Dan now part of the Ticats plan

From Drew Edwards,

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

[b]
“If Dan wants to go out there, run and around and take some of those hard shots, heck, more power to him,? Burris said. “I don't mind one bit.?

Burris was, as usual, smiling when he said this. But he also insists – straight faced this time - that he isn't bothered by the prospect of LeFevour seeing more playing time, something that started in the win over Edmonton.

The 26-year-old LeFevour took nine snaps against the Eskimos, running a predetermined package of plays. This wasn't Burris getting benched, says head coach Kent Austin, but a new wrinkle in the Ticats' offensive game plan.

“It was to take advantage to a skill set that is different than Henry's and something that the defence wasn't prepared for,? Austin said. “To change things up and give us production to help keep the offence on the field with a little curveball.?

It worked. LeFevour ran five times for 52 yards – including a 26-yarder – while completing two passes for another 18. While there have always been dual threat quarterbacks in the CFL – including Burris – LeFevour seems even better suited to the game than most.

“I believe that he has the attributes and the skills [to be a starting quarterback] but so much of that has to be proven under pressure in real games,? Austin said. “I think he's got a bright future.?

Just where that future will play out, however, remains to be seen. The Ottawa franchise is set to begin play next season and LeFevour's name is likely on the RedBlacks board of potential expansion draft candidates, along with other back ups like Toronto's Zach Collaros, Calgary's Bo Levi Mitchell and Saskatchewan's Drew Wily. Teams can protect only one quarterback.

[u]Meanwhile, Burris is a free agent after this season and will be 39 years old when 2014 begins but says he wants to play a few more seasons.

“We'll get something worked out. Hamilton has done a lot for me and I'm a Ticat. This is where I want to be,? Burris said. “I have a contract and I'm just enjoying playing the game because I don't know how many more years I have left.?[/u]

Austin won't discuss the team's strategy on the expansion draft – teams may protect one quarterback, ten additional import players as well as six non-imports – but says LeFevour's playing time won't be determined by the looming arrival of he RedBlacks.

“It does two things: it helps our offence and it gets him needed playing time to help develop him and gain confidence. It also helps us evaluate if we need to expand his role,? Austin said. “It kills a lot of birds with the same stone.?[/b]

I would love Hank to sign a 2+1 contract! :rockin:

I just think that Dan Le Favor brings another dimension to the Tiger-Cats offense and should be used on certain plays and short yardage situations. Henry Burris is our our starter without a doubt and No one is suggesting taking that away from him because he is so darn consistent to begin with but on certain designed plays I think Dan adds some depth and should be given the playing time? Also in games that we have a comfortable lead, when we get to that point I would like to see our other back up QB's given the opportunity for playing time to gain valuable game experience?