**Damon Allen going in Guiness Book of Records?

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/News/2006/02/23/1459428-cp.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 28-cp.html[/url]

When Toronto Argonauts quarterback Damon Allen finally does retire, his father, Harold, plans to give the Guiness Book of Records a call.

That's because when the 21-year CFL veteran does call it quits, his next stop will be the Canadian Pro Football Hall of Fame, meaning the Allen family will have two Hall of Famers.

Marcus Allen was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2000 - by his father - following an illustrious 16-year NFL career as a running back with the Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs.

"My wife and will have the only family in the world with two sons in the Hall of Fame when he (Damon) goes in," Harold Allen said Thursday. "We're going to make sure they that in the Guiness World Book of Records."

Damon Allen, his older brother Marcus and their father were in Toronto on Thursday, serving as the keynote speakers at the CFL's coach of the year luncheon.

But Harold Allen might have to put his plans on hold because Damon Allen, 42, is showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon. He threw for a career-high 5,082 yards in 2005 en route to being named the league's outstanding player. The year before, Allen was named the MVP of Toronto's 27-19 Grey Cup win over the B.C. Lions in Ottawa, a game that Marcus Allen attended with a lot of the Allen clan.

"When I saw my brother hold up that (Grey Cup) in the air, I started to cry," Marcus Allen said. "I know his story, how he had to follow in my footsteps but he transcended that to become an incredible man, father and husband.

"I'm just so proud of him."

Damon Allen heads into the 2006 season needing less than 1,300 yards to surpass former CFL star Warren Moon (70,533 yards) as the leading passer in pro football history.

But Marcus Allen, who turns 46 on March 26, believes his brother's accomplishments certainly merit consideration for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Moon, who spent the first five years of his pro career with the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos, will be inducted into the American shrine this summer.

"It is my hope one day that my dad can introduce a second son into the Pro Football Hall of Fame," Marcus Allen said. "Whether it's CFL or NFL, it's pro football that it's all about, which says a great deal."

Both Marcus and Damon credit their father for their athletic success. They said not only did Harold Allen, 72, encourage all six of his kids - five sons, one daughter - to play sports, but often stepped forward and coached them as youngsters.

"We were fortunate because we had a dad who was always present when we started playing sports," Marcus Allen said. "We had to look no further than the dinner table to find a mentor."

But the elder Allen said athletics wasn't the most important aspect of his childrens' lives.

"There was never a dull moment in the Allen household," Harold Allen said. "But before they stepped on the field, they had to hit the books.

"That (education) was very important to me."

Another key, Harold Allen said, was never playing favourites among his children. And Damon Allen said he often had the bruises to show for it.

"We were a baseball family and having him as a coach, my dad used to use us an examples of what to do," Damon Allen recollected. "One day he had me show how to receive ground balls and he told me to get rid of my glove.

"He didn't want me to be scared of the ball, so he started hitting grounds balls to me while I was bare-handed and the ball was going off my arms and my chest and it hurt a lot but I'd be holding back the tears and he'd be telling the players, 'That's how you do it."'

The Allens' touching recollections of growing up in California resulted in a standing ovation from the crowd of roughly 500 people at the Royal York hotel afterwards. It also drew public praise from Don Matthews, the Montreal Alouettes head coach who is the winningest coach in CFL history.

"As a parent, what I witnessed today was remarkable," Mathews said.

excellect, a CFL player in the book of world records, shows you have far the league has gone in the last ten years.

Harold Allen raises a good point, especially since Damon passing Warren Moon’s record is a slam-dunk as long as he stays healthy. It’s such a good point, in fact, that Pinball should also be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as well…he currently holds the Pro Football record for All Purpose yards at over 25,000.
How about it, Canton, Ohio? When will it be time to put Pinball Clemons in that Hall of Fame of yours? You can’t tell us he doesn’t deserve it!

They should simply rename it the 'NFL' Hall of fame and then construct a new building for an all encompassing 'PRO' football hall of fame.

if u build a NFL hall of fame, and a CFL hall of fame AND a PRO hall of fame, then it deminishes the CFL hall, cuz they will want in the PRO.....and the PRO wont seem as good as the NFL.....

so keep it as it is, with adding damon allen to the pro....u gotta be the ALL-TIME something, before u can make the pro-hall, and have played in the CFL....anyone else can go to the CFL hall.

Rob the TiCat and drumming god: I suspect that to the people running the Pro Football Hall of Fame only recognize the NFL anyway. I believe, in their minds, that changing the name from "Pro" to "NFL" Hall of Fame would mean nothing to them. It would still be the same place.
While I agree that a "Pro" HoF should include Canada, I don't believe it will. That is why I love Harold Allen's comments about Damon going in there, and why I believe Pinball should be lobbied for as well.

Nice to see this cooperation between the CFL and NFL, having someone like Marcus there and their father. Not that we absolutely need any NFL presence to make us feel proud of our CFL, but it really goes a long way to see that the CFL and NFL are cooperating and see the bigger picture - how great a game football is regardless of the few rule differences between the 2 pro leagues in this continent.

Does anyone remember when Damon considered giving up football to be a pitcher in the majors? Tried out for the Pittsburgh Pirates, played some exhibition ball one spring. I don't remember how he did, exactly, but the fact that he returned to the CFL in the summer should be an indication.

Good for him, though! He will make the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and I hope he (and his brother, whats-his-name) gets mentioned in Guiness.