Province Thu 13 Dec 2007

Lowell Ullrich

There's always a domino effect when putting together a coaching staff in the off season, and the result for the Lions is that two of Wally Buono's former assistants will very likely be back next year.

The exact makeup of the staff won't be anything like last year, yet there's a sameness to the group the Lions coach and general manager seeks to assemble that could result in every member of his inner circle having a connection to the Calgary Stampeders.

That's the CFL team that formally named ex-Lions vice-president Scott Ackles as their president Wednesday.

Changes would start with Jacques Chapdelaine returning as receivers coach and Chuck McMann, who held various Calgary jobs with Buono, signing on as special teams co-ordinator to replace Mike Benevides, who'll take Dave Ritchie's spot as defensive co-ordinator.

And it would continue with Roy Shivers returning to the Lions as personnel director, replacing Hamilton Tiger-Cats general manager Bob O'Billovich.

Some moves will take place quicker than others. Chapdelaine, who was in Vancouver on Wednesday, still has a year left on a contract to serve as associate head coach that was terminated last month by the Edmonton Eskimos.

An announcement concerning Ritchie won't be made by the Lions until O'Billovich determines whether he is a head-coaching option in Hamilton.

Chapdelaine also interviewed recently for the vacant top coaching position with the Montreal Alouettes.

And neither McMann, whose second tour of duty with Calgary was terminated this week,

nor Shivers has received a formal offer yet either, Buono said Wednesday.

But the proposed changes to the administrative structure would bring an end to the position of co-offensive co-ordinator that caused minor angst among players, with Dan Dorazio assuming the role on his own and Steff Kruck returning to quarterbacks coach. "I don't think it's important for me, but it's important for the players," Buono said. There's also a good chance the Lions will add an assistant, despite losing Jamie Barresi, whose tenure as receivers coach will end Jan. 31.

However the key pickup might be Shivers, who said he hasn't watched more than a handful of games since being fired by Saskatchewan in 2006 as general manager but clearly had a hand in assembling this year's Grey Cup champions. Shivers also didn't need to be reminded of his recruiting record during a decade spent in Calgary with Buono. "It wasn't bad, was it?" said Shivers, who has had a few phone discussions with Buono about the personnel vacancy.

Now is not the time for the Tiger Cats
to take chances with the un-battle tested,

let's see if we can entice Dave
from heading out to pasture.

Dave Ritchie for D.C. for now.

You have to think if Richie wants the DC job in Hamilton, it's his. Especially now that he's not under contract to the Lions.

i say we try to get richie...to me richie is like having another head coach on the field..get him and start to focus on other impotant things like.... players

Dave Richie would no doubt be an asset to the team. I'm afraid, though, that everytime I looked at him I would laugh, picturing him falling to his knees as Ozzie split the uprights! :slight_smile:

I remember that one well as I would think he does as well . How sweet it was .

I don't know why he'd want to come here. The talent he had in B.C made him look like Buddy Ryan here the defence we have will make him look like Ed Oneil.

That's why we'll be bringing in more talent...

I'll believe that when I see it.

Very interesting notion particularly if the Cats were to stumble out of the gate then Taafe could or more likely would be replaced (I certainly hope that does not happen)

However, Ritchie's credentials are very good and miles ahead of what we had last year at D.C. If he'll come sign him immediately. I am of the opinion that the talent will be much better next year because of Obie and with more CFL experienced coach our defence will be good to very good, the caveat neing the absolute necessity to sign a couple of shutdown corners/dbs

Very interesting notion particularly if the Cats were to stumble out of the gate then Taafe could or more likely would be replaced (I certainly hope that does not happen)

However, Ritchie's credentials are very good and miles ahead of what we had last year at D.C. If he'll come sign him immediately. I am of the opinion that the talent will be much better next year because of Obie and with more CFL experienced coach our defence will be good to very good, the caveat being the absolute necessity to sign a couple of shutdown corners/dbs

:thup:

Time for some old school D.

And if the hook to bring him here is that he's Charlie's de facto replacement (should it come to that), so be it.

I'm less worried about the D than I am the O anyway. Defenses can be built more quickly, offenses need more time to learn to play together. We have a good LB crew, the line has some talent already but needs a solid DT and consistent play at the ends, and if they can improve the secondary it will do wonders.

Chapdelaine, Richie, 3-15....Depressing.

I could undertand that comment more if we had made any front office changes. They fired Marcel and hired Bob for a reason.

Plus he is very close with his friend Wally Buono. I don't see him making a lateral move.

It's us, Montreal or the armchair, Sportsman.

At his request, Dave Ritchie`s time
with the B.C. Lions is finished.

P.S.

The title Associate Head Coach may be part of Dave`s future
if CFL neophyte, NFLer Mark Trestman signs in Montreal.

His would still have D.C. duties there
or be D.C. here as a favour to Obie,

some say, with the unofficial understanding that
he would be our mid-season replacement Head Coach.

Hmmm, interesting angle ronfromtigertown. Start off as D.C. and if the Ti-Cats stumble early, replace Taffe.

But,
At Richies age, and one Heart operation already, does he really need the stress of being a Head Coach?

Well, it's been reported that Dave Ritchie would like to move closer to his Pittsburgh home and would consider leaving Wally's staff if a head coaching opportunity was presented to him.

Maybe a move to Hamilton as Defensive Coordinator wouldn't be a promotion, but with a bit of a raise from his current wage from his friend Obie, and being closer to Pittsburgh, a move to Hamilton could be in the cards.

Here is to hoping he does!

• paul