Danny Barrett

I think Tillman made a huge mistake by letting Barrett go. I also completely dislike Tillman in general. He just seems like a two-faced guy. The really nice guy who says nothing but good things about someone until they turn their back. I also think he needs a new haircut.

First mistake was letting Shivers go. The man built this team into a contender, like it or not. They make the playoffs consistently, they just have some bad luck in the Western Final. But look at Al Ford, he got to the Grey Cup in 97 after a grey cup win, and some really bad records. The team he inherited won the Grey Cup, not a team he built. Yet, they kept him around for ten years. Shivers made Saskatchewan a contender, Barrett made Saskatchewan a contender.

I am hesitant to say that I won't continue as a Rider fan but I might take a hiatus depending on who coaches the team. If I don't like the staff/product at a record store, I wouldn't go and as much as I love the Riders, I don't support people I don't believe are good people.

Plus I think this new team is going to turn into Ottawa and Winnipeg in 2005 combined. Minus Armstrong because he realizes the ship is sinking. I do like Joseph though, and the defense. So as long as most of that stays I might keep watching.

Best of luck to Danny.

Danny and Roy did make progress but if it took them 7 years to produce a consistent 3rd and 4th ranking team in the west something is still wrong. Hopefully tillman chooses his new staff wisely and we dont have to go through the unbearable re-building stages (seems all too familiar) Who knows mabey Danny B will pull a Paul McCallum as soon as hes gone he'll win the ship with another team. And about Tillman being two faced he does seem a little weasley (could just be the hair) But in the end i think it was definately time for a change bring in someone like a george cortez or dave ritchie get some discipline in our players and make them better then 3rd and 4th place contenders

No one can deny what Danny and Roy have done for the Riders, but you also cannot deny what they haven't done. A consistant 500 team is mediocre, and myself and other fans will not accept mediacracy from a team who is better than that.

It was one thing cheering for a team that you knew sucked, like all of the 90's, but when you cannot produce a winning record nor a grey cup from a team that is more than capable, it is not acceptable, year after year after year. This is why Danny is gone.

It is sad to see Danny go, but it is time to say god bye.

Thanks for being a class guy Danny.

Tillman is two faced Bradey? Who are you Roy Shivers. Roy is a guy who came in and said we would have winning records and home play off games. That is saying one thing and doing another. I agree with Cujo, 7 years is too long to wait and hope while every other team in the CFL win grey cups. Yes Shivers and Barrett have done better than their predecessors, but come on, you have a team of lions on that field led by a sheep. I would have more hope with the opposite.

Good luck Danny, it has been good, wish it were great.

Come on guys, these are the riders. Dont' start saying you'll jump off the wagon just because there is a change. I love the riders through and through, and I know you all do as well. Danny is an awesome guy, who did a really good job while he was here, but change is good. When it comes down to it, we have the players we just need the leadership. That comes from 2 people, who ever this new coach will be and our Quarterback. IF anything, i think we all know KJ needs some work, and should lead this team, and his first step is hitting receivers where they can catch the ball. So keep lovin the riders cause we don't want to fold like ottawa. And hope to god we get a leader of a quarterback on the field that inspires the rest of the team to play there best, and a coach whose not afraid to bench a 350k/year qb. 2007 Grey cup champs....Sask Roughriders, Never forget to dream.

No doubting the class of Danny Barrett, and good luck in the future.

However, this was a decision based on the needs of the organization. Seven years of mediocre performance came back to cost him his job. A lot of good players have come through Sasakatchewan in the past few years, and nothing to show for it other than another 'maybe next year'.

I will still cheer for the Riders, but without Shivers and Barrett I have lower expectations. Those 2 guys made a great team and were the best we had in years.

I wouldn’t say Barrett did bad to have some years of struggling. I blame the fact that Burris left the team 2 times over that period and royally screwed the team over. If Burris would have stayed we would have gotten a home playoff berth within the next few years.

He didn’t stay, and it cost the GM and coach their job, because they had tried to give the fans a team built around the QB most the fans wanted

57 - 68 - 1 46% winning record says it all
good luck in the future Danny this was the first stop in your head coaching career

Danny Barrett is a class act and will surface again for sure! You're right,46% says it all. From all indications it looks like you guys will end up with Dave Ritchie. He's a very good coach and you guys could certainly do alot worse! A huge advantage Ritchie has over Kent Austin is head coaching experience and the only minus against Ritchie is his health,which from all indications,is okay. Bringing Austin in will result in some rookie growing pains but then again Berry did pretty good in his rookie season so you never know! Either way,good luck riders!

i love that guy both him an the shiv. and for me it was sad to see thoughs guys leave. bothe where great football guys and brought pride back into the riders a long with $$ and dont let me forget the ecceptonal talent the where able to bring in. and tillman thinks he can just throw all that away screw him i wont be suprised if we are looking for new gm and head coach by the end of the season if not sooner.

I hate Danny has Fun in Buffalo..
Go UB Bulls

i think tillman is making a mistake by wasting salary money for how many recievers when we need a good rb and now that morgan and bush is gone he needs to fill those whole with a big name db without df were shit

I believe the reason Shivers was let go is because had created a series of (for lack of a better term) confrontational incidents. Shivers did bring some talent into the club, but lets face reality that is his job.

Everybody says the talent was here but we just couldnt get it done. I saw most of the home games last season and a lot of our play was very weak at times. Some of The boys may have lost a step over time.

Maybe the coaching, but I liked Danny I think we definately could have used Danny on the Sidelines somewhere.

You cant just demote your HC to say your OC. Because immediately there would be issues of power....

If you are going to take your HC's job away, then you have to fire him... Cant just demote him.

Hum, let see there were 16 receivers at training camp last year, right now there are 12 receivers on the roster. How is that wasting money?

Plus I happen to think that over the past number of years that our receiving core has been one of our weak points. How often have we had more than one receiving threat? Yes the QB has some role to play, but so did a lot of bad routes and dropped balls. There are some CFL teams that you just know who their recievers are because of the threat they bring. THe Riders have not been one of those teams.

WOW.. keeping Shivers would have surely destroyed this team! we'd be 3-15 in 2007 if he had stayed!

YOU need to make changes. and these were good changes.

I can't wait to see you near the end of the year if the Riders are kicking butt!

. . . Good Point . . .

the guy above me said . . .

"WOW.. keeping Shivers would have surely destroyed this team! we'd be 3-15 in 2007 if he had stayed! "

. . . Another Good Point . . .

There are some CFL teams that you just know who their recievers are because of the threat they bring. THe Riders have not been one of those teams.
great point leeing!! i have felt the same way and i'm glad that we are finally taking the right steps to correct our lack of production from our recieving core as a whole.

face it folks the riders are going to have a new style next season. so don't be quick to say it's a mistake. if everything was so great
before then we wouldn't have finished 9-9.

lets all give change a chance!!

great point leeing!! i have felt the same way and i'm glad that we are finally taking the right steps to correct our lack of production from our recieving core as a whole.

face it folks the riders are going to have a new style next season. so don't be quick to say it's a mistake. if everything was so great
before then we wouldn't have finished 9-9.

lets all give change a chance!!

Hear, Hear!

The old regime wasn't working, its time for a fresh start. It's time to win a Grey Cup.

Its been time for awhile lol