Danny Creehan.....

Some big decisions for Obie to make at the end of the season. Not only Creehan but what about Dan and Marcel and then Obie needs to find us some powerhouse linemen. Obie will earn his pay next season but we have some very good players to start next year.

I have to agree that I think alot of the defenses problems can be attributed to poor coaching. Just like last week, our defense failed to stop the opposition from marching up the field. Last week....it was Brady handing off just to eat up the clock. Brady hasn't thrown a pass ALL SEASON....so the odds that he would start at that point in the game was inconceivable. And so...hand off after hand off the Als marched up the field....just like in today's game. BRUTAL. At some point....blitz or at least line up like you're going to blitz. Instead, Hamilton's defense is so predictable that opponents can march at will.

The only bright spot for today's defense was the four interceptions, and they were the results of good individual efforts by Ticat defensive backs and poor passes by 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Quite a few of those interceptions either stopped touchdowns or stopped long marches that were leading to TDs. If it were not for these interceptions, the game would have been a blowout. The interceptions had nothing to do with good coaching by Creehan. His defensive scheme's or lack thereof, did nothing to stop or even slow down an anemic Roughrider offense. Creehan has to go. The sooner the better.

Realistically, the defence kept the Cats in the game.

The interceptions kept them in the game. Like I said, solid individual efforts by a few ticats and bad passes by 2nd and 3rd string QBs kept them in the game. I would have hated to see what would have happened if SASK had put Bishop into the game..

I am not of fan of Danny Creehan`s defense.

I hope Obie gets Stubler for DC next year. How many Qb draws did Sask. have for big gains. Why Creehan couldnt recognized that they should have plugged a Middle linebacker in there at times to stuff the draw?? The Dbs are looking very solid. That is a bright spot for us, but unfortunately that is the fourth, maybe fifth time this year when the Cats had the lead, late in the 4th quarter and the defense could not make the defensive stand. I believe Creehan`s coaching has a lot to do with those losses.

So many posters seem to be convinced that the QB runs up the middle
were completely a result of horrible tactical decisions by Denny Creechan.

I don't know how you can be absolutely sure that some player
didn't get caught out of position because he was freelancing

and wasn't covering the QB he was assigned to cover.

The Head Coach and Obie will decide who is on staff here next year

I don't pretend to know whether Denny is the best choice or not.

As always, the universe will unfold as it wishes

P.S.

Stubler likes to build his defence around veterans.

If Stubler came here, could he change his mindset
enough to work with our core of young players?

Glen Suitor even commented on the 'head-scratching' nature of why Creehan wasn't assigning one of the LBs as a QB spy after the hundredth time Jyles scampered up the middle for a 9+ yard gain. Zero ability make adjustments, zero ability to fool opponents with his schemes. His players are talented and make plays based on that talent, but their coach consistently lets them down.

Ronfromtigertown: Once, maybe twice, I could buy that someone was caught freelancing. When it happens over and over again, it's a scheme problem. And even the freelancing possibility points to a larger issue: Obie. Who traded Moreno for a sack of hammers? Who let JoJuan Armour walk in free agency because he thought (snicker) Ray Mariuz could do the job at OLB?

Yeah he Has screwed us once agian there qb ran all over us and you still don’t put a spy in place ? My high school coach make better ajustment ? (BTW IT FORMER Cats DT John Macdonald)

And if a defensive player is freelancing the defensive co-ordinator would need to sit him on his butt.
Creehan is awful and WILL-NOT-BE-BACK
Why Anthony is getting minutes ahead of Cameron S at LB is beyond me.
Lets give the rookie some heavy minutes to see what he has.

The defensive line not only does not rush the passer well, or play the run well. It also does not contain well.
That at this point is coaching. That play that Sask ran where the QB pitched it outside for a wide open TD almost caused me to lose my lunch. So the middle is open for QB draws, the outside is open from lack of containment, and there is no rush on the QB....wow pretty impressive group!!!

Leaving with a positive, Tre Smith is a beast...love his heart and motor!!!

If it wasn’t O’Billovich that hired them, then why did he say (when he promoted M.B after firing Charlie) that “we” hired assistants who would be able to step in and take over as HC if needed??

RFTT, if a player is “freelancing” as often as we are getting run over, he should be shown the bench or the door. Still Creehan’s fault if he’s not recognizing the culprit and addressing the issue.

I agree. Creechan should have adjusted the linbackers to take away the QB run up the middle. Having said that, the D is not far off from being great. If they aquire a DE pash rusher and a run stopper up the middle - someone to replace Marius. This team could make some serious noise with Stubler beind the defensive helm.

Onknight wrote: No it was not obie hire both the OC and DC Charile was told you have to take who I like.. if you want to stay ..

If it wasn’t O’Billovich that hired them, then why did he say (when he promoted M.B after firing Charlie) that “we” hired assistants who would be able to step in and take over as HC if needed??

I think I can translate. Tom’s missing a comma (or period, or dash) in the first line. Let it read- “No, it was not” (in reply to the previous poster). Obie hired both the OC and DC." You two are actually in agreement.

He is a poor excuse for a DC. I would like to see what Rich Stubler could do with the D next year, if that is possible.

Ron,

I don`t buy this " the universe will unfold as it wishes" stuff.

The Cats organization will make the appropriate decisions. I believe Creehan will be gone next season. I can see the Cats losing a couple close ones, but I believe they have lost 4 or 5 games coming down to the last few minutes in the fourth quarter with a lead. The Cats defense did not play bad yesterday. The dbs were great, but the final defensive stand cost us again. How many times did Jyles run straight up the gut. The DC should be able to recognize that after being burned several times. I really dont see Creehan`s defense being agressive enough.

If you dont have a rush end who can put pressure on the QB it doesnt matter who your DC is !!!!

This was a win for the Cats, except for two Sask. touchdowns that never should have happened. The culprit was Lawrence Gordon who was beat badly for one and on the second had a pass interference called on him resulting in a Sask. td the next play. Is this a problem with the coaching or is Gordon just plain bad?
I am not a fan of Creehan but when guys play like that it makes me wonder if he is getting 100% out of some players.

That is true, we do need a rush end, but I can`t believe how many times we got burned in the middle, you would think after 4 or 5 times that Creehan would make sure there was a MLB plugging up the middle, guarding against the QB draw. This cost us big time in the Riders final drive.

Gordon is a good player. He is in the right spot, has been with the team for a couple years, and is still around 23 years old. Get him to have the knack of the ball and he will be a great player. Only now are we finally getting continuity in the defensive backfield and I think we should keep it that way.

Not to go off-topic here, but I am the only one that is mildly irritated by the fact that the man's name is incorrect in the subject of this thread and also numerous times within the thread?

Denny Creehan, not Danny.

;)
  • paul