Cutdown Tracker: Teams make their first round of cuts

Agreed. I think the PA has to push for a higher entry-level salary. I would also suggest pushing for higher RB salaries. Running backs take an enormous amount of physical punishment, their careers are significantly shorter than other positions, and they are cast aside the moment they’ve lost a step.

Quarterbacks are already very well-paid. I don’t want to see QBs (or WR1 or star DEs, etc.) making $100k more. I want to see the guys on special teams, or in their first year in the league, making more money.

Whenever anyone talks about a player being “greedy” for wanting a big contract, remember this time of year, when guys are getting cut left, right, and centre, many of them players who came up to Canada just to keep their football careers alive.

3 Likes

I would also say that raising the lower end salaries and minimum salary is also much more useful in competing with the spring league du jour. Whether a top QB makes $100,000 more or not has zero impact on this.

3 Likes

Wow, this page is certainly not tracking Als’ roster moves in real time. We’ve cut Jeremy Banks and suspended J.R. Reed, Mike Weber Jr., and Preston Williams, besides adding Matt Severance, Charleston Rambo, and (as of today) Geoffrey Cantin-Arku and Michael Herzog, but the only item on this page is Bryce Notree’s release from a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

I’m guessing his release was based on the fact he dislocated his shoulder last September, and it’s still not healed 8 months later. Sounds like he’ll be out long term.

Suspension List, Suspended List
A player who violates his contract with the Club may, upon application to the Commissioner, be placed on the League Suspension List as defined in Section 9, Item C of the CFL By-laws. Players placed on the Suspension List do not count against the active roster or reserve list limits. Most commonly being placed on the suspended list is the result of a player not reporting to training camp or leaving the team/not attending practice during the season without team approval.

2 Likes