their Ottawa football memories.

Cool!

The Daily Gleaner Canada East Online

MARC HUDON Wednesday March 26th, 2008

click here

Braley was wrong about the size
of the planned Moncton Stadium.

'I think Moncton has the same type of challenges
that we have in Ottawa," [Mayor Lorne Mitton] said.

"Part of the challenge in bringing
the CFL to Moncton or Halifax

is building a stadium."

Cohon said he's encouraged by talk of
a new $13-million 10,000-seat stadium

at the Universite de Moncton,

scheduled to be completed
by spring 2009 in time for

the World Junior Track and Field championships.

"But it's not CFL size," he said.
"We need about 25,000 seats."

I hope someday some university will work with
a CFL team to build a stadium they both can share.

Universite de Moncton's proposed stadium
will be about the same size as Mc Master's

I don't know how much land they have around it

but Mc Master squeezed their stadium in on
the same crowded spot their old stadium was on.

with stands only on one side, no less.

Sheesh!

Ron
I hate to say it but Braley is Right .
He wants two teams to come in at Same time.
2012 Is good Target for new Ottawa
2015 or 2020 is Even Better.
Giving us Time to get league up to 10 Teams

Putting a team in Moncton has just about as much chance of succeeding as putting it in Timmins.

1- City population is too small
2- Fan Base is non existent. Mount A 20 minutes away draws 60 to 100 paying fans a game !

3- There will never be a 30k stadium.

Tying Ottawa franchise owners willing to pay 7million for their franchise rights to an expansion in Moncton is laughable.

If a team gets back in Ottawa by 2010, I will be very surprised because of the stadium issue. 2012 seems like a much more realistic goal IMHO.

Two issues here...

Re. Ottawa starting in 2010 or in 2012, I hope it's sooner rather than later, but it will depend on the stadium south side stands rebuild and the rest of the renewal package at Lansdowne Park. The sooner they can get this together, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Re. a 10th team, while the symmetry of having five teams in each Division would be handsome to look at, to me it's unimportant and completely irrelevant to the startup in Ottawa.

We had 9 teams from 1954 when the Lions began, until the Alouettes folded for a few years in the 1980s, and again when Ottawa folded twice. While many people felt it was quaint or quirky that we had nine teams (and horror of horrors two of them with virtually the same names!), nobody thought we should kick one out because they preferred eight. We never did manage to get to ten, so nine it was and nine was fine.

The idea of a Maritimes team is a great one that has been bandied about for decades, but it's wishful thinking. Moncton and Halifax lack stadiums, prospective owners, adequate populations, and money for investment in the CFL. Quebec City is a better bet. Meanwhile, in Ottawa, we have owners with money, and a stadium that needs fixing, not creating from scratch, in a well-heeled market of 1 million+.

What's the league supposed to tell Hunt et al.... hang on to your $7 million, we appreciate your interest but we really don't want it until Moncton gets ready to play... someday... maybe... we hope...?

Let's get Ottawa back in the fold on a sound footing and go from there. If we ever get to 10 teams, wonderful. If not, that's ok too. For those who dream of getting to 12 teams some day, in London, Saskatoon, Victoria, Sudbury, Windsor or elsewhere, keep enjoying the dream.

I agree steve. Also, I think the CFL should stop saying any stadium has to be 25,000 minimum. Why not do a 20,000 minimum like the MLS is doing, makes it a bit more realistic to begin with for places thinking about a CFL team.

PEPS stadium in Quebec City has a seating capacity of 18 500.

With standing room, they could probably get the capacity up to the same as in Montreal.

Put a team in Quebec City, and if they succeed they can expand their stadium over time, just like in Montreal.

Yes but Montreal's stadium is way too small also and it looks like a dump.

Can't someone find a millionaire/CFL fan to finance a stadium/team in Halifax?

There are lots of big-shots with cash in Canada.

Surely one of them likes Canadian football to the point where he can build a stadium with his own coin.

Nope.

Yes there are people with money in Canada. But they want to keep it and increase it, that's how they got wealthy to begin with. The CFL is a gate-driven league, it does not generate the revenues required to make a profit for someone after they invest many millions in a stadium. It's tough enough for the Bob Young's of the league to make a good return even without the cost of a stadium factored in.

No one loves the CFL enough to take the certain, large financial bath on it that building a stadium would entail. Especially not in small market communities where opportunities for other revenues are modest at best.

And that steve is the reason why people say the CFL will eventually fail, there isn't any growth potential. I hope that isn't the case. But then I read the Roughriders this year made some $10 mill and the Grey Cup organizers some $5 mill.

As long as Moncton keeps all of its permanent seats on one side of the stadium, like in this early conceptual drawing of the Universite Moncton stadium:

This drawing depicts about 5,000 permanent seats on the one side and temporary seating everywhere else. The number of permanent seats has since been raised to 8,500 I believe. Lets hope they kept all those new seats on the one side, because if so, it looks to be easily expandable. One of my roomates is from Moncton and he tells me that the university is kind of out away from the city, so I bet crowding wouldn't be a problem regarding expansion.

He figures the next one should be in Moncton, N.B.
Moncton! WooHoo Gotta love this guy. But I don't think we can ask Ottawa to wait. A successful launch in Ottawa can only help speed things up in Moncton, Halifax, Quebec City, London where ever.
Universite de Moncton's proposed stadium will be about the same size as Mc Master's

I don't know how much land they have around it

I've been told by city officials that the staduim is designed to be expandable.
Putting a team in Moncton has just about as much chance of succeeding as putting it in Timmins.

1- City population is too small
2- Fan Base is non existent. Mount A 20 minutes away draws 60 to 100 paying fans a game !

3- There will never be a 30k stadium.

While you seem to prefer Halifax as a location, and that would be cool with me too, I can't agree with your opinions on Moncton being a bad choice. Moncton is very centrally located and could draw from Saint John, Fredericton, Miramichi, Truro, Charlottetown etc. (all within a 90 minute drive, we would even accept the odd visitor from Halifax) CFL season tickets are quite inexpensive and Maritimers tend to like events that have beer for sale. :lol: Maybe the folks from Halifax could make a weekend of it and catch The Eagles or Stones concert and then a CFL game the next night :wink:
Can't someone find a millionaire/CFL fan to finance a stadium/team in Halifax?
The Irvings would fit the bill nicely and run a great QJMHL franchise. There are a few others around.
One of my roomates is from Moncton and he tells me that the university is kind of out away from the city, so I bet crowding wouldn't be a problem regarding expansion.
It's right in town, but there seems to be lots of room on 2 or 3 sides. Maybe if the snow ever melts we can take a picture.

Oh well, we can dream. It would be so cool to take my Dad to a game in Atlantic Canada while he’s still able to get around a bit.

I have to agree with the thinking that Ottawa should be in the CFL sooner rather than any alternative. If Braley wants to wait for Atlantic Canada to field a team then he should be prepared for a long wait, although it would be nice to stretch the league from coast to coast and balance the league with an even number of teams.
I believe if the CFL wants to promote expansion in Canada then they have to take baby steps, one team at a time and ensure that the owners, the facility and the fan base are all in place and going to be a permanent fixture in the league for many years to come. I know that there are no guarantees in professional sports but if the league does a thorough job of their homework and the application of all the details then expansion could be a real possibility however it will take longer than many people will want to wait.
Perhaps David Braley would dump the Lions and start a franchise on the East Coast.

Us common folk can dream of
a CFL team in the Maritimes,

businessmen get their pencils out.

Sadly, they always comes up with same numbers.

You need 25,000 butts in the seats
every game just to break even

if most tickets cost between $40 and $50.

It is engrained in business people's minds

to NOT get into a business that
is guaranteed TO LOSE MONEY,

no matter how deep their pockets are.

Baldy said

I know that there are no guarantees in professional sports

but if the league does a thorough job
of their homework and the application

of all the details then expansion
could be a real possibility

however it will take longer than
many people will want to wait.

Perhaps David Braley would dump the Lions
and start a franchise on the East Coast.

Now that would be one of the best guarantees
that the CFL board of Governors could have, Baldy!

Braley has said he is open to offers for the Lions.

New owners would have a much better chance
of succeeding with an existing franchise in Vancouver,

than they would buying an expansion team
in the sparsely populated Maritimes.

dmont puts up a good a great graphic for the stadium in Moncton, along with obvious room for expansion. I

It would be great to see a team in Moncton, but at the moment, the greatest consideration needs to be given to the prospective owners of a revitalized Ottawa franchise and updating of Landsdown Park.

The league owes it to Hunt and company to respect THEIR wishes, particularly since these are the people who are coming forward with financial help.

I have never been there so I can't say, but I have heard that people like the atmosphere and sitelines.

The idea is to find a place that has a stadium already and then expand from there - if/when the team makes money. This would be a better option than investing money in a new stadium in a city that may or may not support the CFL.

As far as I know, PEPS stadium is the largest football stadium in Canada that does not have a CFL team (other than Ottawa.)