Dane Evans is keeping busy: Coaching offence at the University of North Texas

1 Like

"If you do testing and limit seating, there's no reason why you can't have a season ". There, fixed it for you Randy.

Which has what to do with Dane Evans coaching in Texas?

1 Like

It's a quote from Dane in the article.

I think Dane is on to something here....

The league can definitely lobby the provinces and feds re relaxing outdoor gathering rules. It’s quite likely those discussions took place when trying to salvage 2020. I would say that is going to be a tough sell at the moment.

Hopefully by early spring the worst of the second wave will have passed and there may be some consideration to socially distanced seating at sporting events for the summer. All wear masks, limited or no concessions, controlled entry and exits, washroom lineups etc.

Take cues from what has worked/ not worked in the NFL with limited fans and apply it and we should be able to make something work. But ultimately public health authorities have to sign off on this. All the league can do is give a gentle push.

2 Likes

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see if Dane advocates the obvious follow-on solution. CFL players foregoing a salary, just like NCAA players do, would certainly make it more financially viable to play in front of sparse crowds.

2 Likes

I can't see any situation where professional athletes will play professional football for no salary. These are grown-ass men with grown-ass responsibilities. To suggest they play for nothing is...questionable...?

I would rather take my cues from Australia, New Zealand, most of SE Asia, and Germany over any cues from our southern neighbour. Those countries have virtually eliminated infections and are pretty much back to normal. The US has more ACTIVE cases right now than the TOTAL number of cases up here.
Getting back to live sports with fans in the stands - even on a limited capacity - will be a result of our society doing what it needs to do in order to beat this pandemic. It seems like athletes and staff are testing positive all through the NFL on an almost-daily basis. The NBA and NHL had, IIRC, zero issues in their bubbles.

1 Like

But those countries all had their sports leagues playing.

Which is precisely the fact that I was pointing out. Without drastically curbing the infection rate, fans will not be allowed into the stands of ANY game in ANY league. I thought that would be blazingly obvious, but...

1 Like

I wonder how Clemson Tigers and Trevor Lawrence factor into Dane’s assessment. But, full disclosure, I am not aware of Dane’s major in University or if his studies included any medicine or epidemiology?

Agreed. My post was for the benefit of our friend who seems to believe that the CFL can and should replicate any and all other leagues, amateur or pro, big or small.

1 Like

So your suggesting that all these leagues that played were misguided or had acceptable conditions and the CFL was did not have those same advantages as Cornhole, Pro rodeo and disc golf?

While I hate to put words in other people's mouths - "yes" is the answer to your question.

I don’t feel like explaining this to you for the 100th time. But I do wish you would stop saying “Cornhole”.

1 Like

I see that the NBA and the NHL are preparing for a season beginning around Christmas time . The bubbles were very successful but I haven't read any reference to bubbles for their season openings .
It appears that Covid will still be with us into the new year . If the NBA and NHL follow the MLB model , then do the Raptors and all Cdn. NHL teams relocate to the US in order to play ? Lots of questions to be answered.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

I think that there has been talk of having a Canadian division in the NHL with no inter-divisional play.

1 Like

Do I detect a reader of James Dickey's most famous novel?

Sorry, no - I had to look it up. But that scene from Deliverance is burned into my mind.

2 Likes