Cuts

So with Smith being cut and Sims being put on the 6 game injured, who is the mystery QB that is coming in to fill the extra QB spot?

/me watches Kerry Joseph's twitter....

meanwhile the 2nd version of dropsy Getz sticks. Mr stay puff goes on the IR and Mr oh I can see the perfect defender to pass to but dang I look poised in the pocket doing it, Coleman Stick.

Dropping Smith will come back and bite Jones in the butt. His arrogance of basically not wanting anyone from the previous regime will show in his record. Yes last year was long but winning one Grey Cup doesn't make you Lombardi either.

I can't believe Cobb is gone, Denmark gone, and Langford and oh I dropprd the ball again Chiles sticks, might as well kept Getz, even he scored a TD yesterday, we won't have 50/50 season, and suspect more like last year, Jones is a goof!! :x

I agree and yet notice all of his guys stuck? I have a feeling by the end of the season Durant will be gone too. The offense was fine last year and yet he decides to blow that up too. Starting to get really angry so I better leave it at that.

Oh and just like last year we are 0-2 for the preseason. Yes I know a lot of rotation of players but still we have guys playing out of position trying to make them more versatile and that is great if you have had guys playing together for a long time. This right now is just adding more to the pile for the new guys to adjust to. Lol how about we get good first and then get versatile or creative later? Nah that would be too boring for Jones.

Grondin shocks me, as does Picton and to some degree Sears

The QB moves means they have likely picked up Boyd or someone else

I feel Smith may have sealed his fate when he was pulled and Durant tried talking to him and Smith blew him off. I get it…you are pissed…you can’t do that though. In a recent interview Jackson made it pretty clear that sticking with the play and seeing pressure was in need of improvement immediately…Smith then went out and tucked a handoff and took off with it…he did himself no favours

Some real head scratching moves…but a lot can change still over the next week…rosters are so fluid right now…really disappointed in some of the moves though.

I really really really hope you are not trying to imply that the preseason is any indicator as to how the season will go as it has been proven that the preseason provides no indicator how it will go with any team. Some of Saskatchewan's best years have been with an 0-2 preseason.

2004 2w preseason finished 9-9 (Lost West Final)
2005 2l preseason finished 9-9 (Lost East Semi)
2006 2w preseason finished 9-9 (Lost West Final)
2007 2w preseason finished 12-6 (Won Grey Cup)
2008 1w 1l preseason finished 12-6 (Lost West Semi)
2009 2l preseason finished 10-7-1 (Went to Grey Cup)
2010 2l preseason finished 10-8 (Went to Grey Cup)
2011 1w 1l preseason finished 5-13 (Missed Playoffs)
2012 2l preseason finished 8-10 (Lost West Semi)
2013 1w 1l preseason finished 11-7 (Won Grey Cup)
2014 1w 1l preseason finished 10-8 (Lost West Semi)

Sure it can but there won't be much time for any evaluation of replacements with the team given that the team has this week off. I wouldn't be surprised if we do not see any signings this week so that Jones can workout players that are unsigned without having the CBA interfere.

Yeah, definitely. We also do not know who is on the NegList for cuts so that they can hold them for a bit (Dyer likely)...or people going back to school. Grondin...for example....is apparently hurt a bit...I expect him back. the rosters are so fluid this time of the year....big reason the preseaosn should have an extra week

Also...I believe that by Thursday they will be working again

No I know preseason really means little as far as how the team will finish in the standings but there was some for shadowing of what to expect last year in what we saw in the preseason. Yes Durant getting hurt last year in the first game didn't help us but the defense also was bad in the preseason and remained that way. This year they look better but still some concerns when you allow some pretty good numbers to the other teams offense. Now there certainly seems to be some concerns on what we have on our offense. No I'm not worried about Durant other then if he can stay healthy. Still RB seems to be a big issue and other then Roosevelt who was here last year who else looks good? No one apparently, and yet we made changes for the better? Yeah I know we improved the over all situation of the team with some of those changes but does that mean we will be better on the field or in the standings? Not sold on it being so in the near future, down the road perhaps but there is nothing written in stone that says it is so either.

G I'm not crying over Brett Smith. He wasn't that good. He is popular because of the style that he plays. It's easy to like a guy who plays balls out and emotional. He's also a scrambler which is more fun to watch than a pocket passer. Ten years ago Maas was a lot more popular than Ray for the same reasons. Maas was a gunslinger and was extremely vocal on the bench. Ray wwas methodical and quiet. But we all know who's going to the hall of fame and who isn't.

Smith looked terrible in pre season which is inexcusable for q guy who lookd half decent laat year starting several games. Then there's his sulky attitude. I was never that big of a Smith fan. Of course the real problem here is that with him gone there is literally no one else behind him. Coleman is nowhere near ready. Who's out there, Mitchell Gale? Please don't say MacPherson. He's been around forever and done squat.

The cu

Apologies for choppy msging, my computer died and posting from my phone sucks ass. Anyways,the cut that pissed me off royally was Hollins. This defense is threadbare at the back and they just cut their best cover guy. Really makes me think that Jones wants all of last year’s guys gone just for the sake of it. To cut guys just to show everyone that he can end anyone that he wants. I can’t think of any other reason. He’s a damn good player and young too.

FML

G I'm not crying over Brett Smith. He wasn't that good. He is popular because of the style that he plays. It's easy to like a guy who plays balls out and emotional. He's also a scrambler which is more fun to watch than a pocket passer. Ten years ago Maas was a lot more popular than Ray for the same reasons. Maas was a gunslinger and was extremely vocal on the bench. Ray wwas methodical and quiet. But we all know who's going to the hall of fame and who isn't.

Smith looked terrible in pre season which is inexcusable for q guy who lookd half decent laat year starting several games. Then there's his sulky attitude. I was never that big of a Smith fan. Of course the real problem here is that with him gone there is literally no one else behind him. Coleman is nowhere near ready. Who's out there, Mitchell Gale? Please don't say MacPherson. He's been around forever and done squat.

The cu

So I have to ask how did Gainey and Brooks stick? Gainey was a PI nightmare in game one and yesterday they picked on Brooks all game and burned him plenty and yet they both get the thumbs up? yet Tyree is let go?

If Jones is going to claim he is making the best team he can then why cut a better player? This is another thing that makes me mad. If Hollins was an Eskimo last year any takers that he would still be here? My money is that he would.

Gainey is a mixed bag of tricks…stellar at times and boneheaded at times. He had one of the best camps for all DBs though. I wouldn’t say he is a given lock as far as security goes…but in a total revamping adding the vet experience is probably smart…work in new faces as time passes. The roster is going to be fluid and there will be several changes in the weeks to come…jones has said that due to the high turnover there will be more moves during the season than there will be in the future…I would suspect the secondary will be one of the areas fluctuating the most.

Hollins was fairly invisible in camp. Didn’t have a bad camp, but didn’t stand out…he did more so in the first couple days, but people caught up. If he was an Eskimo last year…yeah…he might be…because the staff would know him better and what he can bring. It is no secret that coaches go with players and coaches they are familiar with when they can and often are bias because of that…nothing new…but he was at best at the same level as others. Cox, for example, had exceeded him by a fair bit.

Brooks was a lock…he is a great DB. He played about as good as possible in the first game. The fact he was beaten in the 2nd game is concerning…I mentioned this before…but various media persons have said it seemed to be more an assignment issue than Brooks himself…tough to say without seeing.

my gut tells me jones doesn't want Durant either but he's not sure he can get away with that. pretty sad what we 've turned into

Your gut tells you that? And yet he has done nothing but speak highly of him, and one of his first acts in his job was to fly out to sit down with DD to tell him the game plan, and DD bought into it enough that he restructured his contract? I mean, to each their own, but I see no indication of that. If Jones had a younger QB who had shown very well the past 1-2 years with DD out...yeah...no doubt he ponders making a move. If you can save ~200k off cap you have to consider it at minimum.

You have to admit though Depop is seems to be an awfully big coincidence that any player that the fans really like they seem to find themselves on the chopping block. I'm not saying Jones would go as far as cut someone just to prove he is running things but I also wouldn't bet my life on him not doing it either.

I don't really find that. Saw 2 of the more overpriced contracts in the league leave...that was a bloody shame, but understandable...the most popular player on the team restructured, the most or second most popular guy on the OL restructured (toss up between LaBatte and X IMO)....Getz was crazy popular but after 2 years of injury and not fairing well in a medical check on it can anyone really fault that (and I don't care about his contact because it would have been a little over half what he was making).

Who else is there?
Allen? I wouldn't say he was super popular...Messam was way more popular and gone before Jones...though right now I would probably prefer Allen over Steele...which says a lot, because I am not a big Allen fan.
Brown? Solid player...yet has signed nowhere...which is shocking...but tells you somethig
Brack...the coaching staff absolutely ruined him last year by not cracking the whip on his tackling they devalued him huge
Hollins...like I said...he was clearly beat out in camp....which disappointed me, because he definitely started strong...the only person who started stronger in the secondary was Sears (still upset he is gone...he was having an amazing camp until he was moved...might be more to that...not sure, but heard there was some potential conflict). Now don't get me wrong...he might be a face seen again with the Riders. I would suspect he is not traveling far just yet. That said...I wouldn't exactly call him a fan favorite...though he may have gotten there.
Daughty? Sorry...I will take Jones over Jake....though I loved his attitude and smarts.
Smith is the only one I really see...I was over the moon about him, but the fact he had 3 concussions in a year...big risk for a guy who plays like he is a foot taller and 60pounds heavier. Was hard to see him depart...would love to know what he was offered...I may dig on that one a bit.

Am I missing a big name?

Brett Smith? He was pointedly told by Jackson, MacAdoo and Jones (Jackson spoke about it the most to the media of the 3) that in the second game he needed to run the plays from the pocket because they needed to evaluate that, calm down the emotions, and needed to stop calling his own number on the fly, and needed to not scramble as much inside the pocket...stand his ground, read the D and deliver or throw it away. What did he do? he came in and immediately pulled a handoff away from a RB and ran his own number, took an iffy hit on it, got up and smacked the defender taking a major, got yanked and walked passed his QB coach and wouldn't look at him, then refused to talk to Durant on the sideline? What would you do??? It is a shame...because when he went back in he played well and did what he was supposed to....granted again 3rd and 4th stringers...but he ran what he was supposed to and executed...had he done that from the start he is still in town and is the #2....but when you snub the leadership like that...temper or not, and he did it last year at least 1 time as well...you are showing you are hard to coach. QB has to be poised

Don't get me wrong...there are some iffy ones that maybe a guy coulda stayed over a guy coming in...but I see 3 things in those:
A - those were not fan favorites
B - He is changing the core of a 3 win team...and I can't fault him for that. Much like Austin came in and did in Hamilton...He inherited a team that was a respectable 2nd place 1 year removed but regressed to a last place team...he ripped that team to shreds and rebuilt it. No...I don't think that there will be the same turnaround here because the East was a fair bit weaker then and the West is pretty strong with Edmonton and likely Calgary.
C - yup...as I have said...coaches will often give preference to a familiar face...and often be too bias about it. If he had not been coming off a championship team it might be a bigger deal...but can you blame someone for wanting to take pieces of that with them? The one big bias that I don't like...as I have said...is seemingly the one in Steele.

Yeah...some popular players are going...don't really see any of them as being targeted except for perhaps Dressler on some level and Brack. At the end of the day there is one thing that Jones is motivated by....winning....and if you fit his mold you are in....if you do not fit that vision you are out (can't blame anyone for standing by their vision in anything)....if DD comes in and sucks...he will be looking.....if he comes in and wins Jones will love him. Same goes for every player, mixed with a little bias here and there for guys who go above in effort and bias against for people that he doesn't like as much or lack effort and execution...and more than anything...steady improvement that he desires.