Cut the deadwood

This is going to be a lengthy post so please bear with me.

I think that everyone can agree that there are glaring problems with the team right now. If it were not for the woeful seasons in Hamilton and Edmonton the Blue Bombers would be several points out of a playoff spot right now. We’ll make the playoffs, but by default, despite the performance of the team falling far below what we should reasonably expect given the talent level. Most of the players are having great seasons but there is a pile of deadwood that needs to be cut loose either now or at the end of the season.

The coaching staff:

Quarterback coach - Mike Working - At no point in this season has the starting quarterback been ready to play. Kevin Glenn has been around the league long enough to get himself ready despite the coach, so Kevin has not been a major problem. When Kevin came back from injury having been out for a few games, he was not prepared to play however. Neither Mike Quinn nor Brad Banks were prepared when they started. It is Mike Working’s job to get the Quarterbacks ready to play and he has not done his job.

Recivers coach – Bob Dyce - The receiver position is the simplest position on the field. All he has to do is run his route and catch the ball - simple. Week after week the receivers are not prepared to play. A sharp route is a rarity on this team and there are far too many drops. Bob Dyce is supposed to ensure that every receiver is ready to play and he also has not done his job.

Offensive coordinator – Mike Gibson - Where to begin…… ok, Charles Roberts. I would truly like to know what Mike Gibson has against Charles Roberts. If I were Charles I’d be throwing my helmet on the floor and demanding a trade. Roberts is, by far, the best football player in the CFL. And he’s being utterly mishandled in the offense. Success seems to be punishable in this relationship. Taking Charles Roberts out of the offense is, at best, poor judgement.

Gibson gets nervous. His idea of going into a defensive shell in the second quarter might work in the NFL. It has little application here.

Head Coach – Doug Berry - Man I was stoked when we hired this guy. It looked so good early as the team looked disciplined and comfortable. His first mistake was retaining the above assistant coaches. He could have taken over Offensive Coordinator as that was his previous job in Montreal. As for the other two, It’s not too hard to find an ex-QB and a former receiver to coach for half a season. The assistant coaches performance is the responsibility of the Head Coach.

Teams take their cue from the Head Coach. The Head has to lead by example and Doug Berry loses control early and often. Good coaches are calm, cool and collected. When they do become vocal the players pay attention. When the Head Coach loses control as often as Berry the team simply stops responding.

Doug Berry has not done his job and I would cut him lose at the end of this season.

Receivers:

The receivers have, again, not been prepared to play football. Every receiver has dropped balls except Derrick Armstrong. Even Milt Stegell has dropped easy balls. Of this sorry group I would keep most, but a few have to go:

• Andrea Thurman has proven that he can singly handedly lose football games. Drop him now.

• Jamie Stoddard used be on this team because of his hands. As of right now he’s dropped most of the balls that hit him. He makes little effort to go for balls, is afraid of hits and has lost several steps in speed. His presence deflates the offense and he should go now.

• Albert Johnson should be traded immediately for anything else that's useful. Unless there are plans to get him in the starting lineup, he serves no purpose. We can have practically anyone return kicks at least as well as Johnson.

• Kwame Cavil is lazy and appears to be in a fog. They should have his eyes checked and whatever prescriptions changed before having another look. Vast improvement needed to keep his job.

Others:

• Scott Regimbald is another guy who serves no purpose. His running is uninspired to the point of being terrified of contact. His blocking is inconsistent and I wonder if Wade Miller can be coaxed out of retirement to finish the season. Immediate release.

• Henri Childs needs to get his head in the game. The backup running back has to be ready. If Roberts is ready on every down there is no excuse for the backup to be unprepared.

Well there it is, I’ve said my piece. Anyone is free to disagree but you’ll have to work awfully hard to change my mind.

...Don't agree on/.....Getting rid of Doug Berry....no-way....this guy is a rookie and as a rookie coach is definitely entitled to a few errors....as for the people below him....Gibson shows very little imagination and lends nothing to the offence...his postion should be reviewed....Stoddard and Johnson have not been utilized to their proper abilities.....keep them both....Kwami Cavil...for cripes sake.. has a touchdown in his only appearance for the Bombers...then hurt his ankle....i think it would be a 'foggy' decision to get rid of a guy who you haven't really given a chance....same goes for Childs....Thurmann and Brazzell are on the only guys on the bubble right now... :roll:

I agree with papa, how can u put all the blame on Berry. First of all he is a rookie HEAD coach and to do that and O-Cord in your 1st season is insane, way too much pressure for a rookie head coach. I agree with personal cahneges as mentioned, but it all starts at the top with Baur and Taman. Now Taman has done a great job with the little money we have for players...LOL... and has shown he knows how to get players.

As for Brazell and Thurmon , yes they need to leave but not cut, you have to get something in return for them, trade em at the end of the season, don't cut them now. Also AJ3 , you are knocking, name a player that will be on the roster that can return kicks as good as AJ3 with the new rules? TRY? You can't, well o,k Roberts , but why risk injury to a star? Papa said it best about Kwami Cavil, he played one game and had a TD, then he got hurt, how can you say cut him? same goes for childs, when he has played, he was very good, you must be blind if you missed that.

As far as your post in concerned it's kind of a wash as everyone will have a different opinion. Now we should talk QB, you did not mention once trade/cut Glenn or Banks? All the blame was on the recievers in your post, and i'll say this and it won't be the 1st time, GLENN IS NOT A STARTER. Trade Glenn or Banks with Brazell or Thurmon and maybe another player or draft choice for a proven starter, or someone who can start ... re: see BC and SASK, they both have great back-ups who can start and great starters.

A very convincing arguement, but I must disagree like the others re Berry, he will evaluate his staff when the time comes and I would be very surprised if any of the assistants you mentioned get a passing grade. However, I have heard that the Bombers O playbook is 750 pages......wtf, we cant even run 20 or 30 decent plays a game.

As for Johnson, Stoddard, Cavil & Childs, these guys have roles to fill and they do it just fine.

Brazzell, Thurman and Regimbald, imo, serve no purpose and should be replaced by the previous 4 mentioned.

I would also like to see more of Franklin and Eckert as these guys have shown they have good hands and are not afraid to take a hit.

The bye week will be a good thing for us as we will get all but 2 of our starters back in the line up, although Milt could be out thanks to a low blow by Sanchez to the knee. However, if they use Roberts heavy and with Armstrong stepping up we should be ready for the stretch drive.

your an idiot basically your saying we shud cut our whole team like honestly if we do cut them then guess what we cant get anyone else you dumbass because its past that time of year so basically were stuck with what we got intill the year is done you idiot who posted this and how can thurman single handly lose a game huh like are your stupid a WR cant win or lose a game unless the ball goes there way you moron go watch some nfl football idiot

pe?ri?od? /?p??ri?d/ Pronunciation Key [peer-ee-uhd]
–noun
10. the point or character (.) used to mark the end of a declarative sentence, indicate an abbreviation, etc.; full stop.
11. a full pause, as is made at the end of a complete sentence; full stop.

Watch your step Thurmon, 2much2soon stated his point and has every right to do so. If you don't like it, state your reasons why and leave out the insults, it's not the first time you have done this...make it your last ...thanx very much

The team got alot of heart and Pride. I look forward to seeing them in the Playoffs.

looks like Milt may be out for the rest of the reg. season (ouch)...IF this team has the desire and heart to keep it going ..it'll result in us taking the last play-off spot...(if we do better great)...anything can happen in a play-off as has been shown in the past..sooooo though we're hurting i think we'll do alright....Who knows ..somehow... maybe Glenn will throw that switch in his head that makes this guy look like a no 1 qb. and keep it there for the rest of the year...I just have to think about the play he made to Stegall to win with no-time left on the clock against the Esks...We know he's got talent....he just has to let it prevail...instead of doing a Jeykle/Hyde routine...here's hoping... :wink: :thup:

Your receivers (Excluding Stegal)are killing you guys with dropped balls.

I'd get rid of Taman, and get someone in who can find you guys some receivers that can hold onto the ball.

...ARMSTRONG holds on to the ball pretty good sport...this guy is our next Stegall if he hangs around...Kwami Cavill will be in the line-up next game...we'll see how that goes...we ain't done yet... :wink:

You're right Papa, I forgot about Armstrong. That was a nice catch he made on that long throw. He does have potential.

Regimbald...Dropped ball comes to mind.

I can't believe the original poster didn't mention K.Glenn either. It's like watching Tom Burgess after we won the cup in '90... Predictable, and more importantly, ineffective.

Thanks to all who have commented.

I had a talk about this with a freind of mine who pointed out something that I should have considered - that being the salary rates in the CFL give little incentive to play through injury. So I'll take back my comment about Kwame Cavil and give him a chance to show what he can do.

BigBlueFanatic makes a point about Kevin Glenn. I thought at the time that the treatment of Tommy Burgess was unfair and that his play suffered because of the lack of confidence shown by the coaching staff. I think Kevin has all of the tools but is constrained by the coaching philosophy. He has played best when allowed to be creative. I'll give him a passing grade pending an upgrade in the philosophy.

Most of you have found me a bit harsh concerning Doug Berry. I would love to eat my words so it's up to Doug to show me the error of my ways.

Cheers!

papa wrote:

looks like Milt may be out for the rest of the reg. season (ouch)...IF this team has the desire and heart to keep it going ..it'll result in us taking the last play-off spot...(if we do better great)...anything can happen in a play-off as has been shown in the past..sooooo though we're hurting i think we'll do alright....Who knows ..somehow... maybe Glenn will throw that switch in his head that makes this guy look like a no 1 qb. and keep it there for the rest of the year...I just have to think about the play he made to Stegall to win with no-time left on the clock against the Esks...We know he's got talent....he just has to let it prevail...instead of doing a Jeykle/Hyde routine...here's hoping...

Its time for everyone to step up with Milt on the shelf, this could be an opportunity for these guys to gain some much neede confidence if they can win without him.

Doug Brown said it best in his column, for some reason when they have to win they find a way but when it comes to taking advantage of oppotunities to distant themselves, they just dont play with urgency.....could it be the coaches are not getting them prepared mentally.

...MENTAL CONDITIONING....is just as big a factor as physical conditioning in any sport...right on piggy.....we have to be mentally prepared ..going into this last stretch of the season....and it's up to the coaching staff to get them there...There has been far too many let-downs this year...(injuries didn't help)..as far as recognizing your opponents weaknesses and strengths...We should have capitalized on a few...Sports can be brutal ...in that ....when you have a guy on the ropes ....you finish him off...that makes a winner...Somehow i don't think we have developed that type of killer instinct yet on our club...Physically ..i know we have the tools....Mentally we haven't arrived...we just seem to meander along....One thing i didn't like last game...and this could have been a mental lift ...instead of a let-down...when Milt took that shot to the back of the knees....I recall him going after a Toronto player for doing that same thing to Thurmann earlier in the year......He went right after the ref. ...and got into the grill of the guy who did it...Ivory i think it was...Where was Milts support?...little things maybe ...but a mental lift for this club...would have been to address Mr. Santchez in a not too polite way...and let him know....You don't take out our no. 1 receiver ...clean shot or not..we seem to be on a long learning curve on this team...just my thoughts... :expressionless: