Cut the Fans?

I've never heard anything racist said at IWS either, but I suppose it could happen.

Can't wait for Friday's game...another loss and more cuts...

Then they would likely tell you that you can't spell.

Ya I think they are still there.
I sit in box I just behind a few older couples that are in the first row or 2.

For the most part Box I isn't that bad at all....just one or two dudes behind me that get on Maas now and then, and that rode Brazzell hard lol was kinda funny though!!!
I can hear some fans from Box J loud and clear and wow am I glad I'm in Box I!!!!!

Cheers!!!
Hoping for a good game on friday!!!!

ok you Hamilton faithful....as fans you suck! I have been to many games in the CFL including the Labour Day Classic between Edmonton and Calgary. I have never heard a stadium be as un professional as your old faithful Ivor Wynne. Who Boo's their team in the first quarter when the score is 0-7? You guys...Who boo's when a pick is thrown with 14 minutes to go in the fourth quarter and the ticats are down by 9....you do. "Blue collar" is an excuse to boo at the games and @itch about it ALL week at work! Get a Life you faithful Ticat fans....Support the team you have. Strange concept I know! Maybe you're to stupid to even do that!

ILoveHamilton, I liked your answer to my question
about how The Golden Rule applies to comments
that people shout out at sports events.

As you say, cheering our opponent's failure,
probably makes him feel terrible but we do that,

and there is nothing positive,
or golden rule about that but,
as you say, most of us do it.

That is by definition 'heckling'

I am not against heckling OUR OPPONENTS.

heckling; shouting disparaging comments
about the performance of an opponent.

but I am against our fans
heckling our own players.

AND I am totally against
the taunting of any player

whether our own player
OR one of our opponents.

taunting; abusing someone vocally;
expressing contempt or ridicule towards them

or reproaching someone in a mocking,
insulting, or contemptuous manner.

P.S.

Another can of worms would be opened,

if I mentioned the 'trash talk'
that goes on between players.

That is something that draws my ire
especially when done in school sports.

This is a great thread, lots of good posts. As most have noted, people who cross the line with taunting etc. are in the vast minority. Being your own taunt control board, just like being your own liquor control board, is always the best policy. But RonFromTigerTown brings up an excellent point that is in keeping with the original topic of the thread: the tactical and strategic aspects of heckling, booing, cat calls, etc.

It’s one thing to express displeasure with one’s own team, especially in the context of the last 2+ years. But when it gets to the point that it causes players to flip the digit, etc., that is being counterproductive. It means you have put that player off his game. As a fan, that is what you should be doing to the other team.

CFL crowds are referred to as the “The 13th Man? for a reason. This is why I respectfully disagree with the way that Mr. Young talks about the off-field upgrades and the on-field product, as if they were separate entities. The crowd, its atmosphere, and its mood are part of the game, part of the field, part of the play.

The Forbidden Chant is the perfect example. I have personally witnessed on several occasions a stadium-wide chorus of “Argos $uck!? so loud that it caused consecutive time count violations. The Forbidden Chant has created more than its share of two-and-outs over the years. And the players loved it too. Defensive players like Brett the Toaster (to name just one) used to eat it up. Especially after the first time count violation; the Ticat defence would begin waving their arms and imploring the crowd to continue.

Hamilton Tiger-Cat defensive players have always realized the tactical value of the Forbidden Chant. This is why Mike Campbell showed up for his first Tiger-Cat practice with a Forbidden Button pinned to his Jersey – having previously endured the chant while with the bad guys, he had first-hand experience with its ruthless efficiency.

Don Sutherin always used to appreciate the free two-and-out that the Forbidden Chant provided, as did Bruno, Gregory, etc. I have no reason to think that Charlie Taaffe wouldn’t, especially after an 0-4 start.

With this weapon removed from the Tiger-Cat arsenal, it is no wonder that we have struggled. Further, the chant of “Argos $uck!? at Ivor Wynne was not only an effective football tactic, but it also served to channel the fan frustration that now seemingly gets vented upon our own players. Both of these points speak to the reality of the “Forbidden Curse? that is upon us. The over-the-top heckling of our own team documented by Forde is simply the other side of this coin. In terms of what gets yelled from the stands, Ivor Wynne has definitely become a less-pleasant place since the Edict of the Forbidden Chant.

Gee Whiz, this thread is actually beginning to tie together a bunch of other recent threads.

The Curse, the ball is in Bob's court on this one.

He has the public persona of being a happy go lucky type of guy....aw shucks....I'm here to re-build the brand, rebuild the franchise, build the dynasty. All good things, all of which have yet to be conquered ( I guess it could all start with winning a game?.....a SINGLE GAME!)

I've been thinking lately, maybe Bob isn't a Caretaker. Maybe he's the anti-Christ? Born from bits and bytes, building a war chest on the backs of good open sourced people.

BA Johnson is Christ, and the real saviour of the team. BA sings about choirs of angels singing Argos $uck, as a strike at the anti-Christ. The battle is on...we need a SINGLE WIN!!!

Now to the fans, the hecklers, the anti-dental community....step up, be nice and good things will happen.

I have learned to stay away from
comparisons touching on religion [OW!!]

Your Anti dental community remark
might be just as inflammatory.

You surely can't be referring
to anyone from Hamilton, can you?

Maybe you are Troy Westwood and
you are thinking of Regina fans.:oops: :slight_smile:

P.S.

Remember prior to a West Semifinal, Troy Westwood hung
the "banjo-picking inbreds" label on Roughriders fans,
painting them as toothless hillbillies who go through life
plucking something less than a full set of strings.

Jeepers.
I feel like a bad parent for outfitting each of my kids in "Forbidden Chant" T shirts from the age of 7.

I'll be taking them all back now and replacing them with T Shirts reading:
"The Toronto Football Club is not our favourite and we shan't be cheering for them at this time"
or maybe...

Argos Inhale
Alouettes Ingest

Good post, Bunner.
The one thing I think we can't forget is that Bob has filled the stadium. There's something to be said about that aspect of the 13th man. I don't care how loud we are, when there's 14,000 there, it's not intimidating---it's embarrassing. I don't think we've realized the fruits of this, from an atmosphere perspective, since we haven't had anything to cheer about.

I'm patiently waiting for the day, game, season, etc., where we're in a contending situation and 29,000 people are living and dying with every play. I think the lungs and some of the venom will be back.

As for the chant,,,the fans are gonna do what they want anyway. I'm all for it. I think it's fun, simple, loud and gives our team a boost. From a krusty-corporate perspective, maybe it does seem a bit bush league to openly endorse it.

In my opinion, the team should have just stopped putting it up on the scoreboard and stuff if they wanted to distance themselves (as a brand) from the chant...far too much discussion has been made about a pretty tame chant.

I'll continue to belt it out with all the power my throat and lungs can muster!! (Tough to do, though, when we're down 35 zip at the half.)

Our Caretaker is not our Dictator
and has never claimed to be,

it is just that HE PERSONALLY would be
happy if the chant was never used

He does have the power, however, to stop it
from being used on this, his own, website.

All very true. The Forbidden Website has been making the same point for years:

Also quite correct. But the issue is not whether he has the power to do so, it’s the logic behind the act that is in question. And it’s not just the word ban either. There’s also the fact that disavowing the chant is a condition of employment in the Ticat organization. And all sorts of imputations about the chant and its proponents that have yet to be clarified. Combined, these things interfere with the celebration and promotion of the Ticat-Argo/Hamilton-Toronto rivalry.

I'm glad about outlawing the chant on this site. Personally, I too, would like to see it banned everywhere. I don't presume to be a snob, but I find it very annoying and juvenile.

If the opposition MUST be heckled, I'm certain there are better ways.

Actually, some of the nonsense that was being allowed on this site surprised me, but it is quite apparent that the Caretaker is no longer just the owner of the franchise we all endear, he is also a mod. Things on this site are changing for the better.

ok you Hamilton faithful....as fans you ****! I have been to many games in the CFL including the Labour Day Classic between Edmonton and Calgary. I have never heard a stadium be as un professional as your old faithful Ivor Wynne. Who Boo's their team in the first quarter when the score is 0-7? You guys...Who boo's when a pick is thrown with 14 minutes to go in the fourth quarter and the ticats are down by 9....you do. "Blue collar" is an excuse to boo at the games and @itch about it ALL week at work! Get a Life you faithful Ticat fans....Support the team you have. Strange concept I know! Maybe you're to stupid to even do that!
I'm sorry, but is there any team in the league that has done so poorly on the field, for so long, and still had the support of the community like the Tiger-Cats have? Other than the break in 1998-2001, its been a rough go for the Tiger-Cats for decades now, and we've always stood by our team. Do you think that the Argos or Montreal would last more than a few seasons if they did as poorly as we have for so long? We DO support our team, we're more than familiar with the concept.
I am not against heckling OUR OPPONENTS.

heckling; shouting disparaging comments
about the performance of an opponent.

but I am against our fans
heckling our own players.

AND I am totally against
the taunting of any player

whether our own player
OR one of our opponents.

taunting; abusing someone vocally;
expressing contempt or ridicule towards them

or reproaching someone in a mocking,
insulting, or contemptuous manner.

Yeah, I definetly think its possible to go over board with the taunting. Making fun of their performance on the field is fun, and it gets them off their game. If they are proffesional atheletes, even if its not nice they should be able to handle it I think.
if I mentioned the 'trash talk' that goes on between players.

That is something that draws my ire
especially when done in school sports.

Yeah, trash talking between players I've never understood... what if they are your teammate one day? :oops: The other thing that I've never really liked is the excessive touchdown celebrations, ESPECIALLY when they aren't even the end zone yet and they start messing around. The co-ordinated dances you see some teams do I just don't get, but whatever, if it makes them happy.... :thup:

Bunner, about your post with the forbidden chant, I won't quote all of it but I agree with a lot of what you said. Especially the part about the forbidden chant drowning out all noise in the stadium, that was classic. In particular, one complaint from a lot of fans is that going to a game feels more like an "event" than a "football game", the lack of the forbidden chant hurts this.

Last year's Labour Day was a brutal instance of this... I had great box seats instead of my regular section. I was really excited, the best tickets I've ever had. I have avoided attempting to use the chant out of respect for Bob, because he did save the team. But I broke down after a bit and tried to get it going when the Argos offence was on the field RIGHT by my section. A few people came in with me, and than maybe after 3-4 utterences I was told (ironically in language far worse than the chant) to be quiet. So I figured maybe they don't want to hear that so I tried to get a DEFENCE chant going, and with no response, just gave up. I'm not even a loudmouth at football games, despite whatever impression I'm giving off here. Its just, I like to be part of big screaming audience, to me thats part of the fun of a football game, so I will make an effort to make noise when appropriate (defence is on the field, after a big play or score). So instead of making noise we sat and quietly watched our team get beat badly, very depressing. Than last home opener against the Argos, again quietly watching our team get beat, late in the fourth having Argos fans in section 22 use the forbidden chant AGAINST us... very heartbreaking for a long time die hard fan...

And slodrive2 makes a good point that Bob saved the team, so I think by and large people will respect his wishes. He might not be the ayatollah, but he is a respected billionaire that all fans respect for saving the team. Obviously Bob doesn't have the power to single handidly kill the chant, but I do think him coming out against it did effectively kill it, rightly or wrongly. I was told to be quiet the one time I tried to start it, so maybe some people didn't really like it. I could swear they did though when we would have 25k+ people saying it and shutting down plays back in the day! Hopefully when the Tiger-Cats start winning again, than it will feel like a football game again and the loss of the chant won't matter anymore. Because seriously, I just want them to win and see good football, more than anything. :thup:

And doing the wave or the chicken dance isn't juvenile? I mean, c'mon, sports and cheering for sports---hell, even playing sports, is an outlet where we all have licence to be a bit juvenile. We are watching people run around and knock each other over.

Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

And, yes the opposition must be heckled. They are the opposition. The simpler, the better.

Besides, I don't think it gets much more difficult than the Oskee Wee Wee cheer---save for those soccer songs. Let's give ourselves a bit of a break here.

I personally don't like the chant but to ban it is silly. Even I join in now because its forbidden. That said there is no room for the team to actually promote the chant and the fact that the PA announcer is forbidden to utter the phrase is a wonderful development IMO. The chant belongs to the crowd and teams that have actually banned the words have suffered a ton of ridicule. Frankly I love it when I hear the Hartford Wolfpack fans joke about all of the words they have figured out that contain the word suck to thumb their noses at the Manchester Monarchs management. Can you imagine the problem the Monarchs had when they tried to throw out 2 busloads for uttering the words. Ridiculous