Dan Hawkins to be announced as new HC

Herb Zurkowsky ?@HerbZurkowsky1

A source has told me Dan Hawkins will be named #Als’ new head coach. Mike Miller will be his offensive co-ordinator

Good choice. Hawkins will be happy trying the Canadian Experience and he brings a smart young coordinator with him. I likes it a lot.

I can live with that. ..

Just hope they move Thorpe and we get Mark Nelson or Gary Etcheverry for D/C.

Will be interesting to see how they fill the rest of the positions. Both of these guys have a good circle of “friends”.

I agree with you. I would move Thorpe to STC. Nelson would be my choice. Etch has as a history of having a hard time getting along with people.

First of all good on Herb for getting the scoop.

I will have to be sold on Hawkins, but will keep an open, positive mind.

Mike Miller excellent choice as offensive co-ordinator. He didn`t have the best QBs working with him in Arizona last year. He also has experience working with receivers.

But please, please, let`s not have these guys running back to the States next off-season. Hope Mr. Wettenhall and Paul Harris have put in some iron-tight clauses to that effect.

Now time to speculate on the other assistants.

So do I, truth be told.

That said, even if he is difficult, he sure runs wild and wacky sets on defence, which I find a treat to watch from an entertainment perspective. But yes, I’d have Nelson as first choice.

J'aime ce choix mais j'attendrai avant de m'enthousiasmer. Hawkins n'a pas d'expérience dans la LCF, et je peux être à l'aise avec ça. Par contre, il aurait été préférable que le coordonnateur à l'attaque ait de l'expérience dans la LCF, ce qui n'est pas le cas de Miller.

Au moins, Thorpe a l'expérience de la LCF jusqu'à un certain point et je suis confiant qu'il pourra faire un bon travail. Il est reconnu pour être un excellent pédagogue, être structuré et organisé dans son travail et ne pas ménager ses efforts.

C'est certain que Jim Popp est un meilleur recruteur qu'Adam Rita, mais j'ai toujours l'épisode Bart Andrus qui me trotte derrière la tête. Nous verrons qui viendra compléter ces deux gars, mais j'espère qu'il y aura assez de monde qui connaît bien la LCF pour qu'ils ne commettent pas la bêtise de croire qu'ils vont débarquer ici et marcher sur le reste de la ligue.

If so,good choices; recently, Hawkins was my preference and I also hoped that Mike Miller would be hired.

Why should Noel Thorpe be removed from Defensive Coordinator? Why should someone from the outside do a better job? He is Canadian and leaves in Montreal. He has plenty of CFL experience. I hope that he remains the DC and will be surprised if he is demoted. Would be a huge mistake. He has been quiet in the past month/weeks and done his work; I am positive that he had a key role in the release of Rod Davis. It will be a 4-3 defence.

I would see Doug Berry as Offensive Line Coach. Mark Nelson could be Special Teams Coach. Amongst these 2 persons, I say that Doug Berry has the best chance to be hired.

Richard

Richard I know you’re a fan of Thorpe’s, well I’m equally a fan of Mark Nelson and Gary Etcheverry.

Why would I make the move? Because I like Nelson/Etcheverry more than Thorpe, they both have D/C experience in the CFL and Thorpe doesn’t, and finally because if Thorpe is the one behind keeping Osaisai and telling Jerald Brown to take a paycut then I question his talent evaluation.

MadJack, I too question who is the one evaluating Osaisai along with DesLauriers.

Now that a HC and OC have been finalized, hopefully their input will come into play as to who stays and who goes.

Rien ne permet de croire que c’est Thorpe qui est à l’origine de cette phrase, si tant il est qu’elle ait été effectivement dite.

Thorpe ne négocie pas les contrats avec les joueurs ou leurs agents. C’est Popp et peut-être Abrams qui le font. Plus réalistement, ce que Thorpe aurait peut-être dit (à Popp ou Abrams), c’est que si Brown n’acceptait pas et que l’équipe se départissait de lui, il pourrait composer avec Gainey et Osaisai.

Pour ma part, je vois dans cette tentative une façon pour Popp de voir s’il pourrait avoir assez de marge de manoeuvre pour garder à la fois Byron Parker et Dwight Anderson. Si Brown mord à l’hameçon, il peut peut-être tenter de garder les deux autres. Dans le cas inverse, il n’en a pas les moyens et se trouve fixé pour son magasinage de demain.

You could very well be right LeStaf. That's why I put "if" in italics.

Totalement en accord avec ton analyse/raisonnement,LeStaf.

Je comprends mal le "fuss" concernant Osaisai. Il sera évalué au camp d'entrainement et les entraineurs décideront s'il demeure un membre des Alouettes. Ce n'est pas Thorpe qui a dit à Brown de prendre une baisse de salaire. Il a évalué les joueurs défensifs des Alouettes et des autres équipes et présenté son rapport à Jim Popp. Tout le monde s'accorde à dire que Brown n'est plus le joueur de 2010. Je ne serais aucunement surpris s'il n'est pas de l'équipe,en 2013. L'évaluation d'Anderson par Thorpe va déterminer/jouera un rôle important dans la signature ou non d"Anderson.

Richard

No question Richard but that Jerald Brown took a step backwards last season.

But that's still light years better than Osaisai.

Osaisai is a Stanford grad, apparently a very intelligent guy, probably a good teammate, has good speed, and a low salary.

But he is not an instinctive football player.

My one area of concern on the team (aside from returner) remains the defensive backfield. Will Popp surprise us tomorrow with a signing?

When Thorpe was hired there was a HC with five years tenure, that is no longer the case and frankly there is no one out there to fix special teams. For me Its not so much taking away from him as creating a situation where we can have experience in both spots DC and STC.

Every single guy on defense took a step back with the exception of Emry who had a terrible 2011 with injury and inconsistent play. So I would not hold that against Brown.

J’avais remarqué le “if”. :wink:

Je voulais simplement partager ma vision de la situation, notamment le fait qu’il est difficile dans les circonstances d’avoir une quelconque certitude relativement à l’affirmation qu’Osaisai et Gainey se seraient améliorés.

Cela dit, je trouverais dommage que les Alouettes s’embarassent de garder Osaisai, un joueur qui ne livre pas la marchandise au lieu de prospecter pour trouver un autre joueur qui aurait de meilleures qualités. Il me semble clair qu’Osaisai ne devrait pas se tailler un poste avec l’équipe cette saison. Alors pourquoi encombrer l’alignement de sa présence? Pour ma part, j’ai mieux aimé le jeu de Carter que celui d’Osaisai.

Welcome to Montreal Dan and Mike. Got my 2013 grey cup ticket reserved. Hope to see ya in Regina.

'This ain't inter-murals!!! This is division I Canadian Football !!!!!!' :cowboy:

…Just watched a clip of him on that ‘inter-murals’ comment…or should i say rant :lol: This guy is as far removed from Trestman as you could get…Who knows what he’ll bring to the CFL…long as it’s not his qb. son…(see Feterick in Cal.) Good luck …I hope he works out for you guys. :wink:

Almost everything you can find on the Internet on Hawkins is negative. And just like us I`m sure Alouette players are also googling.

So the key for Hawkins is to make a good impression in his first meeting with players, whether its mini-camp or training camp. You dont want them to walk away rolling their eyes.

You only get one shot at making a first impression.